PDA

View Full Version : Lymph node and now weight loss Ugh!

Leslie735
26-03-18, 13:56
I posted about my lymph node back in January and after having it checked I've been pretty ok with it up until this weekend. Anyway, back in January I was driving home and was playing with my hair in the car, randomly. My hand brushed against the side of my neck and BAM lymph node! I've never been a lymph node checker and its never really been my fear before. Its at the base of my neck on the left side in that triangle area. Feels like a oval pea and moves around quite easily. I went to my GP who ran a CBC, came back fine and sent me off to an ENT. I saw him about a week later, had an ultrasound. Ultrasound measured it at 9.7 mm x 4.1 mm. ENT wasn't concerned, deemed it reactive and told me to have it re checked by ultrasound in May and to see him 2 weeks afterward. So I'm feeling a lot better about it all this time. ANYWAY, cut to Friday, I get up in the morning and weighed myself like I do every so many days and I'm randomly down like 5 lbs. Normally this would excite me because I'm a little over weight but instead my mind flew to lymphoma because of the lymph node and I had read in a few places weightloss can be a symptom. So here I am in a downward panic after doing well. I'm so upset! :( :shrug::ohmy::weep:

Fishmanpa
26-03-18, 16:00
Normally this would excite me because I'm a little over weight

The key word is "Normally". Anxiety makes it something that's not normal to you. Your anxiety is the most likely culprit. I hope you can find the means to find a 5lb weight loss a good thing :)

Positive thoughts

Leslie735
26-03-18, 16:03
The key word is "Normally". Anxiety makes it something that's not normal to you. Your anxiety is the most likely culprit. I hope you can find the means to find a 5lb weight loss a good thing :)

Positive thoughts

Me too! It was just really unexpected. I've been on weight watchers and TRYING to lose weight for months and its taken me months to get off 10 lbs. Then BAM I drop 5 lbs. over the course of 2 days without even making the effort. I fell off the wagon the last couple of weeks. Its freaking me right out. :scared15:

eminence
26-03-18, 16:54
Weight fluctuates day to day depending on when and how much you eat, drink, go to the toilet and exercise.

I have the same fears over my lymph nodes every now and then. I found lymph nodes in the posterior cervical triangle early-ish last year, they're small, squishy, movable and harmless like yours. The more I google the more I discover innocent nodes around the cervical, axillary and inguinal areas. I experienced "night sweats" which I stressed over before realising that my bedroom was just too hot. I also got blood test results that I thought were dodgy before discovering that dehydration caused inaccurate results. I know googling symptoms isn't healthy for me and it probably isn't for you either.

In my case, it's been a year and I've only found squishy symmetrical nodes in places where it's normal to find them. If anything were wrong by now, I'd probably know. Listen to your doctor, relax and wait it out.

Leslie735
26-03-18, 17:10
Weight fluctuates day to day depending on when and how much you eat, drink, go to the toilet and exercise.

I have the same fears over my lymph nodes every now and then. I found lymph nodes in the posterior cervical triangle early-ish last year, they're small, squishy, movable and harmless like yours. The more I google the more I discover innocent nodes around the cervical, axillary and inguinal areas. I experienced "night sweats" which I stressed over before realising that my bedroom was just too hot. I also got blood test results that I thought were dodgy before discovering that dehydration caused inaccurate results. I know googling symptoms isn't healthy for me and it probably isn't for you either.

In my case, it's been a year and I've only found squishy symmetrical nodes in places where it's normal to find them. If anything were wrong by now, I'd probably know. Listen to your doctor, relax and wait it out.

I don't have symmetrical nodes that I can feel, only the one. :/

Leslie735
30-03-18, 20:24
Anyone else shed some light? I got up today and I'm down another pound. Its starting to freak me out! I'm linking the weightloss to the lymph node. I normally struggle to lose weight and had been trying but wasn't having much luck now I'm suddenly down 6 lbs. in a week and believe me I haven't been trying. :(

Matilda_H
30-03-18, 21:15
Have you had particularly bad anxiety? Anxiety can effect your appetite and eating habits, perhaps you've been eating less without noticing?

Also, anxiety puts a lot of strain on your body and I find I lose weight when I have anxiety.

You may also have drank less water and be holding less water weight. There are plenty of reasons for random weight loss.

Leslie735
30-03-18, 21:31
Have you had particularly bad anxiety? Anxiety can effect your appetite and eating habits, perhaps you've been eating less without noticing?

Also, anxiety puts a lot of strain on your body and I find I lose weight when I have anxiety.

You may also have drank less water and be holding less water weight. There are plenty of reasons for random weight loss.

I've definitely lost weight with severe anxiety like waiting for a Dr appointment. I always have anxiety so that's nothing new but I won't say it's been severe just my normal HA.

I usually struggle to lose a few so this is throwing me into panic. :(

Fishmanpa
30-03-18, 21:57
Deep down you know you're fine and it's your anxiety. Your body is on high alert and anxiety burns calories. You've been around long enough to know that reassurance isn't going to quell your fears. You just have to come to grips with knowing this is your anxiety speaking. Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts

itiswhatitis
30-03-18, 22:31
I posted about my lymph node back in January and after having it checked I've been pretty ok with it up until this weekend. Anyway, back in January I was driving home and was playing with my hair in the car, randomly. My hand brushed against the side of my neck and BAM lymph node! I've never been a lymph node checker and its never really been my fear before. Its at the base of my neck on the left side in that triangle area. Feels like a oval pea and moves around quite easily. I went to my GP who ran a CBC, came back fine and sent me off to an ENT. I saw him about a week later, had an ultrasound. Ultrasound measured it at 9.7 mm x 4.1 mm. ENT wasn't concerned, deemed it reactive and told me to have it re checked by ultrasound in May and to see him 2 weeks afterward. So I'm feeling a lot better about it all this time. ANYWAY, cut to Friday, I get up in the morning and weighed myself like I do every so many days and I'm randomly down like 5 lbs. Normally this would excite me because I'm a little over weight but instead my mind flew to lymphoma because of the lymph node and I had read in a few places weightloss can be a symptom. So here I am in a downward panic after doing well. I'm so upset! :( :shrug::ohmy::weep:

I’m in the exact same situation right now. I lost about 5lbs pretty quickly and saw something about lymphoma so automatically think I have it. I get night sweats too (probably from leaving my heating on?) but obviously my mind has run away with itself and I’ve been convinced I have it.
I can offer you a bit of help though and that’s that anxiety can cause weight loss. I know I’ve been slightly more anxious than normal over the last couple of months so it makes sense. I’ve been eating a little less. Also you’ve been dieting so you can expect to lose :) Something that’s helped me a bit is I read something that said that not eating due to anxiety or dieting isn’t an unexpected weight loss. Our diets/bodies have changed because of anxiety/diets we’re on and that isn’t the weight loss that’s associated with cancer.

EmmyDay
31-03-18, 12:17
You seem really stressed at the moment, and like many people have said, anxiety can and does cause weight loss. It could also be subtle eating habits or the time of day you're weighing yourself that could be the culprit of this weight loss.
With that in mind, I would suggest contacting your doctor again just to be on the safe side. It's unlikely to be anything to worry about but you should go back to your doctor if you're experiencing any new symptoms, and nobody here can tell you definitively that it is just your anxiety. Not trying to scare you though! After having the ultrasound and examination it is very unlikely to be anything worrying!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk