PDA

View Full Version : ALS Anxiety

horn777
22-03-18, 23:47
19 yo male here. One evening a few days ago I got a thumb twitch for maybe 20 minutes, me being me I decided to google it and boy oh boy was I wrong to do so. And I also decided to google it because I've been misdiagnosed with LHON and not that I don't trust doctors, but you know.
I kinda logically thought then, hey, I can't have ALS or Parkinson or whatever, but this fear of dying in 5 years was planted deep inside my brain. Besides, I've been to 2 neurologists in the last month due to eye thrombosis and you know they had to rule out conditions like Multiple Sclerosis. And while they didn't look specifically for ALS or Parkinson's, they pretty much said: "GTFO UR FINE LULZ!!1", MRI guys said the same thing btw. Anyway, I did some strength tests(like picking up a 12" ipad pro and a 15" macbook pro together with your index finger and a thumb with palm not touching, they're heavy af btw) and called it quits.
The next day my left arm started feeling , not "after exercise weak", but just weak, like I've been working out for a considerable amount of time minus the soreness, so more strength tests! Except picking up a Blue yeti microphone countless times I picked up 2 kilo weights I had lying around. And I even tried picking up a 2L bottle of Coke, now that I did, I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it, ever. Today I did tapping tests, idk why, because I don't have any point of reference, but 60-61 is my consistent result on both hands.
So yeah, I understand that I don't have ALS or Parkinson's or MS but I can't do anything to get those worrisome thoughts out of my head. Mainly I'd like my arm to start feeling normal again to be honest. I can't do "relax and forget about *insert something you'd like not to bother you*" like others can. I've even asked my father, who is a doctor, not a neurologist, but doctor is a doctor. And he said I had a so called "third year med student illness". Which is basically when they were studying all the symptoms of all the different diseases and you know, they were like: "hey I think I have symptoms of that, or this".
I'm thinking my arm is not only sore and weak because anxiety, but also because I'm not very used to exercising and all of a sudden I've exposed my non dominant arm to a whole bunch of it.
So yeah, that's my story so to speak. What do you guys think and how do I get this out of my head?

Ascetic
23-03-18, 05:26
My advice is to do whatever your favorite thing to do is – whether it’s playing a sport, playing a video game, reading a book, etc. And while you are swept away by this activity you might find that all of the symptoms melt away.

That has helped me to take a step back and realize how much of what I have been feeling has been strongly influenced by my attention to it. Next thing you know the thumb twitch and arm feelings will be old news.

And, of course, stop with all of the experiments and tests you’re doing on yourself – I fell into that trap too and it’s dangerous... Good luck!

horn777
24-03-18, 01:21
My advice is to do whatever your favorite thing to do is – whether it’s playing a sport, playing a video game, reading a book, etc. And while you are swept away by this activity you might find that all of the symptoms melt away.

That has helped me to take a step back and realize how much of what I have been feeling has been strongly influenced by my attention to it. Next thing you know the thumb twitch and arm feelings will be old news.

And, of course, stop with all of the experiments and tests you’re doing on yourself – I fell into that trap too and it’s dangerous... Good luck!

Hi! Thanks for advice. Yes, gaming and guitar do help to get my mind off the arm thing. But after that, the feeling returns. And now I think I've overworked it a bit with all those strength tests and it hurts all the time :):)
Does definitely feel stronger now though :roflmao: