PDA

View Full Version : Interview Anxiety

WestoftheWood
16-03-18, 23:26
Hello All,

I am really having a tough time lately, I am contracted with a University doing a job I love but have recently told that my contact will not be extended past July 31st. This has been a blow and has sent me spiralling out of control as I don't think I will ever get another job causing me to feel very depressed and unhappy.

I have an interview soon but due to my anxiety and depression, I am struggling to see the positives, remember any of the information I have been researching and just feeling like a bit of a failure before I have ever done the interview. I think one of the issues is the fact that as I will be going up against two colleagues, two people who I think will get the job over me as I have no faith in myself even though I am probably the better candidate.

What can I do? What would you do? and is there any advice on being positive and succeeding in interviews you could give me?

Thank you all!

Fishmanpa
17-03-18, 01:11
I'm currently interviewing for a position. I don't suffer with anxiety but I do understand the stress and self doubt that can affect you.

The best advice I can give you is to study the company and the position. Research the crap out of it. Look at reviews from employees. Read the positives and negatives. Have questions written down to ask.

As far as the interview itself? Answer all the questions honestly. Say "I don't know" if you don't know. For example... One of the toughest questions to answer is "What is your biggest weakness?" and you're bound to be asked that. In my case, it was technical knowledge of current musical technology. I flat out said that when I was asked but added that I'm a quick learner and didn't feel it would affect my abilities to be successful in my job. That answer got me a 2nd phone interview.

You apparently have the experience and qualifications. Know who and what you're up against and kick some rear end!

Positive thoughts (BTW... it's thinking positively that is truly the best advice I can give you!)

WestoftheWood
17-03-18, 11:09
Thank you for the kind words!

I am glad to hear that you have gotten a second phone interview, I hope that you get the position!

I fully understand and appreciate what you have said, I have researched everything and have a wide knowledge but I am worried that I will keep forgetting everything as I need to retain so much. I am trying to be positive, do you know of anything that can help with positivity.

Kind regards!

Hollow
17-03-18, 11:57
Don't try to memorise answers to interview questions word by word because you can come across as sounding robotic. If you forget some words then it can throw you off and hurt your confidence. Also, don't put yourself under too much pressure because at the end of the day it's only a job interview. Just go in prepared, do your best and act confident.

KK77
17-03-18, 14:55
Confidence is key to a successful interview. Knowledge takes you so far along the road but confidence gets you past the post. No one knows everything anyway, and those who claim to do so usually know a lot less than those who don't make such claims.

Don't answer open-ended questions beginning with a "yes" or "no". Eg - "Do you have any weaknesses and if so what are they?" Answer naturally: "I don't believe I have many weaknesses but adjusting to new environment will be a challenge I'm looking forward to." There are no negatives in that answer. A challenge and a problem are simply different viewpoints and attitudes of the same situation.

Wishing you luck.

Chocolateface
17-03-18, 15:02
First impressions count, when waiting do not look at your phone, when the interviewer comes in smile and give a firm warm handshake, thank them for seeing you, take a deep breath and sit down. Know your cv, so you can talk about your experiences, look at the role profile and say how you can meet these criteria. The people interviewing bviously already like you as they are seeing you. Good luck you will be great.

WestoftheWood
20-03-18, 19:53
Hi all,

Thank you for getting back to me all of your answers have been brilliant! I will keep in mind what you all have said and try and relax for now!

Thank you all again!