PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety cause mystery symptoms?

sacolucci
28-03-18, 19:33
10 months ago I had BPPV which is a type of positional vertigo related to an inner problem. It's easily treatable. It was treated in June. Ever since then, I keep getting headaches which feel as though they are in my left ear. I also get these intense anxious moments, where my anxiety is through the roof and I feel if I turn my head or move it around, I get really dizzy.

It comes with a very panicked feeling.

I have had an MRI, CT scan, blood work and full vestibular testing and nothing crazy are coming up.

Could anxiety attacks mimic what I am describing? To the point where I feel positionally dizzy for 10-20 minutes?

I want to get an EEG to rule out seizures but I was told seizures are not positional.

NourK
29-03-18, 18:18
Hey there

The mind is very powerful and with anxiety it can trigger physical sensations that are harmless.

The more you concentrate on something and think about it, you start to believe it is real and you feel sensations. I have had this a lot especially around my fear of choking. I would feel like my throat muscles are physically moving or closing up because i am thinking about it so much and I did tests and they all came back normal so I know it is all psychological

I do think it is a good idea to get tests done especially if you have experienced something physical like the vertigo but after a while of getting tests done and keep being told it is all clear then you need to accept that it is in the mind and work through that

Have you tried CBT? it is a very helpful type of behavioural therapy and they give you thinking tools in order to think in a more positive way and challenge your thinking

Hope you feel better soon :-)