PDA

View Full Version : Cancer fears returned after long period of doing well :(

LG18
15-03-18, 15:53
So I’ve been going to CBT therapy for my health anxiety. It’s been going great, and for several months I’ve been able to control my anxiety by reassuring myself and trying to deal with the uncertainty.

However, one of my biggest crutches was that I presumed that if you’d had your symptoms for over year, the likely hood of it being cancer is a lot less as it would’ve grown and grown to the point where you would’ve noticed by then.
However, I’ve seen several things in the news recently where people people have had aches for years and then suddenly, it progressed into cancer!

This has really set me back. All my symptoms for various different cancers I thought I had have all come back at once, and now see relevant again - my neck pain, back pain etc that I’ve had for well over a year I’m now worried are potentially serious!

Really struggling now and not sure what to do. :(
I have this pain in my back that radiates through my chest as well and othe stuff in that area. I have some bad posture issues with rounded shoulders that seem like they could be causing it, but I’m now worried it’s actually a sign of bone cancer. There’s also a moveable lump in my back that I’ve noticed when I’ve been prodding around which now I’m worried is released. I’m pinning everything together and making a picture in my mind and I can read stop thinking about.
Not to mention all the other symptoms I’ve had in the past for other things that I’m now thinking about again.

Sorry for rambling, just needed to vent.

I’m only 21 and my life is just a constant fear.

Thanks for reading.

Fishmanpa
15-03-18, 16:26
I have this pain in my back that radiates through my chest as well and othe stuff in that area. I have some bad posture issues with rounded shoulders that seem like they could be causing it

There's your answer

Positive thoughts

LG18
20-03-18, 11:15
There's your answer

Positive thoughts

Thanks for the reply, fishman.

I’m finding it really difficult to judge whether or not I should go to the doctors.
I’ve convinced myself this is bone cancer considering I’ve had trouble in that area for pretty much three years and it’s still there.
It could be postural or to do with my weight lifting but I have no idea whether that’s actually the case and not cancer.

I feel like I don’t have a filter for likelihood. Like the actual chances of me getting it doesn’t come into it, there just has to be a possibility if it happening for it to consume me.
This is why I’m struggling to accept the fear, because I feel I’m just going to die if I ignore it.

Fishmanpa
20-03-18, 11:28
What does your CBT therapist think about it and you posting on the forum for reassurance?

Positive thoughts

Health-Anxiety-Sad
20-03-18, 22:30
Sorry you are feeling so bad. I actually have helped myself by thinking exactly what you said 'if it was cancer you would know about it by now as it would get worse quickly' Im also discouraged by what I read in the media. I strongly urge you not to read stories when the headline is alarmist about health as its the single biggest factor that sends me on a downward spiral. By the time I even finish reading the article my physical symptoms are there. Stay away from bad news stories.