PDA

View Full Version : A query on bowel screening - can anyone help please?

JaneS
30-03-18, 11:14
Hi there, does anyone know anything about the bowel screening scope that is now being offered to 55 year olds in England? They were talking about bowel cancer screening on Radio 4 and after some research I discovered that this is a new test now being rolled out across the country and if you are aged 55 you will be invited to go for a flexible sigmoidoscopy. Wish I’d never listened to the programme now! This has sent my HA into overdrive - was quite accepting of the anticipated poo test when I get to 60 but I was 55 last month and am now waiting with dread for the invite letter to drop through my letterbox, although it may not even be available in my area yet! I am so anxious about having the procedure, although it is optional, and would be equally anxious if I didn’t. Has anyone been sent an invite to attend? Did you go? Was it awful? If I reach 56 and haven’t been invited, do I just go into the system to get the poo test at 60? Really freaking out here, I don’t want to spend this whole year anxsting about this and am too scared to ask my doctor, poor chap I see him sooooo often! Sorry for the long post.

unsure_about_this
30-03-18, 17:47
If you are worried asked your gp. My Dad was in his 60s when he got sent his kit never been for a sigmoidoscopy, neither has my mum she 60 this year.

Fishmanpa
30-03-18, 18:03
Here in the States we're not "invited" but they recommend a colon/bowel screening at age 50. But here, it's typically a colonoscopy which looks at the entire bowel. Either way it's no big deal. I was knocked out, awoke and it was over. The worst part is the prep. Have a good book or make sure your laptop battery is charged ;)

Positive thoughts

BikerMatt
30-03-18, 18:14
I'm not of that age but i'm sure the bowel screening is just the poo sample?

Fishmanpa
30-03-18, 18:17
I'm not of that age but i'm sure the bowel screening is just the poo sample?

Typically a colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy. I didn't have to do a poo sample.

Anyway... still not a big deal :shrug:

Positive thoughts

unsure_about_this
30-03-18, 18:22
I had a sigmoidoscopy because of abdominal pain, and because I did not accept the ibs what my doctor came up with, the prep was awful and I tap out a few times during the scan as I just had the air no sedate

BikerMatt
30-03-18, 18:26
Typically a colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy. I didn't have to do a poo sample.

Anyway... still not a big deal :shrug:

Positive thoughts

In the UK the general screening is just a kit you get through the post, wipe some samples on and send it back. I think:unsure:

unsure_about_this
30-03-18, 18:30
In the UK the general screening is just a kit you get through the post, wipe some samples on and send it back. I think:unsure:

Yes my Dad had to do this , still does not sure whether he had he kit this year

Fishmanpa
30-03-18, 18:39

The OP is talking about a new test being rolled out. I believe the flexible sigmoidoscopy is a bit less invasive. But like I said, it was no biggie. I'm good for another few years I think.

Positive thoughts and pooper cameras :D

pulisa
30-03-18, 21:16
Jane, I think the test you're referring to is for people over 55 who live in Gloucestershire. It's probably being trialled there and will be offered nationally if it's successful. For the rest of us it's the bowel testing kit at 60.

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-18, 01:55

When I sent mine back I all I got was an angry response. To be fair, I did send my sample with "Customer Feedback Service Award" on the box to the head of the complaints dept at...:winks:

---------- Post added at 01:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 ----------

Hi there, does anyone know anything about the bowel screening scope that is now being offered to 55 year olds in England? They were talking about bowel cancer screening on Radio 4 and after some research I discovered that this is a new test now being rolled out across the country and if you are aged 55 you will be invited to go for a flexible sigmoidoscopy. Wish I’d never listened to the programme now! This has sent my HA into overdrive - was quite accepting of the anticipated poo test when I get to 60 but I was 55 last month and am now waiting with dread for the invite letter to drop through my letterbox, although it may not even be available in my area yet! I am so anxious about having the procedure, although it is optional, and would be equally anxious if I didn’t. Has anyone been sent an invite to attend? Did you go? Was it awful? If I reach 56 and haven’t been invited, do I just go into the system to get the poo test at 60? Really freaking out here, I don’t want to spend this whole year anxsting about this and am too scared to ask my doctor, poor chap I see him sooooo often! Sorry for the long post.

The poo test is at 55 as a one off and at 60 it's every other year according to the NHS:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bowel-cancer-screening/

But it appears they are trying to roll out the scope at age 55 for everyone:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/bowel-cancer-screening-programme-overview#screening-test

Bowel scope screening
The programme is also rolling out bowel scope screening to all men and women in England aged 55.
Healthcare professionals should explain to people that this new test is not yet available everywhere across the country. The target is for all screening centres to be operational by December 2016.

So, it seems it comes down to the individual trusts as to when it goes live and it sounds like it's somewhat behind schedule. Bare in mind that says England. Scotland & Wales are under different versions of the NHS and can be ahead of NHS England or behind.

The NHS also state:

When it's offered
Bowel scope screening is being rolled out to all men and women in England aged 55. Depending on where you live, it may not be offered in your area yet.
If you're registered with a GP and live in an area where the test is available, you'll automatically be sent an invitation. Call the free bowel cancer screening helpline on 0800 707 60 60 to check if it's available in your area.
It's a one-off test, and you'll only be invited to have it once.
If you decide not to have the test straight away, you can have it at any point up to your 60th birthday. Call the free bowel cancer screening helpline on 0800 707 60 60 to arrange an appointment.

Cancer Research UK state The screening programme is also starting to invite people for a bowel scope test to look at the inside of the lower bowel and back passage (rectum). You have this test once, at age 55.

So, that's how you can check on this. However, you should have a local NHS trust website so it might say on there if you Google your area + "NHS trust" (usually works for me).

I can see evidence if individual trusts offering the scope from 55 via a quick Google.

KK77
31-03-18, 11:45
When I sent mine back I all I got was an angry response. To be fair, I did send my sample with "Customer Feedback Service Award" on the box to the head of the complaints dept at...:winks:

And your complaint was dealt with through the correct channels (straight into the biohazard bin) :shades:

MyNameIsTerry
01-04-18, 03:13
And your complaint was dealt with through the correct channels (straight into the biohazard bin) :shades:

Mr Putin might have had an interest...:whistles:

JaneS
01-04-18, 08:23
Thanks for your replies everybody, u made me smile at some of the comments and that’s a great way to reduce anxiety. Guess if it comes my way I’ll just get on and have it done, will pretend it’s like going for a smear test only different area! (I don’t get myself worked up waiting for that to come around). I think the roll out has been delayed across the country so could be a few years away anyway before the ‘invitation’ arrives.