PDA

View Full Version : scared of sepsis bc of broken tooth

lucky-one
03-04-18, 22:00
I've been reading through this website for a while but I've never posted anything but I've gotten to a point where I'm just so anxious I don't know what to do, i can't even really sleep :/
so a tooth of mine broke a while ago, quite a bit even but I've had a root canal done to it ages ago (which is also probably why it's chipping off) so I kept putting going to the dentist off because it's been a really stressful time lately. I have no pain whatsoever, it's not swollen I think, there's no puss, it's not bleeding, nothing. But today I started getting a headache and generally a but nauseous and faint...but then again, I haven't eaten much and drank about 1.5L of water. It probably sounds so ridiculous and unreasonable but I'm just so scared I have a sepsis???
Its also really late so I can't really go anywhere, I'm hoping I can get a dentist appointment on thursday but I'm, and thisis gonna sound nuts, scared I'm not gonna make it through the night...I dont know what to do :/ I'm not sure if it's relevant but I'm 19 and generally pretty healthy (except for health anxiety :weep: )

BikerMatt
03-04-18, 22:14
I don't think you can get an infection from a tooth that's had a root canal. The living part of the tooth has been removed. I had root canal treatment on a tooth probably 20 years ago and it broke off at the gum within weeks, my dentist just left the gum to grow of it and i've never had any problems.

unsure_about_this
03-04-18, 22:19
Hi

I agree with Bikermatt, I don't want to scare you that I had an infection from my root canal which I had 10 years previous in 2006 and had it done in 2016 but I had an abscess.

NancyW
03-04-18, 23:10
Hi

I agree with Bikermatt, I don't want to scare you that I had an infection from my root canal which I had 10 years previous in 2006 and had it done in 2016 but I had an abscess.

Happened to my son too. He had to have a second root canal.

I just don't get why people let their teeth go to hell. And what kind of dentist leaves a broken root and let's the gum grow over it? I'm sorry no offense but OMG. :-/

BikerMatt
03-04-18, 23:41

I just don't get why people let their teeth go to hell. And what kind of dentist leaves a broken root and let's the gum grow over it? I'm sorry no offense but OMG. :-/

I have no idea why my dentist said it was safe to leave it. I can only think a root canal treated tooth is filled up with whatever they fill the roots up with, so i just did what the dentist said and had no problems.

My teeth are ok by the way and people let their teeth go bad for many reasons and circumstances.

Annaboodle
04-04-18, 10:29

Well, not going to the dentist (this doesn't apply to the OP or other posters) is a fairly typical thing that tends to slip when you have bad anxiety, along with arranging or keeping other appointments. Having a bath or shower might be a struggle for some sufferers at times. That's been my personal experience of anxiety anyway sadly.

BikerMatt
04-04-18, 14:18
Well, not going to the dentist (this doesn't apply to the OP or other posters) is a fairly typical thing that tends to slip when you have bad anxiety, along with arranging or keeping other appointments. Having a bath or shower might be a struggle for some sufferers at times. That's been my personal experience of anxiety anyway sadly.

Yep, i don't understand why Nancy would post why she can't understand why people let their teeth go to hell:shrug: especially on a MH health forum. I've seen many posts here over the years from people with dental issues due to MH problems. As i said earlier there are also many other reasons too.

The OP was worried of sepsis as a tooth had chipped, that was all and none of the other posters said anything about having bad teeth.

unsure_about_this
04-04-18, 17:19
I have no problems going to the dentist as I go regularly, just got a very small mouth to keep clean. I hate going to the dentist

lucky-one
04-04-18, 20:23

no offence either but you just said that you don't understand how people let their teeth go to hell but your own son had to get a root canal done too so...:unsure:

Anyways, I'm happy to report that i did make it through the night (what a surprise) and that I got an appointment for tomorrow! I might had to lie that I'm in pain but...whatever gets you through.

I also just wanna throw in here that most of my teeth are pretty well.

And I'm not even sure if this belongs in this thread but in general my sepsis fear isn't only sparked by that tooth, last week it was one of my ear piercings that i accidentally ripped out with a towel which got a bit irritated afterwards, today it's the little cut i got from throwing something in the bin which is also why i immediately ran to the nearest pharmacy to get it disinfected but i'm still scared as hell i'm gonna die but what can you do lol