PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis you already have that doesn't worry you

bulan
01-04-18, 01:41
What diagnosis do you have that doesn't cause you anxiety? And why don't you feel anxious about it? It would be nice to see that some conditions are totally manageable and not worth fretting about. Here's my list:

Fibromyalgia - I've had this for 15 years, and I manage it to the best of my ability with sleep, occasionally Tylenol, relaxation, and gratitude. (Seriously, feeling grateful has real health benefits.) It even went into remission for years. During this time I got married, had a baby, got my masters degree, and even survived full-time caregiving for my Dad.

Myalgic encephalomyelitis (aka chronic fatigue syndrome) - This is a newer condition, and I've had it for about 2 years. It was confusing and the fatigue was formidable at first, but with rest and good advice from my naturopathic doctor, I've been recovering. My Mom has this too, and she's slowly recovering too. So there is hope.

MGUS (monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance) - This is my latest diagnosis, and I learned that the vast majority of people with MGUS live long, healthy lives. It's a benign condition, but a few patients go on to develop multiple myeloma. Those who do still have lots of hope, because research on treatments is exploding, and I've heard of patients living even 20 years past diagnosis. Lately I'm also meeting more patients whose MGUS diagnosis is being dropped because their blood tests are returning to normal. This is amazing and reason for stubborn hope! :)

What about you?

MyNameIsTerry
01-04-18, 02:53
Bulan,

Not having HA this isn't a thread I can add to but did you see the study on Tai Chi with fibro? Given your holistic & natural approach I expect that would be interesting to you? I can link the study if needed.

bulan
01-04-18, 15:06
Bulan,

Not having HA this isn't a thread I can add to but did you see the study on Tai Chi with fibro? Given your holistic & natural approach I expect that would be interesting to you? I can link the study if needed.
Sounds great, thanks Terry!

MyNameIsTerry
02-04-18, 07:05
Here you go. British Medical Journey article:

https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/360/bmj.k851.full.pdf

I haven't read that yet, I received a summary of it via a health site I've used in the past (a health mag), so I can't vouch for anything triggering in there but it is supposed to be for fibro so that seems unlikely.

The basic message is that they found it helped as much as recommended exercise so thought you might find it interesting in case you wanted to add it to your toolbox.

WiseMonkey
02-04-18, 09:14
Things that I have that I don't worry about are ...

*Various symptoms from my CFS (that I'm familiar with) Anything new that appears serious, is up for investigation.

bulan
02-04-18, 09:30
Things that I have that I don't worry about are ...

*Various symptoms from my CFS (that I'm familiar with) Anything new that appears serious, is up for investigation.

Yes, that's a wise approach!

---------- Post added at 04:30 ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 ----------

Here you go. British Medical Journey article:

https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/360/bmj.k851.full.pdf

I haven't read that yet, I received a summary of it via a health site I've used in the past (a health mag), so I can't vouch for anything triggering in there but it is supposed to be for fibro so that seems unlikely.

The basic message is that they found it helped as much as recommended exercise so thought you might find it interesting in case you wanted to add it to your toolbox.

Thanks so much, Terry! :)

sarahsarah
02-04-18, 19:54
I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2. It was one of my biggest health anxieties beforehand but guess what, 4 years down the line and it doesn't worry me at all. I keep it under control with exercise and a low-carb diet and my regular tests come back fine. I realise this condition is for life but I also know that I control it.

My health anxiety seems to focus on things I could be diagnosed with, rather than things I have. Actual health issues I seem to be able to cope well with, it's the ones where I am ten, twenty steps ahead in my head that cause me the anxiety. For example, a mole on my neck was sore the other day so in my head I am immediately diagnosing myself with melanoma that has spread to my organs, and spend days worrying and obsessing about it, until of course the mole stops being tender and I realise I must have just caught it with a hairbrush or something

Sparky16
03-04-18, 02:36
I'm vitamin D deficient, but that is easily remedied with supplements. I also had some early bone loss on a bone density scan (probably related to not knowing I was vitamin D deficient for years). I probably should be more worried about it, but the idea is to take calcium supplements, vitamin D supplements, and exercise and hopefully hold off further loss.

I also have IBS, but I've pretty well learned to cope with that.