PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain what "Nigh Sweats" are?

wingo22
15-03-18, 17:23
Hi guys,

So for a few days off and on, I feel like I MAY have had what they call Night Sweats???? I don;t know. I have always known that night sweats can be a sign of something serious. When people say they have night sweats which are due to something serious do they mean just a little bit of sweat like from the blankets, or like full out very wet clothes and sheets? I don't have the very wet sheet/shirt thing, but maybe just like a bit of sweat from underarms.

I had a blood test/physical done earlier in the 2018 and everything came back fine. Should I be concerned??

Fishmanpa
15-03-18, 17:26
Simple sweating at night is very common. Something like a shirt or pillow that's a little damp is normal. Night sweats that should be checked out are the type that literally soak the bed to the point the mattress and pillow are soaking wet and you are from head to toe. Real night sweats that would be of concern are when you need to change the sheets and dry out the mattress.

I'm a survivor. I had them. I speak from experience.

Positive thoughts

wingo22
15-03-18, 17:30
Simple sweating at night is very common. Something like a shirt or pillow that's a little damp is normal. Night sweats that should be checked out are the type that literally soak the bed to the point the mattress and pillow are soaking wet and you are from head to toe. Real night sweats that would be of concern are when you need to change the sheets and dry out the mattress.

I'm a survivor. I had them. I speak from experience.

Positive thoughts

Thank you for your quick reply. Mine are not like that at all. How bad did you have yours? and what did you do to get rid of them?

Fishmanpa
15-03-18, 17:43
Thank you for your quick reply. Mine are not like that at all. How bad did you have yours? and what did you do to get rid of them?

I always was a night sweater but just a damp shirt or pillow but from the time my cancer journey started, it was happening nightly until I started treatment. I still have the slight sweats to this day but nothing like that.

It is what it is and you may have slight sweating the rest of your life or not. Less clothes and blankets help. Other than that? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

ColdHands
15-03-18, 18:55
I went into perimenopause and then had my ovaries removed surgically and went into it. I still do not soak my bed, I just get sweaty on my body and get surges of hot body that come and go. But as long as my room is cool enough its ok. I don't use HRT due to cancer risk, so I have been going through the old fashioned way. I don't have day sweats much, mostly at night. Hot flashes and full on night sweats are pretty different. Fishmanpa had a good description. Thyroid issues can cause this too.

wingo22
16-03-18, 14:00
I always was a night sweater but just a damp shirt or pillow but from the time my cancer journey started, it was happening nightly until I started treatment. I still have the slight sweats to this day but nothing like that.

It is what it is and you may have slight sweating the rest of your life or not. Less clothes and blankets help. Other than that? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Oh I see.
But did your sweats turn into the really bad ones that soaked the bed/clothes?