PDA

View Full Version : Ectopics - The Real Deal

Jinkus
13-07-07, 14:22
Hi All,

Having a real bad day today,, had loads of ectopics today and feel genuinley annoyed by them. Im so sick and tired of these horrible things,, im now miffed as which way to turn. I have had all the tests over and over again and i have had the same responce that everything is fine and there just ectopics. I was told last month that there was a splitting sound across my valves but this is common. I truly dont know what to belive or do, there has to be a reason for me suddenly starting with this problem, i have had these for about 2 years now and they havnt got better if not worse.

I have been prescribed Antenol betablocker,,, after reading the side effects i was put off taking them and have had the bottle since to start with them.

Any help or advice with these would be much appriciated and would help ease a troubled mind.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Sean

Alabasterlyn
13-07-07, 15:22
Hi Sean, I think you will find that an awful lot of people with anxiety have ectopic heartbeats too. They really are just a symptom of anxiety and I would imagine the only reason they have not got better for you is that you are still worrying about them. I first got them out of the blue when I was in my early 20's. I am now 52 and still get them, although I can go for months without any and then wham they come back again. I once had them every day and night for about 2wks a few years ago. I wasn't so much worried about them as just annoyed.

I have no idea what the splitting sound you mention is, but I am sure if the Dr thought there was problem they would have sent you for further tests. I know once a Dr told me I had a 'slow flow' valve and I really have no idea what that means either. However when I have been examined by other Dr's and mentioned this they have never seemed concerned about it.

I always remember the advice Claire Weekes gives when I get my ectopics, and that is to truly accept the symptoms and just getting on with what you are doing despite them.

angiebaby
13-07-07, 18:02
I have suffered with these little blighters for 12 years now!!! They drive me mad and i still get scared by them. I have also had tests and was told that they were normal and not to let them bother me, ye right, as if. I am down to about two a day if i am lucky and if i am not lucky then i can have thousands! But i definatly know for sure that wind in your system makes these worse and since i have been on a PPI, Omeprazole/Losec, mine have been much better. Cutting out fatty foods and also fizzy stuff also helps to make a difference. People say to cut down on caffeine and alcohol, i drink tea, no coffee and no coke either. This did not make a difference with me though, but i noticed a difference when i followed a low fat, hiatus hernia, ulcer diet plan. You can get ideas off the net for these, but i warn you, shopping for food when following an ulcer/hiatus hernia diet is a nightmare. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is, you look at all the labels and find out you can't have most of it and there are things in food that you don't know about until you read the label. I did the 'diet' for a while and got fed up, but i am on the PPI which has made mine much better anyway. They say to stay of chewing gum and mints and i believe this to be a good idea unless you have the ectopics or feel like you have got indigetion/wind/heartburn, then i do believe that these do help you to burp it up. Keep your mouth closed when you chew the gum though so you avoid swollowing more air with it. I hope this helps a little bit for you and i do sympathise very much with this as it drives me bonkers and i don't need anything else to make me more mad than i already am, lol. Feel free to pm me if you wish, i will try to help if i can.xx

nomorepanic
13-07-07, 19:14
Sean

Apparently coughing helps to ease them!

jodie
13-07-07, 19:36
hi

i have these to i hate them sooo much.
i have just been to see the heart doc and he has agane told me i am fine he sead even if i hade a normal beat then an ectopic ever day all day he still would say it was fine .
he sead we have a normal pace maker and a backup one to and an ectopic is just our backup kicking in when it didnt need to but it has no affect on our health .
i know it is hard buut please try not to panic or get upset over them you WILL be fine .

jodie

lin
13-07-07, 21:54
Hi Sean

I know what you are going through i've had these annnoying things for 6yrs now, they calmed down quite alot most days i wouldn't have any at all but other days maybe the odd 1 or 2. But in the last couple of days i've had them all day and it's made me so angry it was great not having them.

I'm a little worried about things so i think that's why they have surfaced again i'm checking my pulse again a little, which i know i shouldn't be doing and i haven't done that for such along time. Try not to worry to much they will calm down.

take care
linda xx

belle
13-07-07, 22:44
Please excuse my ignorance, but what are ectopics?
Are they similiar to palpitations?

beadbabe
14-07-07, 18:06
hi blueebell
ectopics are a form of palpitations.
There are different forms palpitations can take but ectopics are an extra beat squeezed in before its due by another part of the heart other than the ordinary pacemaker bit of the heart. This makes you have a bit of a thud or harder than normal sensation and can also make it feel a bit fluttery. You may notice one, or several, or if you're really lucky like me, you can get them many times in a minute day and night. some people have them but don't notice them at all however. I don't know myself how that is possible though as mine are unmissable.
No kind of palpitations are exactly fun though, so I hope you don't have any of them!
bead

belle
14-07-07, 18:53
Hi..
Thanks for that Beadbabe.
I occassionally get these feelings in my heart like a thump and it'll make me cough - would that be a palpitation or ectopic?

x

Jinkus
14-07-07, 19:26
Hi Guys N Gals,,

Thanks for the replies and advice,, i have had a better day today although i have still have probably 30 noticed Skipped/gained beats.

I just cant get it out of my head that i went through 21 years of my life without any ectopics,,, and then suddnely 2 years ago after three weeks of chest pain these ectopics started and there still with me 2 years later..... im convinced something has changed or is wrong with my heart,,despite what people/drs say.

I suppose that only time will tell.

Thanks again all

Sean
x

pgw84
15-07-07, 15:36
Hi Jinkus! I took atenolol for a few months a while back, all it did was slowed my heart right down to the 50's at rest, when it's normal around 80-85. It was given to me to help my racing heart, which it did, it helps control panic symptoms in stressful situations, you still feel nervous, but the symptoms are much easier to cope with. As for the side effects, they really don't advise this medication for asthmatics, I have asthma and risked it and it didn't affect me, which was good. I'm also only a year younger than you. I'd recommend it to try for a short time, I can't see much harm in that. Hope this helps. :)