PDA

View Full Version : How I overcome health anxiety

hope_girl
25-03-18, 20:51
Hello. I wanted to write this primarily for myself, but also to share with others and get feedback/support from people who understand what it's like to live with health anxiety. I like to look at this as a success story but it's not what you would typically think of when you hear "success story" because that implies that whatever it was you were struggling with is now gone forever, off beyond the sunset never to bother you again. Unfortunately this has not been my experience with HA. I'm not saying it's not curable. Maybe it is! I would LOVE to be completely cured. But every time I've felt finally free from it, I'm surprised by a new comeback. If you're a long term HA sufferer, you know the desperation when it returns after being silent for months, even years.

I've spent countless time working towards a cure for this thing. I've seen many counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists. I've tried special diets, eliminating inflammatory foods, eating gut healthy foods, etc. I've tried vitamins, supplements, sleep medications, anti-anxiety meds, anti-depressants. I've tried various exercises, meditation, deep breathing. I've perused websites like this one, read books, talked with other HA sufferers in person. And yest, the struggle persists.

What I've realized (after being told by my therapist) is that where I am now may be as good as it gets for me. And where I am now is honestly pretty good. Yes, I have relapses into the HA. It can come on suddenly and if I'm not careful, can snowball into a long lasting problem. But I thought I would share some of the methods I've used to help myself over the years. So here goes.

First of all, I do take Cymbalta which has been a good fit for me. Not everyone wants/needs drugs to deal with things. I think it's great if you can do it without but also great if it helps! Also, I find that setting myself up for success is key; Eat healthy, get good rest, and exercise. These are common sense rules of health that help with any health issue. Having these three things in place gives me the extra padding I need to stay mentally stable when HA comes around the corner.

When I have something that triggers HA - for me the most recent thing was a friend dying suddenly - I have to accept the fact that HA has returned. Feeling ashamed that I'm back to dealing with it does absolutely NOTHING good for me. In fact, it worsens the experience and keeps me from being proactive. Accepting that this is a struggle I deal with helps me. My spouse has diabetes type 1. He's had it since childhood. He has no shame. Why should I ? It helps me to think of HA as a disease. Fortunately, I've found some treatments that work well for me.

Here is an accumulation of notes from therapy mixed with my own thoughts that helps me so much whenever I have a flare up.

The most important thing I have learned is this: Reassurance DOES NOT WORK. That's the talking to friends and family about your symptoms, looking up symptoms online, looking in forums even like this one for reassurance. Visiting doctors over and over despite their lack of concern over your symptoms DOES NOT WORK. You will grow to doubt the doctor's final judgement calls. You will think a test result got mixed up with someone else's. Bottom line: there is no end to the reassurance that you seek. It will only drive you back into the cycle - ask for reassurance, feel better temporarily, feel a need for more reassurance, then asking again.

What does work is this: understanding anxiety, responding to it healthily and acceptance. Stay with me here...

Anxiety in it's healthy state serves a real and good purpose. Did I just blow your mind? :D Well, it's true. Let's say you are about to be hit by another car while driving and you notice it about to happen. Anxiety enables you to move swiftly, think fast, and react to avoid the collision. And there you have an example of anxiety doing it's intended job. The adrenaline is secreted, you are able to perform a life saving task with precision and accuracy. Good job anxiety! This is healthy anxiety.

Unfortunately for some of us, anxiety lingers long after it has served it's purpose. It lurks in the shadows, attaching itself to anything askew in the body. This is unhealthy anxiety. Hello HA! This is what I've dealt with for about 30 years! I'm only 41 but I first noticed it as a tween. It can attach itself to your identity - I'm only okay if I'm healthy. OR - I'm only okay if I'm worrying about being healthy. Regardless, it can stick to you like glue.

But here's the thing; we can't control what our next thought will be. Try it. You can't. Because you have this subconscious mind that literally has a mind of its own. The subconscious mind is like a fertile field. All day long your conscious mind (the one you are using to read this post right now) sows seeds into that field. The subconscious field has no sense of wrong or right; of good plants and weeds. It does not distinguish. It merely grows whatever you sow there. Dwell on your fears of disease all day long - your subconscious garden will yield the worst kind of weeds with thorns and poison ivy. Those icky plants produce icky thoughts. It's a vicious cycle. Make an effort to dwell on positive thoughts - your subconscious mind will yield plants with good fruit - positive thoughts return to you. It's a beautiful cycle. What have you planted in your garden?

The good news is that the soil is rich and accepting. It doesn't take long to overpopulate the weeds with the good plants. What you chose to focus on will soon start to come back to you. Focusing on positive thoughts will push out those bad ones. I do this by envisioning the bad thoughts as rain clouds. When I have a thought like this "This cough could mean lung cancer", I choose to see the thought as a rain cloud. I think about how that cloud will make me feel if I give it the energy it needs (which is me thinking about it). I describe how it will make me feel anxious, afraid, and despairing. I know that thinking about it will give it energy which can grow it large and start a massive storm. So after I think about how it would make me feel to dwell on it, I chose to let it go. I visualize it passing over me, staying small and floating off in the distance. USually if I'm in a bad thought pattern I will get storm could after storm cloud after storm cloud. I have to repeat the exercise many times until I notice suddenly a white healthy cloud. It could be anything - a thought about how nice the sunshine feels. When I see one of these thoughts I seize it and give it all my energy. I elaborate on the thought and focus on how the warmth feels on my skin. Soon, I start getting other white healthy clouds (thoughts) coming back to me. It's truly magical when it happens. But it's really all in what I'm choosing to dwell on. This strategy has gotten me out of panic attacks and many dark corners I've backed myself into.

Bottom line: When the bad HA thoughts arise I AM NOT HELPLESS. When I have a negative thought about my health I essentially have 2 choices:

1. Give into the fear and despair.
2. Respond with action.

I have a variety of actions i can choose to respond with. Sometimes I have to go through all of them. Sometimes just one or two of these helps me out of the anxiety. Here they are in no particular order:

1. When my mind says "what if....." I reply "Thanks for sharing!" and then I move on. I have to look at my fears with some lightheartedness. 98% of them are unfounded.

2. Respond with math. Play the odds! The likelihood of having ALS in my 40's for example is so incredibly low, it's like winning the lottery. This phrase is key: "It's POSSIBLE but not PROBABLE". (I've literally repeated this to myself hundreds of times).

3. When my mind says "check that thing again" or "what if" (AGAIN!) I reply, "I will watch this and check it tomorrow. I've already checked once." The initial anxiety is lingering. Let it go. Check it tomorrow. Sometimes I have to repeat this dozens of times to myself. Just like constantly seeking reassurance, checking on a symptom will only lead you back into the vicious cycle of needing to keep checking.

4. Thank the anxiety for doing it's job and tell it "Thanks, I'll take it from here". Use the anxiety the way it was designed for. I'm not supposed to think about it. Because I've already thought about it!

5. Laugh about it. List out what you've been fearful of having and then laugh at how many diseases you've been cured of - and with no treatment! Laughing at the fear shrinks it down and exposes it for what it really is; a mere shadow, large and blown up. There's no real substance to it.

6. (this one is the hardest for me, but helpful). Go to the end of the fear. What's the worst thing that will happen? You die. You are in pain. Whatever it is - there is an end to it. Anxiety is like a half truth - it's like having Pre-TSD (not PTSD). Anxiety only gives you an awareness of the terror. You don't go all the way in as to experience the terror. You're not actually living the life of having a terrible disease - because if you are - you find help in support, treatments, doctors who can give you hope or ease your pain. Anxiety doesn't show you this side of disease. It is only the anticipation of The Great Dreaded Thing. It's smoke and mirrors. It's not real. It's incredibly powerful in it's deceit of feeling real but it's the large shadow cast by the small object. Going to the end of it reminds us we aren't actually living that life and that if we were we would have some way to get through it. Anxiety is only about terror. It's not practical.

Maybe that last one was too hard to swallow. It can feel that way. But it can also be very helpful.

After I chose my responses, I then meditate on the following thoughts:

1. Remind myself I'm not supposed to know what's going to happen. The future is unknown! We aren't supposed to know! We aren't supposed to know if our bloodwork will turn out fine.

2. Take the risk of not knowing what's going to happen. It's HEALTHY and NORMAL not to know what is going to happen with my health. With HA I feel the opposite but I have to remind myself that not knowing is the norm.

3. TRY NOT TO BE GOD. Whatever it is you believe (I believe in God), you are not in charge of the future. And trying to be is futile. Thinking bad thoughts does NOT change your future. Making sure you know the sypmtoms for colon cancer per Dr. Google does NOT change your future.

4. I'm not failing if I don't know. I'm actually right where I'm supposed to be. That's right. Not knowing if that weird flutter in your heart is a heart problem or not is where you are supposed to be. You are not failing. You are human and normal.

ACCEPTANCE. This is what my acceptance looks like:

- Acceptance that I am not supposed to know. I tell myself to find peace in the not knowing, to rest in the freedom from needing to know if I'm sick or not. To find freedom from feeling like something is wrong if I don't know what's causing some physical symptom.

- Value this "not knowing". This is the normal, healthy way of living. We don't know what is down the road for us. We don't know what lies ahead. There is value in placing your life in the hands of another (if you believe in God, this is what you do). It's submission to the future.

- Accept the risk of not knowing and accept that I may be uncomfortable until the current symptom goes away. This is normal.

The final step I take is APPLICATION.

- all of this knowledge allows me to be free from being hyper-vigilant.
- this means being okay with not knowing - the mystery is not for me to know.
- this frees me up to get energy to take a step when I am actually in danger. I'm not supposed to exist in a a highly protective mode. I'm supposed to be in a relaxed mode so I can be more resilient for the future. I want to have more energy and brain space for life. I have kids and a job and friends and family. I want my energy to be spent growing my relationships, parenting well, and being productive. I can't do that in a hyper vigilant health anxiety state. It's just not possible. But finding freedom to let go of the need to know - if I have cancer (for example) - gives me the chance to be in a relaxed mode!

As I said in the beginning of the post, I am mainly posting this for myself. I have all these scattered notes and putting them together in once place will help me and hopefully someone else out there.

You are not alone in this suffering. And it is suffering. Thankfully there are tools available if you seek them out.

Meanwhile I'll be working on overcoming my anxiety :) Maybe one day I can write a post titled how I overCAME HA, but until then I will sow good thoughts, remind myself of the truth, and chose to be proactive.

peace out

BazB44
25-03-18, 21:00
you are right, hope. I have had anxiety for over 20 years, along with the symptoms. The past 1.5 years have been the worst, but what you say is true. I had a bad fear of MS back in 2013, then it disappeared and I felt great for 4 years until last year.

No googling. No reassurance seeking. Do eat better. Do exercise. No caffeine or inflammatory foods. Find a job you like. Be active and social. All these worked for me, but unfortunately I felt right back into the hole last year.

In all honesty I find that anxiety forums do more harm than good. Why? Reassurance, and its addicting. Just today I had a bad bout of anxiety so I came running on here for reassurance, and yeah I feel better....but now what? Anxiety sufferers need to spend less time in technology, and more time out and being active.

Instead of "thinking" too much about it, just "do" it. For many people, they are their own worst enemy. Sometiems ill just sit in my car dwelling, and it does me no good. I just need to get up and go.

Diet is probably the best bet though, and I struggle with that too. I am known for eating late at night, right before bed which isn't good. There's no doubt in my mind that ketosis is the evolutionary way of eating; our primal ancestors didn't have bars and carbs galore to eat. Fasting maybe? Eat less? Idk.

hope_girl
25-03-18, 21:09
I'm sorry it's back and you're struggling. Don't feel badly that you googled some symptoms if you did. It's a strong urge. Just remind yourself that it won't help you. It may make you feel better for a moment but it actually makes you feel worse in the long run. Have you tried counseling?

Carnation
25-03-18, 21:30
Good post hope girl. :)

richm66
27-03-18, 16:58
hello. I wanted to write this primarily for myself, but also to share with others and get feedback/support from people who understand what it's like to live with health anxiety. I like to look at this as a success story but it's not what you would typically think of when you hear "success story" because that implies that whatever it was you were struggling with is now gone forever, off beyond the sunset never to bother you again. Unfortunately this has not been my experience with ha. I'm not saying it's not curable. Maybe it is! I would love to be completely cured. But every time i've felt finally free from it, i'm surprised by a new comeback. If you're a long term ha sufferer, you know the desperation when it returns after being silent for months, even years.

I've spent countless time working towards a cure for this thing. I've seen many counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists. I've tried special diets, eliminating inflammatory foods, eating gut healthy foods, etc. I've tried vitamins, supplements, sleep medications, anti-anxiety meds, anti-depressants. I've tried various exercises, meditation, deep breathing. I've perused websites like this one, read books, talked with other ha sufferers in person. And yest, the struggle persists.

What i've realized (after being told by my therapist) is that where i am now may be as good as it gets for me. And where i am now is honestly pretty good. Yes, i have relapses into the ha. It can come on suddenly and if i'm not careful, can snowball into a long lasting problem. But i thought i would share some of the methods i've used to help myself over the years. So here goes.

First of all, i do take cymbalta which has been a good fit for me. Not everyone wants/needs drugs to deal with things. I think it's great if you can do it without but also great if it helps! Also, i find that setting myself up for success is key; eat healthy, get good rest, and exercise. These are common sense rules of health that help with any health issue. Having these three things in place gives me the extra padding i need to stay mentally stable when ha comes around the corner.

When i have something that triggers ha - for me the most recent thing was a friend dying suddenly - i have to accept the fact that ha has returned. Feeling ashamed that i'm back to dealing with it does absolutely nothing good for me. In fact, it worsens the experience and keeps me from being proactive. Accepting that this is a struggle i deal with helps me. My spouse has diabetes type 1. He's had it since childhood. He has no shame. Why should i ? It helps me to think of ha as a disease. Fortunately, i've found some treatments that work well for me.

Here is an accumulation of notes from therapy mixed with my own thoughts that helps me so much whenever i have a flare up.

The most important thing i have learned is this: Reassurance does not work. That's the talking to friends and family about your symptoms, looking up symptoms online, looking in forums even like this one for reassurance. Visiting doctors over and over despite their lack of concern over your symptoms does not work. You will grow to doubt the doctor's final judgement calls. You will think a test result got mixed up with someone else's. Bottom line: There is no end to the reassurance that you seek. It will only drive you back into the cycle - ask for reassurance, feel better temporarily, feel a need for more reassurance, then asking again.

What does work is this: Understanding anxiety, responding to it healthily and acceptance. Stay with me here...

Anxiety in it's healthy state serves a real and good purpose. Did i just blow your mind? :d well, it's true. Let's say you are about to be hit by another car while driving and you notice it about to happen. Anxiety enables you to move swiftly, think fast, and react to avoid the collision. And there you have an example of anxiety doing it's intended job. The adrenaline is secreted, you are able to perform a life saving task with precision and accuracy. Good job anxiety! This is healthy anxiety.

Unfortunately for some of us, anxiety lingers long after it has served it's purpose. It lurks in the shadows, attaching itself to anything askew in the body. This is unhealthy anxiety. Hello ha! This is what i've dealt with for about 30 years! I'm only 41 but i first noticed it as a tween. It can attach itself to your identity - i'm only okay if i'm healthy. Or - i'm only okay if i'm worrying about being healthy. Regardless, it can stick to you like glue.

But here's the thing; we can't control what our next thought will be. Try it. You can't. Because you have this subconscious mind that literally has a mind of its own. The subconscious mind is like a fertile field. All day long your conscious mind (the one you are using to read this post right now) sows seeds into that field. The subconscious field has no sense of wrong or right; of good plants and weeds. It does not distinguish. It merely grows whatever you sow there. Dwell on your fears of disease all day long - your subconscious garden will yield the worst kind of weeds with thorns and poison ivy. Those icky plants produce icky thoughts. It's a vicious cycle. Make an effort to dwell on positive thoughts - your subconscious mind will yield plants with good fruit - positive thoughts return to you. It's a beautiful cycle. What have you planted in your garden?

The good news is that the soil is rich and accepting. It doesn't take long to overpopulate the weeds with the good plants. What you chose to focus on will soon start to come back to you. Focusing on positive thoughts will push out those bad ones. I do this by envisioning the bad thoughts as rain clouds. When i have a thought like this "this cough could mean lung cancer", i choose to see the thought as a rain cloud. I think about how that cloud will make me feel if i give it the energy it needs (which is me thinking about it). I describe how it will make me feel anxious, afraid, and despairing. I know that thinking about it will give it energy which can grow it large and start a massive storm. So after i think about how it would make me feel to dwell on it, i chose to let it go. I visualize it passing over me, staying small and floating off in the distance. Usually if i'm in a bad thought pattern i will get storm could after storm cloud after storm cloud. I have to repeat the exercise many times until i notice suddenly a white healthy cloud. It could be anything - a thought about how nice the sunshine feels. When i see one of these thoughts i seize it and give it all my energy. I elaborate on the thought and focus on how the warmth feels on my skin. Soon, i start getting other white healthy clouds (thoughts) coming back to me. It's truly magical when it happens. But it's really all in what i'm choosing to dwell on. This strategy has gotten me out of panic attacks and many dark corners i've backed myself into.

Bottom line: When the bad ha thoughts arise i am not helpless. When i have a negative thought about my health i essentially have 2 choices:

1. Give into the fear and despair.
2. Respond with action.

I have a variety of actions i can choose to respond with. Sometimes i have to go through all of them. Sometimes just one or two of these helps me out of the anxiety. Here they are in no particular order:

1. When my mind says "what if....." i reply "thanks for sharing!" and then i move on. I have to look at my fears with some lightheartedness. 98% of them are unfounded.

2. Respond with math. Play the odds! The likelihood of having als in my 40's for example is so incredibly low, it's like winning the lottery. This phrase is key: "it's possible but not probable". (i've literally repeated this to myself hundreds of times).

3. When my mind says "check that thing again" or "what if" (again!) i reply, "i will watch this and check it tomorrow. I've already checked once." the initial anxiety is lingering. Let it go. Check it tomorrow. Sometimes i have to repeat this dozens of times to myself. Just like constantly seeking reassurance, checking on a symptom will only lead you back into the vicious cycle of needing to keep checking.

4. Thank the anxiety for doing it's job and tell it "thanks, i'll take it from here". Use the anxiety the way it was designed for. I'm not supposed to think about it. Because i've already thought about it!

5. Laugh about it. List out what you've been fearful of having and then laugh at how many diseases you've been cured of - and with no treatment! Laughing at the fear shrinks it down and exposes it for what it really is; a mere shadow, large and blown up. There's no real substance to it.

6. (this one is the hardest for me, but helpful). Go to the end of the fear. What's the worst thing that will happen? You die. You are in pain. Whatever it is - there is an end to it. Anxiety is like a half truth - it's like having pre-tsd (not ptsd). Anxiety only gives you an awareness of the terror. You don't go all the way in as to experience the terror. You're not actually living the life of having a terrible disease - because if you are - you find help in support, treatments, doctors who can give you hope or ease your pain. Anxiety doesn't show you this side of disease. It is only the anticipation of the great dreaded thing. It's smoke and mirrors. It's not real. It's incredibly powerful in it's deceit of feeling real but it's the large shadow cast by the small object. Going to the end of it reminds us we aren't actually living that life and that if we were we would have some way to get through it. Anxiety is only about terror. It's not practical.

Maybe that last one was too hard to swallow. It can feel that way. But it can also be very helpful.

After i chose my responses, i then meditate on the following thoughts:

1. Remind myself i'm not supposed to know what's going to happen. The future is unknown! We aren't supposed to know! We aren't supposed to know if our bloodwork will turn out fine.

2. Take the risk of not knowing what's going to happen. It's healthy and normal not to know what is going to happen with my health. With ha i feel the opposite but i have to remind myself that not knowing is the norm.

3. Try not to be god. Whatever it is you believe (i believe in god), you are not in charge of the future. And trying to be is futile. Thinking bad thoughts does not change your future. Making sure you know the sypmtoms for colon cancer per dr. Google does not change your future.

4. I'm not failing if i don't know. I'm actually right where i'm supposed to be. That's right. Not knowing if that weird flutter in your heart is a heart problem or not is where you are supposed to be. You are not failing. You are human and normal.

Acceptance. This is what my acceptance looks like:

- acceptance that i am not supposed to know. I tell myself to find peace in the not knowing, to rest in the freedom from needing to know if i'm sick or not. To find freedom from feeling like something is wrong if i don't know what's causing some physical symptom.

- value this "not knowing". This is the normal, healthy way of living. We don't know what is down the road for us. We don't know what lies ahead. There is value in placing your life in the hands of another (if you believe in god, this is what you do). It's submission to the future.

- accept the risk of not knowing and accept that i may be uncomfortable until the current symptom goes away. This is normal.

The final step i take is application.

- all of this knowledge allows me to be free from being hyper-vigilant.
- this means being okay with not knowing - the mystery is not for me to know.
- this frees me up to get energy to take a step when i am actually in danger. I'm not supposed to exist in a a highly protective mode. I'm supposed to be in a relaxed mode so i can be more resilient for the future. I want to have more energy and brain space for life. I have kids and a job and friends and family. I want my energy to be spent growing my relationships, parenting well, and being productive. I can't do that in a hyper vigilant health anxiety state. It's just not possible. But finding freedom to let go of the need to know - if i have cancer (for example) - gives me the chance to be in a relaxed mode!

as i said in the beginning of the post, i am mainly posting this for myself. I have all these scattered notes and putting them together in once place will help me and hopefully someone else out there.

You are not alone in this suffering. And it is suffering. Thankfully there are tools available if you seek them out.

Meanwhile i'll be working on overcoming my anxiety :) maybe one day i can write a post titled how i overcame ha, but until then i will sow good thoughts, remind myself of the truth, and chose to be proactive.

Peace out

i love this post. Thank you !

agingwuss
27-03-18, 18:12
A couple of symptoms have put me back drowning under HA after several years nearly free. This post has helped me enormously. I'm going to print it out & keep it in my purse. I can't thank you enough! :flowers:

hope_girl
28-03-18, 20:15
So glad this can help others! I need to print out for myself!!!

br350
31-03-18, 21:30
Hope girl - thank you so very much for such a comprehensive review of how you’ve handled HA. I’ve had HA for over 30 years. I’m 51 and have made headway using some of the very methods you mention.

Your way of explaining and phrasing all of your thoughts resonated so completely for me! The one method you said was the hardest? Yes, it is, but it’s actually the key to acceptance - in our heads we must play out the fear completely and see resolution.

This was one of the hardest things for me to do in CBT - create worst-case scenario scripts and play them out in my head. To this day, they are still a challenge. But you NAILED it that anticipatory health anxiety is like this big boogeyman filled with stories of ‘what if’, that really tells us nothing except to be afraid, be very afraid!!

I can’t say enough how much I appreciate you taking the time to write this and share it with us! :flowers:

AnxietyGirl30
02-04-18, 12:39
Omg wow!! This post is amazing! Thank you so so much seeing anxiety in this way has never crossed my mind before and it has really helped me! I’m going to save what you have written and look back on it every time I start to feel worried and anxious. Thank you ��

hope_girl
06-04-18, 14:17
The one method you said was the hardest? Yes, it is, but it’s actually the key to acceptance - in our heads we must play out the fear completely and see resolution.

This was one of the hardest things for me to do in CBT - create worst-case scenario scripts and play them out in my head. To this day, they are still a challenge.

This is good to hear. I find myself avoiding this technique because it's difficult to do. But it unmasks the big shadowy boogey man of fear.

Lately I've cycled back in to HA. I was talking to a friend about it and she suggested that I look at using my strategies to get out of it like daily exercise. And sometimes I get really out of shape and need to exercise slowly and deliberately.

If I make myself read through my strategies and implement them slowly and deliberately, it helps get my brain out of the negative health thinking, which helps me eventually cycle back out.

The "go to the end" strategy where you list out what would happen - "I would die..." (always the end of it), but there can be more "My children would be without their parent" (for example) is hard to do. But I found myself doing it yesterday actually and found it extremely comforting (paradoxically).

My latest fear is that if I can catch X early enough, it won't turn into stage IV X, so I could save myself!! But in going to the end of it, I wouldn't be able to convince my Dr. to do all the testing I would need. They would take their time in treating me and by the time they finally found X, I would already be in stage IV! I think this type of HA is common because what we are really seeking to do is control the future. Anyway, I had this thought: "I wouldn't be able to convince them anyway, then I would have done all I could have done and I would still end up with stage IV X and then I would die. And it would be out of my hands!" And that last thought gave me extreme comfort because it reaffirmed that I am not in control of the future. I can't change fate (I believe in God) and while I don't believe God causes you to get X, I do believe that my life is in the hands of someone who is loving and will help me through any situation. Anyway, it really helped to go there in my thoughts. By the way, all of this happens in approximately 20 seconds if you are like me and your brain moves a million miles a minute!:roflmao:

Side note: I think it's helpful to use X to talk about your latest ailment. Because it's NOT about that particular ailment. It's about X. And what is X? It's the FEAR of sickness. Why give it power by naming it? I think talking about specific symptoms is going backwards. Seeking REAL help is looking for help from the freedom from X. Or, freedom from the anxiety.

Peace out

br350
06-04-18, 14:36
hopegirl, exactly! I had this exact conversation with my husband the other day. With HA we are always trying to control the outcome, control the future, prevent catastrophe. But we can't! It's an illusion to think we can!

Yes, theoretically, if we could get doctors to agree to test us whenever we want, for whatever X we fear, as often as we want (great point about using 'X', by the way), not only would be putting ourselves in harms way with unnecessary and excessive medical testing, but we might discover things that would never become a problem, but now need to be 'treated' because they've been found. The phrase let sleeping dogs lie comes to mind. ;) And yes, my mind also shoots through all of this in seconds as well. :roflmao:

And yes, these CBT exercises with end-case scenarios can be gut wrenching.:weep: I am glad you actually found comfort in them. If you wouldn't mind, could you explain a little more about how you actually felt some comfort after going through the exercise?

I think a long while back, while I was playing out one of these scripts, I did too. I think I felt some form of acceptance or 'peace' if that is even possible, when considering these types of scenarios. Not always, but sometimes. I'm a mom, and the 'leaving my child behind' part is truly agonizing. But I will try to do some of my various long-neglected CBT exercises in order to get a better handle on things.

I, too, have cycled back into some bad HA because of a few medical appts, and am trying to keep a handle on my rational thought process.

I appreciate how you mentioned about your faith (I, too believe in God) and how we have to believe that family and our faith will help us through whatever may occur at some future date. That, yes, we cannot prevent everything, and that we have to accept that risk and uncertainty is a definitive part of life. With HA, we want to removal ALL uncertainty, and that simply is not only unrealistic, but also impossible.

I can't thank you enough for your perspective. It just resonates for me so much! :flowers:

hope_girl
06-04-18, 17:36
I'm sorry your medical appointments have triggered anxiety :weep:

Okay so there are several ways I have found comfort in the "go to the end" tactic.

So let's say the worst case scenario is true and I actually do have X just lying wait in my body waiting to be diagnosed. I have mild symptom #1.

Option 1: I call my Dr. and go in. Dr. will prescribe a Rx and tell me to come back in X weeks if it's not better. Weeks later, I return. I insist on imaging, Dr. doesn't see it necessary (and already thinks I'm a hypochondriac). Dr. prescribes a different Rx and tells me to come back in another couple of weeks if not better. Then finally a test is performed. It shows nothing (because it's hard to find X in it's early stages!). Anyway, this whole process continues for a long time. Eventually, mild symptom #2 appears, warranting further testing, etc, etc. Finally after a long time the X is diagnosed and guess what? By this time it's Stage IV.

Option 2: I chose to ignore mild symptom #1 and even ignore mild symptom #2. Eventually more severe symptoms will appear and I will finally go in and the Dr. will be concerned, do the testing, and stage IV X is diagnosed. Well, it's on the same time frame as option 1. So weather I am overly proactive or not, it doesn't change the time frame of the diagnosis.

Does that make sense? You could argue it and say "just go to the ER" but our teaching hospital where I live is cutting edge and they don't send you for every test under the sun and often one of the first questions they ask is "Do you have anxiey?" Trust me. I've tried!

Another way that I've gone to the end is this: My therapist asked me what my worst fear is. It is burning alive. It sounds absolutely horrifying. He asked why. "Because your body is melting and in the worst possible pain". He then looks at me and says "And then what happens? - You pass out." Somehow he knew this. He says, "So yeah, it's excruciating but only for a few moments. Then you pass out and don't feel anything." Maybe he's wrong (I can't bring myself to google that one) but I thought "well, there's an end to it. You get to be out of pain." And then you die and it's all over. No more suffering. It comforted me to have that thought, if that makes sense.

Finally, we got into the scenario of me dying an early death and leaving my children. (Very big fear of mine) We came to the conclusion that my husband and extended family would care for them. My friends would step up. They would have therapists to help them heal. they would heal. They would end up okay. There would somehow be goodness to come from the brokenness. Just as I have experienced goodness coming from brokenness in my own life. It comforted me to know that. Factor in the whole faith aspect if you have it, and you have an all knowing, all loving God who cares for my children as his. So, there's that extra comfort. That if I have some awful disease, he will help me through it, etc.

It can be very scary as control freaks to say (or type!) all of that - because we have an irrational belief that if we seek more testing hard enough, or check ourselves over constantly, or even just worry about a disease "so that it won't happen. So there's this childish thing that lurks in some of our minds that says if you say it, it could actually happen. And that right there is trying to control again.

There is freedom in accepting our unknown fate, in taking the risk of not knowing. In letting Doctors do their jobs and believing what they say.

Fishmanpa
06-04-18, 18:21
Just wanted to add that this is a great post! I hope others take the time to read it!

Positive thoughts