PDA

View Full Version : Eye twitching for a year - what would you do?

tan235
17-03-18, 22:30
Hi guys!
So yes it's me again, my eye as you has been twitching now for a year!
Seriously!
Sometimes it's both, sometimes it's only one but it's driving me nuts and now my eye is starting to twitch.
I went to a neurologist who said nothing was wrong and I didn't need an MRI.
Went to Ophthalmologist, went to an optometrist, and the Dr.
What the hell is going on?!
Anyone else had a twitch that long- what should I do - I want it stopped.
What would you do?

lior
17-03-18, 23:37
I had a lump in my throat from anxiety for a year. Nothing helped - except dealing with my anxiety, and crying enough to let out all the emotions stored up in me.

I learnt how to get rid of the lump through a process of self-discovery: watching the intensity of the lump and trying to figure out the causes of the changes.

When doctors don't help, self-exploration has been a really good option for me.

Do you know what triggers it getting worse? And getting better?

Lola-Lee
17-03-18, 23:41
Hi tan :)
I have had a twitch in my left eye on and off for at least 6 months,like you I have seen an Opthamologist, because a few years back I had a problem with the Optic nerve,had an operation to fix it.

But now I know the twitching is all due too being stressed out and anxious.Have you been worrying a lot in the last year?do you see a therapist.

tan235
17-03-18, 23:58
IT All started after a neuralgia incident on my face, the twitching did Leave not for 3 months at some stage but then came back. Am I stressed? Hell yes.
I run my own company, I stare at a computer screen 23/7 and I’m a single mum to a very energetic 5 year old plus I have severe health anxiety and I have constant heart palpitations too. So yes I must be on high stress internally.
Am I seeing a therapist - I was - did it help - never does.
Am I on medication - no. Why not? The type of anxiety I had caused fear of medicines :) so you think it’s not a brain tumour slowly growing??

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:57 ----------

Appreciate the responses x and yes a lot of time on the computer makes it worse

KK77
18-03-18, 00:03
Do you wear glasses? Eye strain will trigger twitching.

You know the answer to that last question and that it's your anxiety speaking :lac:

jrcoleman
18-03-18, 00:10
Yeah. If I had a dime for every brain tumor I thought i had because my eye twitched. I not only get the twitching, I also get a heaviness in my eye lid that feels like my eye won't open all the way. Sort of like a weight on my eye lid trying to close it. Drives me nuts, but as the saying goes, that which doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger.

tan235
18-03-18, 00:12
COleman - have you had twitching long?

jrcoleman
18-03-18, 00:14
More than a year. Sometimes it interferes with working on the computer, but I have adjusted to it. I also get twitches in other various parts of my anatomy. I used to freak out about it, but now I let it happen and it eventually goes away for a while. It is a nuisance, but not a danger.

Louna
18-03-18, 07:13
I went to a neurologist who said nothing was wrong

Listen to them! They know what they are talking about.

I actually had a twitch in my eyes for a LONG time, even happened alot in my fingers, but was due to drinking too much caffeine. I cut down and it stopped.

I get the occasional twitch here and there if i’m anxious, though.

Have to remember that Anxiety can cause all sorts of things from literal pain to shaking and twitching.

You are okay :) positive thoughts:hugs:

Carys
18-03-18, 08:23
Yes, I have and I responded to another poster saying just that a few weeks ago......it has stopped for now and has the last few months.....but it was on and off everyday for that long ! I'll see if I can find what I said on the other thread....

---------- Post added at 08:23 ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 ----------

Here we go, the thread from early March about the same problem as yours:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=214907

What would you do?

Well, firstly I didn't do any of the things you've done above. Its one twitching muscle in the eye, entirely benign, a real nuisance but nothing more.

Kingdawson
18-03-18, 10:22
Hi guys!
So yes it's me again, my eye as you has been twitching now for a year!
Seriously!
Sometimes it's both, sometimes it's only one but it's driving me nuts and now my eye is starting to twitch.
What would you do?

An ophthalmologist would have definitely noticed if it was a tumour mate(although an eye twitch isnt even a symptom of a tumour anyway). The nerves on your eyes would be bulging meaing theres pressure...something a opthalmologist would spot a mile off.

Im currently having the annoying eyelid twitch now( had it for 6 weeks). I also get random twitches in othet body parts that last a second or so and just vanish.

The twitch is anxiety mate. I think youve still got it because you still have the belief that its something more serious (hence your brain tumour question). The moment you actually grasp thats its no big deal it will go...but until then it will be there daily.

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

Also you could treat it with botox if its really bothering you?

Josh1234
18-03-18, 19:10
You really need to be on medication. Who cares if you're scared? Look at your life - you're scared all day, every day, about everything, anyway. You don't want this to stop? Nothing anyone has said to you here has helped...why would you think that will change now? You also quit therapy. You're supposed to keep at it, with cognitive behavioral therapists. So more or less, you don't want to put any of the work in required to get better, you'd rather come here daily with a different issue and demand emotional labor from everyone else.

Kingdawson
18-03-18, 22:01
Btw
http://scarysymptoms.com/2017/01/can-brain-tumor-cause-eyelid-twitching/

tan235
20-03-18, 05:31
yeah ... botox is a good one, medication is another, I"m bloody terrified to take medication!
That means there is something wrong with me and I fight myself everyday to prove that there isn't anything wrong with me but deep down I"m bloody miserable.
I"m tired, I have no energy, I've lost my motivation to do anything yet I push through everyday with a smile on my face ..... this is just my life, which I love yet I'm not fullfilled... OMG ...... do I really need medication???

---------- Post added at 05:31 ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 ----------

THANK YOU xxx

Yes, I have and I responded to another poster saying just that a few weeks ago......it has stopped for now and has the last few months.....but it was on and off everyday for that long ! I'll see if I can find what I said on the other thread....

---------- Post added at 08:23 ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 ----------

Here we go, the thread from early March about the same problem as yours:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=214907

Well, firstly I didn't do any of the things you've done above. Its one twitching muscle in the eye, entirely benign, a real nuisance but nothing more.

Becalm1
20-03-18, 06:27
That sounds really annoying having the twitch go on for so long. I'm from a natural medicine background and depending on the finer details would consider magnesium supplement (powder from is best). Often eye twitching can be due to magnesium deficiency. Might be worth looking into if you haven't already tried it. The magnesium will also help with stress management (and high stress can cause magnesium levels to deplete). Perhaps it might be worth asking your GP or local pharmacist if this might be a good option for you.