PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight with anxiety

itiswhatitis
30-03-18, 11:56
Has anyone lost weight due to their anxiety? I weighed myself a month ago and again a few days ago and I’d lost 6lbs. My clothes also all feel looser. I feel like I haven’t changed my lifestyle although I have been more anxious than usual over the last few months, which has made me eat a little less (though my diet is still bad? I eat pizza often and snack), and I also have OCD and my compulsions (check this, do that etc) have been worse over this time too so I guess I’ve been moving more.

Could the weight loss be down to these things? I weighed myself again yesterday morning and I was 2lb lighter again than the other day, but it was morning and I hadn’t eaten anything so I’m trying to convince myself those are the reasons for that.
Everytime I wear my clothes and feel them being loose I get anxious because it reminds me.
I have told my doctor over the phone and she told me it’s common with anxiety and wants to see me in a few weeks to discuss my anxiety and check me out, I’m just going over the worst stuff in my head like “What if I just keep losing weight? What if I’m a few days I’m just skeletal?”

anom
30-03-18, 12:03
I know personally I weigh approx 3-4lb different in the morning compared to the evening.

(the first time I realised that was not the best of timing)

I'm having some health scares at the moment (well the last 10 weeks now) but I've also been trying to lose weight for exactly the same amount of time. Which makes it very difficult to work out if I'm losing weight because of something sinister/because I'm panicking like mad constantly or because I'm eating better.

I've lost about 15-16lb in 10 weeks (which is more than fine with my current weight - I needed to lose 3st+ anyway) and my calorie ..reduction worked out that I'd lose 1.5-2lb a week so its probably dietry related but I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was anxiety!

ankietyjoe
30-03-18, 13:23
The first time I had anxiety and then the accompanying depression I lost about 30lb in the first six months, and that was when I was absolutely lean in the first place. I have pics, and it's scary.

It's incredibly common.

Scass
30-03-18, 13:27
Yes, I often lose weight if I’m having an anxiety spiral ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matilda_H
30-03-18, 13:35
I lose weight like crazy during an anxiety spike. I eat way less during my anxiety spikes, too. I think it's quite common to lose weight during a particularly anxious period as it's quite hard on the body.

itiswhatitis
30-03-18, 22:42
Thanks guys, I appreciate your replies. I’m trying to calm myself now and make myself eat 3 meals a day etc. because the anxiety has been making me eat a little less so I think a good thing now would to take better care of myself. I weighed myself again today and I was the same as yesterday so I’m trying to let that reassure me.