PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Pneumonia

kaos424
03-04-18, 23:55
Hey everyone.

I am really struggling right now worrying I might have the start of Pnemonia. Last Friday I was sick vomiting and diarrhea with a headache. That lasted a day and then I was nauseous for a couple days. Now I have a runny nose and intermittent cough with some phlegm production. Clear phlegm mostly. I've gone without a fever throughout the entire illness so far.

I work with a lot of clients who could be sick and some have pnemonia chronicly.

I have this weird feeling In my chest. Like mild discomfort. I cannot tell if it's because there's something going on in there or not.

I'd really just like to hear your guys thoughts coming from people who also deal with health anxiety.

Thanks all.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

EmmyDay
04-04-18, 00:28
Hiya
Although I think this could quite easily be a not very nice bug, I do think you should go to your doctors as it's always best to get it checked out. You do have some symptoms of pneumonia, however things like nausea are more uncommon side effects. I'd say it's definitely a positive sign you don't have a fever!
Do you have any difficulty breathing, a loss of appetite, or sweating/shivering? These are some more common signs of pneumonia which you may want to look out for.
Even if you did have pneumonia, there's so many things they do these days and generally the only people who get dangerous effects are at risk groups, many people even are able to get better at home with rest and some antibiotics. Definitely get down to the doctor to check as it's always best to make sure, but a lot of your symptoms are the more uncommon ones.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kaos424
04-04-18, 00:34
Hiya
Although I think this could quite easily be a not very nice bug, I do think you should go to your doctors as it's always best to get it checked out. You do have some symptoms of pneumonia, however things like nausea are more uncommon side effects. I'd say it's definitely a positive sign you don't have a fever!
Do you have any difficulty breathing, a loss of appetite, or sweating/shivering? These are some more common signs of pneumonia which you may want to look out for.
Even if you did have pneumonia, there's so many things they do these days and generally the only people who get dangerous effects are at risk groups, many people even are able to get better at home with rest and some antibiotics. Definitely get down to the doctor to check as it's always best to make sure, but a lot of your symptoms are the more uncommon ones.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TapatalkHey there,

I'm not experiencing any shivers or sweating. I've been able to eat fairly well. Just have that feeling in my chest and throat, a runny nose, intermittent cough with some clear/white phlegm. I also just kind of feel tired like fatigued. There's times I feel slightly short of breath but I can't tell if it's just in my head or not at this point. I called and spoke with the nurse and she basically said unless I get a fever, have difficulty breathing for sure, or the phlegm turns green/brown that I should wait it out. Kind of brushed it off.

As you likely know, that doesn't exactly make the worry go away. My mind still says Pneumonia. I just keep drinking water and taking vitamin c.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

EmmyDay
04-04-18, 00:40
Hey there,

I'm not experiencing any shivers or sweating. I've been able to eat fairly well. Just have that feeling in my chest and throat, a runny nose, intermittent cough with some clear/white phlegm. I also just kind of feel tired like fatigued. There's times I feel slightly short of breath but I can't tell if it's just in my head or not at this point. I called and spoke with the nurse and she basically said unless I get a fever, have difficulty breathing for sure, or the phlegm turns green/brown that I should wait it out. Kind of brushed it off.

As you likely know, that doesn't exactly make the worry go away. My mind still says Pneumonia. I just keep drinking water and taking vitamin c.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TapatalkI completely understand, if it feels brushed off it doesn't make you feel very confident in it, does it?
The nurse was right though, usually pneumonia is characterised by things like brown phlegm, fever, basically all the nurse said. It sounds to me like it might be a chest infection or a nasty cough, personally from your symptoms I didn't instantly think pneumonia, but once it's in your head it is hard not to worry about it.
I think perhaps monitor it for a few days to see how you are, if symptoms worsen or you're really unconvinced by what the nurse has said, try to speak to your GP. You may also find it helpful speaking to a pharmacist, they're able to advise on things like this pretty well, they may be able to reassure you a little.
Of course, I'm not with you so if you're sitting here thinking you need to see a doctor, do see one instead of monitoring it like I suggested, only you can tell! I do feel it'll probably turn out to be something else though [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk