PDA

View Full Version : I’m scared if I have COPD.

HackGame
01-04-18, 20:20
I’m extremely scared I have COPD. I feel my breath becoming a tiny bit shorter everyday. I’m not healthy either, because I don’t really eat any fruits nor vegetables. And I’m 15 too! I’ve been getting excessive mucus in my throat along with tightness in my chest when holding my breath deeply.

Fishmanpa
01-04-18, 20:59
I’m 15

Nope! Not a chance :lac:

Positive thoughts

EmmyDay
01-04-18, 22:50
If you're struggling to breathe it's probably best you get it checked out, not because I'm concerned it's something major, but it could be regular asthma or perhaps a chest infection if it's short term, it should be looked into.
I really doubt you have anything nasty, it's probably not something you need to be too worried about [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

WorriedTQ
01-04-18, 22:50
Im pretty sure you've not got COPD. My dad had this .... he had many years of smoking and being exposed to harmful substances from working in factories and in his 50s before he developed it. Don't worry about this and i hope you feel better soon.

HackGame
02-04-18, 00:13
You sure not being healthy has nothing to do with this? Maybe it’s a few hours of exposure for second hand smoke. Or at church where they added fire smoke scent that irritates me and my breathing. (Also I apologize if I’m making anyone cringe, but I feel terrible not being able to do anything!)

nomorepanic
02-04-18, 00:17
You can't get COPD at your age or like that.

See the doctor in case it is asthma though.

NervUs
02-04-18, 02:10
Much more likely to be asthma!!!

MyNameIsTerry
02-04-18, 02:56
My mum was diagnosed with COPD in January. She was having tests through the whole of 2017...the NHS was so slow at the hospital. She is mid seventies and has had asthma for decades. Think about that? Elderly, asthma sufferer and at least a year of untreated COPD (no med changes were made until diagnosis as they were investigating her heart instead). And she was fine and still is. Doesn't that tell you it's not what you may read in horror stories on the internet?

You get tightness in your chest when you hold a deep breath...like all human beings. That's your brain taking over to force you to breath out to breath in again. You can try to consciously control your breath for as long as you want to but it's a subconscious process programmed from birth and it will do it on it's own or intervene to stop you holding it too long.

I can't say I'm convinced about asthma from these details to be honest as anxiety can easily cause all what you say and mucus can be from so many things (inflammation in asthma does lead to more mucus though, bare in mind mucus is supposed to be there anyway). However, a GP can very easily have a listen and perform basic tests there & then to determine asthma. But be honest with them about your anxiety so they can factor that in rather than keep trying to work out what it may NOT be. And talking to them about your anxiety would be a very good idea anyway.

Louna
02-04-18, 03:07
asthma is exactly what you described
I’ve had it all my life, i’m 23.
Do make an appointment so they can give you an inhaler / medication for your asthma.
Nothing to be worried about!!

Dave_Lister
02-04-18, 17:50
I’m extremely scared I have COPD. I feel my breath becoming a tiny bit shorter everyday. I’m not healthy either, because I don’t really eat any fruits nor vegetables. And I’m 15 too! I’ve been getting excessive mucus in my throat along with tightness in my chest when holding my breath deeply.

No way you have COPD kiddo. you may have some anxiety going on and that is why you have a tight chest.

Talk to your parents about this, and they can help you figure this out, but trust me when I say you DO NOT HAVE COPD.:hugs:

Fishmanpa
02-04-18, 18:32
Maybe it’s a few hours of exposure for second hand smoke. Or at church where they added fire smoke scent that irritates me and my breathing. (Also I apologize if I’m making anyone cringe, but I feel terrible not being able to do anything!)

You weren't exposed to 2nd hand smoke! You were in a vehicle where someone smoked and it had the odor of smoke in it. That's not exposure.

I have mild COPD from smoking. It was detected in tests. I have absolutely no symptoms. You're 15. You don't have COPD. It's just not feasible based on the circumstances.

Concerning your breathing? You're so anxious that you're hyper focused on every little niggle and frankly, how can one actually notice and measure a "tiny bit" on a daily basis? Anxiety can cause breathing issues (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#BreathingShortness_of_breath).

As was mentioned, if indeed you truly are having difficulty breathing, have your parents take you to the doctor. Also, talk to your parents about your fears as well. Perhaps they can get you help for your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

HackGame
02-04-18, 22:26
Well, I'll keep note of that. Any tips on eating healthy? Because it's a lot harder than I thought it would be. The only vegetable I like to eat are cucumbers. Also, has anyone taken the Pulmonary test for experience? Because it's hard as shit for me that I failed it.

HackGame
20-04-18, 19:00
Also, I’ve been having excessive mucus that are mostly clear/white and yellow. It was shown it was a sign of COPD. Sorry, I’ve been having it for over a month and it’s pretty difficult to think of other cases. ^ ^;;

paranoid-viking
20-04-18, 19:03

People your age dont get COPD. It is a disease for elderly people whose been heavy smokers for decades. Like one I know who got it after 50 years of smoking.

If you dont eat any fruit or vegetables I dont think it is a bad idea to start doing it now! Start today!

AMomentofClarity
20-04-18, 19:07
Also, I’ve been having excessive mucus that are mostly clear/white and yellow. It was shown it was a sign of COPD. Sorry, I’ve been having it for over a month and it’s pretty difficult to think of other cases. ^ ^;;

You’re 15 years old. There MUST be something better that you could be doing on a Friday afternoon, than posting to an anxiety forum, worrying about diseases that are impossible for you to have.

MyNameIsTerry
21-04-18, 02:05
People your age dont get COPD. It is a disease for elderly people whose been heavy smokers for decades. Like one I know who got it after 50 years of smoking.

If you dont eat any fruit or vegetables I dont think it is a bad idea to start doing it now! Start today!

That's incorrect. It's just that it's mainly them. It's middle-age onwards, not just the elderly.

My mum has it and has never smoked. Her mother had it due to factor work as a young girl...remember COPD is a group of conditions and emphysema in this case before the term COPD had come about.

paranoid-viking
21-04-18, 11:32
That's incorrect. It's just that it's mainly them. It's middle-age onwards, not just the elderly.

My mum has it and has never smoked. Her mother had it due to factor work as a young girl...remember COPD is a group of conditions and emphysema in this case before the term COPD had come about.

Well, I meant people from their 50s and onwards when I wrote elderly. And my point was that there was mainly people with a decades long history of smoking, although there are exeptions. Sad to hear that your mother has it though.

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

But I never ever heard about teenagers getting COPD. Maybe it was someone in the old days when they were sent to work in the coal mines from the age of 8 or something.

MyNameIsTerry
22-04-18, 02:18
Well, I meant people from their 50s and onwards when I wrote elderly. And my point was that there was mainly people with a decades long history of smoking, although there are exeptions. Sad to hear that your mother has it though.

But I never ever heard about teenagers getting COPD. Maybe it was someone in the old days when they were sent to work in the coal mines from the age of 8 or something.

Thanks PV, luckily she is a mild case. She had asthma before so it's just something to keep an eye on when ill with colds. The meds are helping. My dad knows people with COPD too and they find it doesn't affect their lives.

I agree with you about the rest. It's a disorder related to smokers mostly but before it was rebranded as COPD it was always well known as an occupational risk e.g. miners, factory workers, etc. Working conditions will have changed this over the last 50 years for the UK but other countries I'm sure will see much more of this outside of smoking.

Fishmanpa
22-04-18, 02:30

50's and older is "elderly"? Pffft.... thanks a lot! :roflmao: It's true though. My step mother passed from COPD in her 70's and she was a smoker. the OP is a 15 year old child, never smoked nor was exposed to 2nd hand smoke. This is totally baseless and irrational fear.

Positive thoughts