PDA

View Full Version : Is this anaphylaxis??

LavenderRain
29-03-18, 05:46
I tried making a new casserole for dinner tonight and it had thyme in it. I noticed right away while eating it that my tongue and throat were starting to feel kind of tingly and itchy but I finished my food anyway. I immediately started to worry that my throat would close up due to an allergic reaction to the thyme and I would die before I could get to a hospital. I have no idea if I am allergic to thyme and I'm sure I have had it before, but this felt really weird and scary. It started to go away, but then I did some pilates/yoga and while I was lying down on my mat, I became very lightheaded and my face felt numb and swollen and tingly. I decided to stop with my workout because I was feeling so awful and I stood up and immediately felt like I was going to pass out. I could barely hear, like everything was muffled and my ears were plugged up. It lasted a few minutes. I decided to lie back down in bed. I've pretty much been in bed all day because I have very heavy periods and horrible cramps, but I don't think this is related to that. I have had an allergic reaction that made my throat close up before once when I was on antibiotics but it happened slowly over the course of a few days so I don't know what real anaphylaxis feels like and I'm terrified. And what is with the weird swollen/numb face feeling when all I'm doing is lying down?? Please help.

Scass
29-03-18, 06:52
It sounds a bit more like you focused a lot on a sensation and then had a panic attack. How are you now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LavenderRain
29-03-18, 07:56
I am feeling a bit better now. I tried really hard to calm myself down enough to not go to the hospital. My throat is a little sore but maybe from coughing so much because it was itchy.

Scass
29-03-18, 14:41
Yes I’m sure it was your anxiety. Have you spoken to anyone about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NourK
29-03-18, 17:52
Hi,

I dont think you have anaphylaxis as something would have happened in a day or two and it would have been extreme just like when you had your allergic reaction to the antibiotics.

I had something similar last week when I had Panadol, used a 4head stick and a cooling strip on the forehead all at the same time. I also used a nasal spray that my doctor prescribed me because my nostrils are inflamed.

I am not sure what it was but my tongue went numb and red and although it has calmed down since, I have had a weird sensation in my eyes, ears and throat like a tingly sensation and it wont go away.

I think when you concentrate so much on something, you start to feel physical sensations and it is part of anxiety. It is however a good idea to see your doctor to put your mind at ease and also make sure everything is ok :-)