PDA

View Full Version : Mouthwash burned me PLS HELP

nprao94
29-03-18, 11:06
Hi guys
So I had crown lengthening Wednesday and I was in pain after. Dr prescribed Peridex to start using Friday night so I did stupidly without reading the damn side affects and what other ppl experienced using it...
some people have encountered their sense of taste was lost and then some said that they had a metallic taste in their mouth... their mouths would burn. After using Peridex
Well I used Peridex from Friday night to Sunday night, Sunday night I realized my throat was itchy (pollen?) and I kept coughing. I woke up in the morning and freaked out when I read those articles , my mouth and tongue felt a little burning sensation. To me my taste wasn’t affected as much, it just felt like my tongue was burning ! It was rly uncomfortable. I called my dentist and perio and they said stop using it. Has anyone ever had any problems like this with any mouthwash including Peridex? I know crest toothpaste is something I switched to and I’m not sure if that was the best combo to use but I stopped using crest on Sunday too. ANYONE with personal experience who used mouthwash or Peridex and had it burn you?
Did you recover and how long did it take you?
I don’t wanna live with this forever... I mean I’d really do anything to stop the burning..
I’ve read people saying it took two weeks for the burning to stop... Jesus Christ why do they even make these things ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
29-03-18, 12:14
Jesus Christ why do they even make these things ??

Because they successfully help millions prevent dental issues :shrug: What you experienced is a very common mild side effect of a medicated mouthwash. Heck, anyone who's ever used an alcohol based mouthwash like Listerine knows it burns like hell.

Positive thoughts

nprao94
29-03-18, 12:29
Because they successfully help millions prevent dental issues :shrug: What you experienced is a very common mild side effect of a medicated mouthwash. Heck, anyone who's ever used an alcohol based mouthwash like Listerine knows it burns like hell.

Positive thoughts

Yeah.. I’m slowly gaining some taste back... idk what exactly happened. I can still taste salt sweet sour and everything. But some foods just seemed off... especially last week. This week it’s slowly getting better. I really hope by next month everything is back to normal... it really freaked me out
My mom said I should be feeling okay and it’s a side affect and it should go away...
my tongue felt really burnt last week...
I really felt like I was going insane

Fishmanpa
29-03-18, 12:51
My mom said...

I take it you're quite young? Have you spoken to your mom about help for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

nprao94
29-03-18, 13:00
I’m 23 years old
I know I need help with my anxiety but see the problem here is I don’t know if I should be worried. If this taste thing is really a problem or not. Like I said this situation is confusing me a lot lol.
I’m getting acupuncture for anxiety but sometimes I do feel like I need a low dose anxiety pill. My mom has issues with anxiety also.
I feel like I’m overthinking this situation.

nprao94
29-03-18, 13:15
Has anyone ever experience loss of taste ?
Curious to know what it’s like... lol because I’m scared of that Happening to me

Fishmanpa
29-03-18, 13:16
My daughter is 24. She suffers from depression and anxiety. Her mom suffers from depression which manifested into hoarding. My daughter came to me when she was 18 and told me what was going on with her. I, along with her mother, made sure she got help. She's had some rough spells but with therapy and medication got herself on the right path. She recently graduated college and is working her dream job teaching pre-schoolers. She still has her moments but now has the tools and mindset to manage them.

Acupuncture is awesome! I went for a while to help manage the side effects of my cancer treatment and it helped immensely but I encourage you to seek real life psychotherapy or CBT to help, because as this thread shows, your reaction to something very common is out of line and causing you undue stress and anxiety.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

nprao94
29-03-18, 13:19
Yeah but I’m just scared it wont return to normal like how I used to be able to taste
That’s my number one fear...
I understand what you’re saying but I came here to get help from other people who’ve been through the same thing or a similar experience.
I know I need some help but mental stigma is weird in asian culture also...
also on my dads side there are mental issues , I’m scared of getting those too but they don’t use medications and they have schizophrenia and dementia.
Wow I’m just scaring myself talking about that ...

Fishmanpa
29-03-18, 13:23
Yeah but...

"Yeah but" syndrome is a very common symptom of anxiety :winks:

Positive thoughts

nprao94
29-03-18, 13:24
Lol really..
so you think everything will be ok? Eventually ? With this situation. Not talking about my anxiety because I know I need help with that. Lol.

Fishmanpa
29-03-18, 13:28
I’m slowly gaining some taste back...

What does that tell you?

Positive thoughts

nprao94
29-03-18, 13:30
Sigh ok...
[emoji15] well thanks for knocking some sense into me I feel kinda silly lol..

nomorepanic
29-03-18, 14:59
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Confetti
01-04-18, 08:42
I have this sometimes, it gets so bad that I can't even feel like I possess gums anymore, I just keep off the alcohol ones and use a softer one for a day or two and the feeling returns.