PDA

View Full Version : Malaria Paranoia

yoshibear
30-03-18, 16:56
I have been having on and off health anxiety for years, this last few months I think I have hit a peak. I travel a lot and recently took a trip to Africa. I was so worked up about taking my anti-malarial tablets that I was convinced I was going to have a terrible reaction and die or become really sick when taking them. Long story short, I didn't take them.

Now I have returned and am so paranoid I have malaria that I am making myself sick and dizzy with worry. I can't believe I have put myself in this situation and as it can take 6 months for malaria to show up I foresee the next few months of my life being an absolute paranoid nightmare. I know I have been stupid...I keep thinking surely I would know if I had malaria, I wouldn't have to second guess it. But every slight chill or twinge I am googling malaria symptoms like a maniac. I think its time to get CBT, that and pray dearly that I don't actually have malaria...

Teenzor
21-04-18, 21:55
Honestly, you would know if you had malaria. It's like having a really bad flu, you feel completely wiped out. Also, don't feel too bad about not taking your anti-malarials. I took mine and still got malaria, they're not completely effective. Also, malaria is easily treatable and you will start to feel better with a few days of treatment. It's not as scary as people think, just unpleasant for a little bit.

MyNameIsTerry
22-04-18, 02:13
Honestly, you would know if you had malaria. It's like having a really bad flu, you feel completely wiped out. Also, don't feel too bad about not taking your anti-malarials. I took mine and still got malaria, they're not completely effective. Also, malaria is easily treatable and you will start to feel better with a few days of treatment. It's not as scary as people think, just unpleasant for a little bit.

Yep, you would. I had a friend who caught malaria when in the forces and it comes back now & ago at a lower level. He goes off work for a weak to sweat it off and can't do much of anything.

It is easily treatable, it's just we associate it with countries with poor medical systems and so their citizens have a bigger battle on their hands than someone in our countries where more money is put into healthcare.

Fishmanpa
22-04-18, 02:23
Being that this thread was posted three weeks ago and the OP hasn't been on since, I would imagine the OP is just fine :winks:

Positive thoughts