PDA

View Full Version : My ultrasound showed a fatty liver

Dave_Lister
23-03-18, 17:54
Hi everyone,

I am going to see my GP today because I have been having pain in my right side so he sent me for blood work and an ultrasound, and the ultrasound technician said everything looked fine except for some fat on my liver and that I should be ok if I drop some weight.

I have been drinking more since last fall usually drinking 3 8% tall can beers about 3-4 night a week, and then occasionally binging on a weekend here and there.

I am sort of scared that he is going to tell me that I have something serious today, and i would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar issue.

MY HA is gotten a lot better, but I am a little nervous today.

Scass
23-03-18, 21:01
How did you get on at the GP?

Cutting out/or down the drinking would probably really help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_Lister
23-03-18, 23:24
I haven't been yet.

My appointment is in 45 minutes from now here in Canada.

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Just got back and bloods are all clear but my liver has more fat on it from when I did in 2015. He didn’t seem at all concerned and just said to lose weight and cut back on my beers.

jrcoleman
24-03-18, 00:20
Just cut back on drinking. I also switched to a whole foods (no meat, no dairy, no cheese) diet and that helped me drop a ton of weight and reduce my fatty liver. That might be a little extreme for most people, but I was really in shitty condition and it helped a lot.

nomorepanic
24-03-18, 00:33
I have a fatty liver due to being overweight as well

Dave_Lister
24-03-18, 01:44
Yea, the Dr wasn’t concerned at all. He said he has never had a patient with a fatty liver turn into something more serious.

Scass
24-03-18, 07:55
That’s good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ServerError
24-03-18, 15:53
Yeah, fatty liver was an incidental finding on my recent ultrasound. My doctor said it's best to see it as a message that something needs to change, but it's not something to panic over.

It's common in heavy drinkers, and the first thing the doctor said to me was to cut down on my drinking. I pointed out to him that I almost never drink and he said it'll be dietary changes and lifestyle, so that's okay with me.

Fatty liver is very common. Most people who have it won't know they have it because they haven't had an abdominal ultrasound. It's nothing to freak out about. The liver is an incredibly resilient organ, but the best thing to do is see at as a message from your body that something about the way you live needs to change.

Dave_Lister
24-03-18, 17:31
For sure Server!

I have been having a bunch of beers over the last while and gained weight so I defo see it as a warning to cut back and get back into shape.

ankietyjoe
24-03-18, 21:21
It's almost certainly the booze. That's a lot of booze you're drinking, probably 3-4 times the recommended amount.

christy67
25-03-18, 00:07
I’m so happy the doctor isn’t concerned. I have drank 2 glasses of wine a night for years. Right night I have high liver enzymes and I’m completely freaked out. My doctor does not think it is the wine but possibly the antibiotics and Advil I was taking. But in the back of my head I’m like did I damage my liver? Going to retest in 2 weeks and have gone cold turkey. Now I have nothing to curb this anxiety that is off the roof!

Dave_Lister
25-03-18, 06:50
Even if you did do some damage, it can be reversed by a change in lifestyle, so relax. It’s gonna be fine.