PDA

View Full Version : Fear of knives

bigbv2015
03-04-18, 14:08
Hey everyone I notice someone had a similar topic in 2007 about this and got nothing but great support and it's all due to anxiety. Does anyone else have this where when they use knives sometimes they get these thoughts and fear and even when not using a knife because of fearing of it so much at first it sticks around and sometimes your mind makes you have thoughts of what harm they could be .....

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

t0rt01se36
03-04-18, 16:21
Haven't been diagnosed, but I definitely have a fear of knives.

bigbv2015
03-04-18, 17:45
Yeah I believe it's more anxiety then anything

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Most of the time in fine though it's on some times through the day

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

Yeah it's something that our body's can heal just takes time that's all

MyNameIsTerry
04-04-18, 02:00
I think your are talking about intrusive thoughts. The knife acts as a trigger.

There are tons of posts about harm based intrusive thoughts, mostly on the OCD board. I would suggest checking them out. Fear if using a knife on oneself or others is a common element of this theme, been through it myself, and it is important to work on your compulsions when these thoughts come (avoidance, hiding knives, etc all reinforce the fear by giving it importance) and how your react to the thoughts as they come (the cycle feeds on a negative response to reinforce the cycle).

I don't think it's a fear of knives, more a fear of doing something to harm you or a loved one most likely or a fear of loss of control or maybe even fear if more serious mental health issues. All are common with many intrusive thoughts themes.

You can beat it, I did.