PDA

View Full Version : Breathing issue and fear

Sturek
01-04-18, 12:11
So lately when I start to breath shallow and fall anxious I get a odd feeling in my chest or back. Typically just below my ribcage at the sternum area where the ribcage meets the stomach. Also sometimes in my back between my shoulder blades.

It typically comes when I am anxious and I start to breath very shallow and from my chest. The type of breathing where I am mentally in control the kind of breathing i hate. I get this feel that builds in my back or lower chest and it isnt pain. Its a discomfort but its also feels almost that area is full of fear. I realize that sounds very crazy! I can't find anything on it, but it always makes me feel like I want to panic really bad, and most of the time I do.

I do think the feeling gets worse as the urge for me to want to panic increases, but can't be sure. I just don't even know what it is i feel so upset. :(

Fishmanpa
01-04-18, 12:36
Pretty common anxiety SYMPTOM. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#BreathingShortness_of_breath)

Positive thoughts

Sturek
01-04-18, 12:43
It's not the shortness of breath feeling, its the odd feeling in my chest or back that seems to bring up major panic that is freaking me out.

Fishmanpa
01-04-18, 13:03
It's not the shortness of breath feeling, its the odd feeling in my chest or back that seems to bring up major panic that is freaking me out.

You're not getting it. Read your own post! You consciously start to breath shallow, feel more anxious and the result is a physical symptom associated with it which in turn causes you to spiral :winks:

Positive thoughts

Sturek
01-04-18, 13:05
I get that but i suppose my concern is no one else gets that feeling that i can tell when breathing shallow :| I realize that might be a tad irrational but, well anxiety :P

Matilda_H
01-04-18, 16:08
I've had a weird feeling like that before, and like yourself mine comes on when i'm feeling anxious. Your core is an area where you feel most of your emotions, so naturally when you're anxious it's going to start feeling weird things.

I've also had an ache or a pain, or feeling of pressure run through my whole diaphragm for several minutes at a time when I'm really anxious. Chest/back pains are the most common complaint from people with anxiety.

Try not to stress yourself out. :)

Sturek
01-04-18, 17:10
:( I will try, you know how it goes though haha.

Matilda_H
01-04-18, 17:52
I definitely do. Try living in the moment, as right here right now you're okay. :)

atl
03-04-18, 05:48
I went through a couple years of SWEARING up and down that I wasn't breathing right. That I was short of breath. This despite that I could climb up stairs and workout and play sports just fine. But sometimes I just felt like I couldn't breathe. She. It was bad this was every day.

Eventually, it just went away. Now it's a rare occurance for me to feel that way. It doesn't happen very frequently anymore and when it does I can pretty much say "oh, there's that again."

Best of luck.

james2012
24-08-18, 17:34
Hi I'm going through this at min last 7 days. I feel like I have a chesty cough but with no cough . Worse when standing upright . If had ecg done 3 weeks ago that was fine . Had lung function test last July was fine bloods all OK.