PDA

View Full Version : Can you get a deadly disease from getting sheep blood into your mouth?

Graygray
15-03-18, 20:19
Today during class we were making our own slides with sheep blood on it to put under a microscope so we could see the red and white blood cells. I had my slide on the table and I was using a micropipette to put the blood on the slide and i felt something wet hit my lips.It may have been my spit because I was talking but I dont know? Could I get rabies or some other deadly disease from getting sheep blood in my mouth?

Fishmanpa
15-03-18, 20:21
Being that you didn't get sheep blood in your mouth... NO.

Positive thoughts

Carys
15-03-18, 20:34
I just had to pop on this thread, simply because the title was so deliciously enticing and bizarre.

Anyway...the possible sheep's blood. IF a tiny splash of sheep's blood went in your mouth, which seems very unlikely doesn't it - but IF - then be assured that the animals they will use (and their parts and their blood and other secretions) will be from safe and clean sources. Anything used in student school studies will be from approved sources, probably treated for potential infections and absolutely safe. They don't want to be making students ill !!!

I'd be more worried that it was another student spitting in your mouth, humans ....euuurgghhhh

Graygray
16-03-18, 00:49
I just had to pop on this thread, simply because the title was so deliciously enticing and bizarre.

Anyway...the possible sheep's blood. IF a tiny splash of sheep's blood went in your mouth, which seems very unlikely doesn't it - but IF - then be assured that the animals they will use (and their parts and their blood and other secretions) will be from safe and clean sources. Anything used in student school studies will be from approved sources, probably treated for potential infections and absolutely safe. They don't want to be making students ill !!!

I'd be more worried that it was another student spitting in your mouth, humans ....euuurgghhhh

Even at a university lab it would still be clean?

Fishmanpa
16-03-18, 01:14

Yes

Positive thoughts

Carys
16-03-18, 07:22
Well of course ! You've already had a reply from FMP saying Yes too....but....absolutely. They wont just be popping down to the local farm and blood letting from a sheep lol There are rules and laws about exposing people to accidental infection. Without wishing to be grim about this, say you were to go to your local supermarket and buy a portion of lamb, and you accidentally touched your mouth after touching the raw lamb - would you still be thinking rabies ? Of course not, that was meat you were going to eat, and this will be from the same 'safe' animals.