PDA

View Full Version : Ingrown Toenail- Redness on edges not disappearing!

anon23
25-03-18, 12:56
Hi everyone!

Hoping someone might be able to relieve my worries or advise me on the best course of action.

Around 2 months ago, I developed an ingrown toenail on my big toe. It was quite painful and sore, and 2 days after I noticed it pus and blood started coming out. I soaked it in hot water with soap and salt, and although I knew it wasn't the best idea I chose to perform 'bathroom surgery' out of desperation. Although I didn't successfully remove the ingrown nail, the pain disappeared but I became very worried as the redness around the edges of my toes was not going away after a month. Visited the GP twice and they said it seemed like the infection was self healing but that I should use antibiotic ointment anyways, which I did, and made no difference.

Went to the podiatrist and they removed the ingrown nail- quite frankly this made no difference to me as like I said the pain was gone I was just worried about the redness on edges of toes.

Well it's been 3 weeks since the nail was removed and redness has not gone away around the edges, it had gone down but flares up when I walk or do exercise. Again, I had felt no pain or discomfort until a few days ago, when I noticed an ingrown nail growing on the opposite end. I know I should have learnt my lesson the first time but sadly attempted to remove it myself again and think I have made things worse!

I will schedule another appointment with the podiatrist but I'm just worried that I've had this redness around my toe for nearly 2 months and have not really had any pain or discomfort for the most part- terrified I am going to get sepsis or a bone infection from what I have read online!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Bigboyuk
25-03-18, 13:06
Hi Well you don't need me to say this, but I would stop googling it doesn't help with your HA condition it just fuels it :eek: I have a had a ingrowing toenail in the past where the nail got that bad it was growing under the skin underneath my big toe so every time I tried to walk the pain was horrendous went to my dr who got me a out patients appointment and had it surgically removed about 5 mins later it was done and given some antibiotics to take away the infection yes I wanted to have a go my self at removal, don't it can make matters much worse so make a appointment with your dr and ask after it's been removed for antibiotics to clear any infection away. Let us know how you get on ATB

anon23
25-03-18, 13:32
Thank you! I know I really am trying (failing) to avoid Dr. Google...I think my big concern is that I actually am not feeling a lot of pain but the redness, particularly on the bottom edge of my toe, is not disappearing.

Will hopefully get an appointment in the next few days and see what the doc says!

Bigboyuk
25-03-18, 14:38
Thank you! I know I really am trying (failing) to avoid Dr. Google...I think my big concern is that I actually am not feeling a lot of pain but the redness, particularly on the bottom edge of my toe, is not disappearing.

Will hopefully get an appointment in the next few days and see what the doc says! Simple really get out and about its really sunny and quite warm today get out get busy :) If your toe is infected it will need antibiotics to sort it out so a dr's appointment is needed and again please talk to your dr about all the googling you are doing and ask for help with your HA ATB

anon23
31-03-18, 12:18
Hello! Just an update- went to doc and they said the toe was not infected nor was the nail ingrown. The podiatrist said the reason my toe keeps getting red is because I have cut my nail too short and it is getting irritated, she thinks I should do a minor op where the sides of the nails are cut as she does not believe the nail would grow out by itself without getting ingrown again. She's asked me to monitor for the next few weeks and book a follow-up appointment to see if surgery potentially can be avoided.

I think my biggest lesson is that I should stop trying to perform 'bathroom surgery' on my toe. I haven't touched in a week and there is now hardly any redness!

Thanks for your responses was much appreciated :)

Bigboyuk
31-03-18, 12:30
Hello! Just an update- went to doc and they said the toe was not infected nor was the nail ingrown. The podiatrist said the reason my toe keeps getting red is because I have cut my nail too short and it is getting irritated, she thinks I should do a minor op where the sides of the nails are cut as she does not believe the nail would grow out by itself without getting ingrown again. She's asked me to monitor for the next few weeks and book a follow-up appointment to see if surgery potentially can be avoided.

I think my biggest lesson is that I should stop trying to perform 'bathroom surgery' on my toe. I haven't touched in a week and there is now hardly any redness!

Thanks for your responses was much appreciated :) This is good news anon, think you have learned your lesson and now the results are good less redness, less irritation = happy toes :D Keep up the good work thanks for the update! ATB