PDA

View Full Version : DNA test

Librella
25-03-18, 19:19
Against my better judgment, I let a friend talk me into uploading my AncestryDNA results into Promethease, which spits out health information based on your genetics. I KNEW it was gonna freak me out, and I can't stop thinking about it.

Of course, there were dozens of genes that could indicate a higher rate of getting horrible diseases. Everyone has those. I even had two brca1 mutations, but I've heard that most people have false positives for that anyway. Breast cancer is still one of my worst fears since so many people in my family had it.

It also says I have about a 50% chance of having the Factor V Leiden mutation which is a blood clot disorder that makes you more likely to have blood clots. Having a blood clot/stroke is something I'm terrified of and is often what my HA focuses on, so now I'm scared. And I keep thinking I see symptoms of a blood clot now. The other day I was dizzy after working out because I hadn't eaten anything (duh), but I thought I might be having a pulmonary embolism. Then yesterday I got a cramp in my shoulder/neck and I'm worried it's an arterial tear and I'm going to get a blood clot and die. Should I talk to a genetics counselor to allay my fears? Am I just being crazy?