PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks while driving, any tips?

Erinclg
20-03-18, 02:27
I have suffered from panic attacks for the past 15 years or so. My symptoms are shortness of breath, dizziness, hyperventilating, and feeling that I am going to faint. I have been able to control my panic attacks in most situations but driving is the one stubborn situation that I can’t get over. When I drive I feel like my panic symptoms put others and myself at risk behind the wheel I am unable to calm myself down. I first stopped driving on major highways where I feel like I can not safely get out of the situation if I need to, but recently have been unable to drive on smaller roads too. Does anyone else experience this? If so, do you have any tips to help control my panic while driving?

nosrednanagem
20-03-18, 08:03
I feel like I wrote this! Mine started with not being able to drive on the interstate and highways, lately I’ve been finding it hard to even drive my kids to school that’s 3 miles away! I’m not sure how or what can help me at this point.

kelly135
20-03-18, 18:04
I have suffered from panic attacks for the past 15 years or so. My symptoms are shortness of breath, dizziness, hyperventilating, and feeling that I am going to faint. I have been able to control my panic attacks in most situations but driving is the one stubborn situation that I can’t get over. When I drive I feel like my panic symptoms put others and myself at risk behind the wheel I am unable to calm myself down. I first stopped driving on major highways where I feel like I can not safely get out of the situation if I need to, but recently have been unable to drive on smaller roads too. Does anyone else experience this? If so, do you have any tips to help control my panic while driving?

I have been having this issue the last three months and I can't seem to get past it. I used to love driving, so this is just showing me how my anxiety about other issues is impacting me. I could use some tips, too!

nomorepanic
20-03-18, 18:13
Have a read of this:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/coping#Whilst_Driving

Erinclg
20-03-18, 19:34
It’s nice to know that I am not alone in this feeling. Thank you so much Nicola! I’ll give those tips a try :)

PatriUCLA
02-04-18, 06:22
... I feel like I can not safely get out of the situation if I need to ...
These are the words I told to my doctor and he gave me a very simple answer/advice: "go out with your car and stop it anytime you want even if you do not need to. In this way you will have the proof nothing bad will happen to you and you will always be able to get out of the situation".
That morning I stopped my car 11 times before going home. The first time I felt strange but then I've seen that my doctor was right ... We can always get out of the situation even if our head tells us the contrary and makes us to worry.
I started to feel much more comfortable with myself while driving.
Hope this trick can be helpful to somebody :)

fishman65
02-04-18, 14:50
This is what I was getting on the run-up (and after) to Christmas/new year just gone. It 'seems' to have gone into the background lately. However, what I would say to you guys is, 'what happens if you start to panic while driving?'. Do you lose control of the vehicle and crash? My guess is that you don't, which proves that no matter what anxiety tries to make you feel, you will not crash the car.

Just hold the steering wheel firmly with both hands (as we should anyway, anxiety or not) and carry on. The panic will pass once you realise your driving isn't ending in disaster. Now I just need to tell myself this :shades: I do understand though, you are all doing brilliantly :hugs:

robinhall
02-04-18, 16:21
Hi Erin
You need to get a better understanding of panic attacks and learn about graduated exposure

Go to cbt4panic.org

Read the 3 main workbooks
Book 1 is understanding panic
Book 2 is skills to help you cope with panic
Book 3 is learning about planned graduated exposure to overcome panic

Your recovery is on your own hands :-)

PatriUCLA
02-04-18, 20:32
.....The panic will pass once you realise your driving isn't ending in disaster....

fishman65 you touched the main point. In my case the anxiety starts if I think that I can remain trapped in the car in case of accident or huge traffic that's the reason why if I prove myself I can safely leave the car anytime I want, panic doesn't come up.

fishman65
02-04-18, 20:40
Exactly PatriCULA, we are in control when we are driving...much more so than in a queue at a supermarket checkout for instance.