PDA

View Full Version : Prion Disease

Slsheeba567
03-04-18, 00:20
Recently I've developed this phobia of eating, especially with meat, because I'm afraid it has human flesh in it. Well tonight I finally had a fish sandwich for dinner, and it tasted REALLY weird, and now I feel terribly nauseous and have an awful headache, and just got back from making myself puke to feel better. Basically, I'm afraid it was human meat and now I have Prion Disease, like the ones tribes get in New Guinea from cannibalism.

nomorepanic
03-04-18, 00:24
Not possible at all.

Paul84
03-04-18, 00:52
Not a chance.

Fishmanpa
03-04-18, 01:54
Was a certain brand of fish or fast food place? Asking as I've been having these cravings lately :scared15: :winks:

Positive thoughts

Slsheeba567
03-04-18, 02:05
It was a sort of fish patty, like a burger but with fish. I got it from Publix.

Fishmanpa
03-04-18, 02:23
I think my zombie buddies and I need to plan a shopping trip :winks: :D

Positive thoughts

Sparky16
03-04-18, 02:41
Sounds like a combination of anxiety and cheap fish patties from Publix.

Slsheeba567
03-04-18, 03:08
Oddly enough, my father didn't feel sick at all, even though he had the exact same fish patty as me. What's doubly odd is that he has a stomach problem too, and still didn't feel sick.

Slsheeba567
03-04-18, 13:32
The name of the burger was: "Grouper Burgers."

nomorepanic
03-04-18, 13:47
There is still no chance!

Imeleedi
03-04-18, 19:04
There is still no chance!

From someone who knows more about prion diseases than probably anyone on this forum let me just say

You have more chance of getting struck by lightning 3 times in a row.

venusbluejeans
03-04-18, 19:21
From someone who knows more about prion diseases than probably anyone on this forum let me just say

You have more chance of getting struck by lightning 3 times in a row.

just the 3 times? :shrug: I think maybe getting struck by lightning 3 times while scratching a winning million $/£ lottery scratchcard :D

Imeleedi
03-04-18, 19:27
just the 3 times? :shrug: I think maybe getting struck by lightning 3 times while scratching a winning million $/£ lottery scratchcard :D

Truth be told its a tricky answer. If we were to take his post for his actual fear (which is acquired prion disease aka from contaminated meat) you are right, the odds are totally incalculable given that he's not even from Europe and didn't eat wild deer.

His chances of getting a sporadic type is much more likely (but still unbelievable unlikely) so I just kind of made some springer up half assed guess halfway between both stats :roflmao:

Slsheeba567
04-04-18, 01:16
I'm a girl, but thanks for the reassurance, it means a lot :)

MyNameIsTerry
04-04-18, 01:50
I think your other thread demonstrates where this started:

www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=215971

So I was just browsing around on the Internet, not looking for anything specific when I came across a comment that said McDonald’s is made from the flesh of children, then I discovered the movie Soylent Green, and it’s all gone downhill from there, and I’m afraid to eat anything from fear it is made from human flesh disguised as meat. I feel like I’m going crazy and I’m so so scared that we are currently living in Soylent Green, and I just wish I never stumbled across that comment in the first place. I feel like a paranoid wreck now. I hate conspiracy theories.

I suspect your anxiety over this will calm down if you work on not reacting to intrusive thoughts about this trigger or search out further information aimed at backing up your fear.

I suspect the person who triggered your fear is either a troll or someone with serious issues with paranoia. Sadly, the internet has given such people voices to upset people worldwide and your anxiety has latched on it.

So, the issue lies with the anxiety itself, not this theme. This theme may disappear but your anxiety will latch onto something else otherwise you wouldn't have reacted so negatively to this situation.

Work on reducing your negative reactions to thoughts you receive or triggers you come across. This will teach your subconscious you are not interested in such things. Relaxation work, healthy daily activities, exercise, etc can all help too.

Slsheeba567
04-04-18, 13:55
I'm so afraid because I've been showing an incredible amount of apathy lately, and almost depression and apparently that's a symptom of prion disease. Like my ocd makes me feel extremely guilty all the time, but lately I don't feel anything and it's scaring me so bad.

Imeleedi
04-04-18, 21:06
I'm so afraid because I've been showing an incredible amount of apathy lately, and almost depression and apparently that's a symptom of prion disease. Like my ocd makes me feel extremely guilty all the time, but lately I don't feel anything and it's scaring me so bad.

There's apathy from low mood, and then there's the type of apathy described in the literature from prion diseases.

Just a few examples

One patients apathy was such that despite not being able to walk and having constant pain, they never once even asked "what was wrong with them" throughout the whole illness.

Another would just stare at nothing, all day everyday despite still being responsive and lucid.

Many just stop eating

Almost always it starts off with a TOTAL lack of self care or presentation anymore. Stopping washing, getting haircuts, even changing clothes.

The level of apathy is extreme. Not in anyway similar to just persistent ow mood, which is more likely what I suspect to be your case.

Slsheeba567
04-04-18, 21:26
Yeah, I just really feel like getting in bed and never leaving, I also feel really tired ALL the time lately. I thinking of starting Lexapro soon. But the level of apathy is so bad, I'm not even afraid of dying from this anymore, which scares me beyond belief, because it's like when a dog won't eat. If I don't worry, you know there's something seriously wrong.

Imeleedi
04-04-18, 21:31
Yeah, I just really feel like getting in bed and never leaving, I also feel really tired ALL the time lately. I thinking of starting Lexapro soon. But the level of apathy is so bad, I'm not even afraid of dying from this anymore, which scares me beyond belief, because it's like when a dog won't eat. If I don't worry, you know there's something seriously wrong.

You're just fatigued from worry and have landed in a period of low mood. This is typically following a period of anxiety and its usually presides actual depression. I'd possibly consider seeing your gp (or w/e equivalent you have in the states) and discussing your worsening low mood. You definitely don't want to hit a major depressive disorder which is often the case where anxiety followed by apathy leads.

Slsheeba567
04-04-18, 21:36
True, I think I'll set up an appointment soon. There should definitely be a follow-up appointment soon after I start the Lexapro. I've struggled with HA for about a year now, I think my body is fed up with this find something-worry-move on to another thing cycle every couple of days, it's just completely shutting down in terms of caring at this point. The more stubborn part of me says it's definitely Prion Disease still, and I'm crazy for not being worried about this.

Imeleedi
04-04-18, 21:49
True, I think I'll set up an appointment soon. There should definitely be a follow-up appointment soon after I start the Lexapro. I've struggled with HA for about a year now, I think my body is fed up with this find something-worry-move on to another thing cycle every couple of days, it's just completely shutting down in terms of caring at this point. The more stubborn part of me says it's definitely Prion Disease still, and I'm crazy for not being worried about this.

For what its worth.

I can honestly say, with 100% surety that from everything you have told me, I wouldn't suspect you of having prion disease anymore than a random person that walks past me in the street.

Go set up that meeting with your GP and if you need to meet regularly with them (every 6 weeks or so) just to keep on top of it and not let things spiral. I suspect you are on the edge right now between getting better and falling into a really bad place. Do not let the latter happen.

MyNameIsTerry
05-04-18, 02:01

Apathy with anxiety is very common. Sometimes your anxiety has beaten you down so much that your body responds by needing down time. Remember that all this adrenaline can't be kept up and the body responds to calm you down just as a high period of panic or anxiety can result in DP/DR as the body tries to flee from painful situations.

You know how rare this is and you know there are no cannibal food making companies and all meat is tested to very strict standards to prevent many
forms of food poisoning set by agencies for the US, the EU, etc.

Now think about say cancer. How many threads do we see with a symptom like fatigue? Yes, cancer sufferers get fatigue but so do many other conditions including anxiety. So, which is more likely? The cancer or the anxiety remembering the poster already has anxiety? The same applies to your fears over these diseases when it comes to this apathy.

tan235
05-04-18, 11:19
What - how would a fish patty contain human flesh? Is this a sci-fi post?!

Slsheeba567
05-04-18, 13:21
So I took my first Lexapro pill this morning, it should take a couple of weeks to start working. I felt really off yesterday, but after getting a good night's sleep I feel a lot better. Just curious, how long would it take for you to really start to show symptoms of Prion Disease, if anyone knows? Like you would know something is seriously wrong?

Fishmanpa
05-04-18, 13:29
Just curious, how long would it take for you to really start to show symptoms of Prion Disease

Really now... I understand that your mind won't shut up about this but the reality is it's just not possible. The FDA food preparation precautions and guidelines in place would 100% prevent it.

Positive thoughts

Slsheeba567
05-04-18, 15:49
I know, it's just hard to believe nothing's wrong with you when you've had a pressure headache for days, and feel apathetic and depressed, and keep falling asleep all day everyday.

Fishmanpa
05-04-18, 15:57
I know, it's just hard to believe nothing's wrong with you when you've had a pressure headache for days, and feel apathetic and depressed, and keep falling asleep all day everyday.

You do have an illness, just not a physical one. I advise you to start the Lexapro as prescribed by your psychiatrist. You need a break from all the thoughts that are tormenting you and the meds can help calm them. What does your psychiatrist say about this?

Positive thoughts

Slsheeba567
05-04-18, 16:00
Nothing yet, I should be going to visit soon to check in on how the Lexapro is working. I started taking it this morning, it should be awhile before it starts to work.

Imeleedi
05-04-18, 20:47
So I took my first Lexapro pill this morning, it should take a couple of weeks to start working. I felt really off yesterday, but after getting a good night's sleep I feel a lot better. Just curious, how long would it take for you to really start to show symptoms of Prion Disease, if anyone knows? Like you would know something is seriously wrong?

Depends totally on the type of prion disease and varies from person to person. Generally speaking though, obvious neurological deficits like chorea, gait ataxia and abnormal posturing appear 4-6 months in with young people. With people over 50 by that time they are often sadly already dead.

It's irrelevant though because you don't have it.

Just focus on improving your mood and stay on your medication.

Slsheeba567
05-04-18, 22:04
Is rash a symptom? I swore to myself and my therapist I wouldn't google symptoms anymore, but there are rashes appearing behind my knees and I'm freaking out and holding myself back from googling, but it's so hard.

Fishmanpa
05-04-18, 22:14
Whatever you do, don't watch "The Santa Clarita Diet" :winks: (Which btw is darkly hilarious!)

FMP

Imeleedi
06-04-18, 18:32
Is rash a symptom? I swore to myself and my therapist I wouldn't google symptoms anymore, but there are rashes appearing behind my knees and I'm freaking out and holding myself back from googling, but it's so hard.

Extreme itching is, but to the best of my knowledge a rash isn't, no.

Slsheeba567
06-04-18, 18:44
Oh gosh, I already have really bad itching from withdrawal off my latest medication.

schmol
07-04-18, 09:14
Hello there,
I did some rudimentary research on prion disease a few years back. Here's what I'm thinking: Prion disease does not occur that quickly. Symptoms don't show up for quite some time as far as I know. What is more likely is the fish patty was cooked wrong, in which case you may have some mild form of food poisoning.
Best wishes

Deepseathree
07-04-18, 20:43
How common are prion dieseases. Like a sporadic one for example. Just out of curiosity.

schmol
07-04-18, 21:58
From what I can tell, DS3, they don't happen at all in the First World countries. I tried looking up statistics and found none, meaning that it's probably so rare nobody's even thought to make statistics.
Best wishes

Slsheeba567
08-04-18, 06:08
So it's day 5 on the Lexapro and I'm developing really bad insomnia, I haven't slept at all thr last 2 days and I'm exhausted but I just CAN'T FALL ASLEEP. Please someone help, I'm afraid I'm developing Fatal Familial Insomnia.

Imeleedi
08-04-18, 11:54
How common are prion diseases. Like a sporadic one for example. Just out of curiosity.

Sporadic cjd - 1 in 1 million (per year) - This is by far the most common type.
Genetic Cjd - About 1 in 10 million
Variant cjd - Something like 1 in 50 million.
Acquired cjd - About the same as Vcjd
Kuru - (near 0 as the disease is thought to have died out)
FFI - Only about 150 people have ever died from it so..
Sporadic FI - Only about 9 recorded deaths worldwide in history.

So yeah, pretty damn rare overall. Though some experts from the CJD unit in the UK put the real numbers at around 1 in 5000 for lifetime risk as they believe it is often misdiagnosed.

Slsheeba567
08-04-18, 13:12
So I rolled over at about 7:00 this morning, and honestly I have no idea if I actually slept or not. At this point, I'm afraid I'm gonna die of sleep deprivation.

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-18, 03:02
SSRI's mess up your REM sleep initially but it will return to normal. Insomnia is a big side effect of these types of meds and it can be really tough to get through as whilst you may not always realise it, sleep does at least regenerate some of your strength of mind to keep going. When you start with insomnia it feels like there is no respite, no escape from the anxiety, and we tend to turn on ourselves more with panic about that which just keeps insomnia going.

If it really gets bad, talk to your GP about it. They may try to help you with some meds for a short period to give you some respite. Otherwise, try to follow sleep hygiene advice.

The same with itching, you know it's a side effect. Your anxiety is bound to try to link it to something horrible but the odds of such things are incredibly rare yet you are on a med that it is incredibly common with.

Itching can be helped with creams too. Many meds cause itching early on or even long time for some people (my mum's various meds cause her skin problems). I've recently started blood pressure meds and I'm itching quite a bit since the 2nd week. Using E45 cream helps calm it down, keeping showered (baths are always a good thing too), and be wary of heavy woollen garments, anything tight, etc as these can make it worse.

Iwant2bhealthy
11-04-18, 00:56
I started taking it this morning.

I would suggest that you take it in the evening instead. After dinner. That's the advice that I got amd it worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk