PDA

View Full Version : Stomach fat or ascites/water retention

louise123_uk
03-04-18, 13:58
I am feeling very bloated today, my tummy feels quite fat, it is soft and squishy and shifts about and I can 'pinch an inch'. I overdid the partying a bit at weekend, a couple of boozy nights out and have started to fret I may have given myself cirrhosis of the liver or something like this.

I am a bit overweight and have a bit of a pot belly at the moment but how do I tell if this is fat or water/ascites? I tend to fret when a bit hungover about health more than usual and I am the type of person who frets they have something serious e.g. a cough when I have been around people smoking might seem like lung cancer.... and I'm susceptible to worrying about stuff that is in the media. I only tend to drink at weekends but I do have a tendency to have one too many on nights out and thinking about this has scared me that I've given myself something awful.

My legs feels shaky and off balance (I have this anyway but worse today). I have a tight stomach beneath my boobs that is panicing me as it feels hard to breathe and I've read this could be a sign of ascites/water. I think this is adding to my off balance, shaky feelings.

Any help on how to tell the difference would be great or experience of this worry :-(

Emc
03-04-18, 15:34
OK so first off there is no way you have caused cirrhosis with one heavy eeekend - it takes years of chronic abuse to develop cirrhosis & longer again for the liver to decomprnsate & cause ascites.
It’s far more likely to be gas if anything tbh.
Try not to over think this & stop googling!

louise123_uk
03-04-18, 15:45
Thanks for your reply, I do overthink and I do have a bit of an upset stomach so gas isn't impossible. I am 34 though and do regularly drink with friends on a weekend.....

AMomentofClarity
03-04-18, 16:17
Thanks for your reply, I do overthink and I do have a bit of an upset stomach so gas isn't impossible. I am 34 though and do regularly drink with friends on a weekend.....

Lots of people drink, even binge drink, with friends on weekends throughout their 20s and early 30s. Very very few probably end up with symptoms of end stage liver disease.

If I were you, I wouldn’t worry about it. If that’s not possible, then reduce your drinking habit.

Emc
03-04-18, 20:25
Weekend drinking doesn’t cause liver disease - heavy daily drinking does. Try not to panic. X