PDA

View Full Version : reaction to antibiotic

megsi99
02-04-18, 13:52
it's a been a rough couple of weeks for my health anxiety. About two weeks ago, I was diagnosed with a kidney infection and was put on bactrim for 10 days. Eight days into it, I developed hives on my legs and ankles, so I had to stop. The next morning I went to the ER because my throat felt tight, so they gave me a steroid. They also did a urine culture to make sure the infection was gone. It wasn't.

So, my doctor but me on keflex, a form of pencillin. I've been taking that since Friday night and last night my skin started feeling itchy. no rash, and i'm still on my steroid from the last reaction so i don't even know if something will show up.

I'm panicked about having another reaction to an antibiotic (because it sucks) and I don't want to have to switch meds again, because now I'm getting anxious about my infection not going away. Right now I'm taking the approach to monitor my symptoms and if I see a rash or my throat gets tight again, I'll call my doctor. But until then, I know I'll be worrying. I'm supposed to be on this for 7 days and I'm only three days in.

KK77
02-04-18, 13:57
Understand your worry about infection not being treated because of the reactions you've had to other antibiotics, but think you're doing right thing by remaining vigilant. Hope you don't have another reaction to this med and infection goes.

EmmyDay
02-04-18, 17:35
I think it's best to keep an eye on it, reactions to antibiotics should always be monitored and mentioned to a health care professional.
Are you sure it's itching connected to the antibiotics or could it just be regular itches?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

megsi99
02-04-18, 18:15
I did call my doctor, she said it could be residual itchiness from my reaction last week. She also said to watch for other symptoms, like a rash, hives or throat swelling. So, I'll guess I'll just be on stressful alert the rest of the week. I'm glad I can keep taking my medicine, at least!