PDA

View Full Version : Used ear drops to clear wax, now gone deaf

Wilburis
03-04-18, 20:31
:blush:

Ive been told I have a build up of wax in one of my ears.

I have been hearing my heartbeat in that ear so I though it was time to shift it.

I bought some hydrogen peroxide ear drops (Earex).

I used them today, then cleaned my ear with a q tip.

Now Ive gone deaf in that ear. :blush:

What I can hear is like a whistle, like wind blowing and my damn heartbeat :shrug:.

So frustrated and annoyed and freaked out.

I want my hearing back :wacko::wacko:

KK77
03-04-18, 20:36
Maybe you pushed the earwax deeper into canal. Think you need to make appointment with GP so they can syringe ear to flush earwax out.

Kingdawson
03-04-18, 20:41
Maybe you pushed the earwax deeper into canal. Think you need to make appointment with GP so they can syringe ear to flush earwax out.

I wouldn't risk syringe as it can cause bad tinnitus. Wait a few days as it might clear up imo.

NancyW
03-04-18, 23:24
My husband had this a couple months ago, he saw his gp. It was an easy, painless fix in the office. He got instant relief.

lofwyr
04-04-18, 00:50
Agreed. As a guy who deals with constant ear wax issues, bad ear wax issues, get a doc to take care of it. They scrape, and you are good to go in seconds.

MyNameIsTerry
04-04-18, 01:57
Put it to your pharmacist, they will tell you if a GP is needed. I think it is worth asking about. The pharmacist may give you some good advice on treating this in the future so it doesn't happen again and the NHS do tell us to utilise them as a service.

Sleepy
04-04-18, 10:50
The last two times this happened to me I had the suction method used on my ears. I have narrow ear canals which block easily, and I now NEVER use cotton buds! Unfortunately the wait time on the NHS was two weeks and I had gone deaf so I paid privately.

KK77
04-04-18, 13:17
I wouldn't risk syringe as it can cause bad tinnitus. Wait a few days as it might clear up imo.

Do you have evidence of this or is it just your own experience/opinion?

Maybe they use less invasive techniques now... Best to consult GP anyway if it doesn't clear up.

Sleepy
04-04-18, 15:06
The ENT consultant who cleared my ears said that suction is much safer than syringing, especially if you have narrow canals.

Wilburis
04-04-18, 17:10
Hi

I went to the pharmacy and unbelievably, the same thing had happened to the lady behind the counter! SHe'd even used the same drops.

Im having my ears syringed next Wednesday :D

Need to put olive oil drops in everyday to loosen the wax :blush:

Annaboodle
04-04-18, 17:15
Hi

I went to the pharmacy and unbelievably, the same thing had happened to the lady behind the counter! SHe'd even used the same drops.

Im having my ears syringed next Wednesday :D

Need to put olive oil drops in everyday to loosen the wax :blush:

My partner has to have his ears syringed once or twice a year due to wax build-up. He tried the drops you used and said he felt like the inside of his ear was burning/inflammed after, so since then he's used olive oil to soften the wax before syringing. The oil does the same thing anyway, it's just a wee bit messier. He's never had any problems with syringing and that's from decades of having it done every year (he's in his 50s). Wax build-up can make you feel really weird and spaced out and like you're hearing everything under water. You might have dislodged some wax with the Q-tip and pushed it further into the ear even.

Wilburis
04-04-18, 23:01
Hi Annaboodle

Thank you :D

x

Wilburis
11-04-18, 22:08
Hello

I had my ears syringed today. Oooo, that was a weird feeling.

The deaf ear couldnt be done - wax was too far down the ear canal and apparently it's a very narrow canal.

Have to keep on with the olive oil and go back next week.

xx