PDA

View Full Version : What to do when doctors tell you to keep an eye on something?

kroppb
04-04-18, 17:57
Hey, I am currently living without any magnificent health worries but a few months ago, some doctors have told me to keep an eye one things, such as lymph nodes, moles and so on and so forth.

How do you cope with that? For me, it is difficult. When a doctor told me to see if a lymph node grew, I kept poking it daily. I actually do it still; Just a bit more infrequently, like every other day. Sometimes it has enlarged probably due to something totally normal but at times, probably due to me prodding it so much.

When it comes to some moles, I have shown a GP some of them, he did not do a full body check. He removed two ones that were benign to his eye (currently waiting for pathologist's call) but just glimpsed on one and told me to keep my eye one it. Again, this made me to check it daily, try my hardest to think if it has grown even one micrometre, poking it with my finger to see if it has raised etc.

This is really exhausting. I just cannot change the way I act. Once I was able to avoid checking my groin lymph node for two weeks, which had been checked by two nurses and one GP, who told me to stay reassured. It was attached to the underlying tissue but so small. That time it went from 1cm to around 0.5cm but yesterday I noticed it's again 1cm and now I have checked it probably 20 times and tried to measure it with my fingers. Sometimes I can estimate it to be 6mm but once I thought it had a diameter of 1.5 cm and that put me in panic and I almost made an appointment at the hospital.

Also my trust in doctors has diminished due to Google; When some doctor says something like "Nodes can be sometimes immobile for reasons unknown and yet be benign." whilst Google says that it is a definite symptom of something sinister. Due to my medical degree granted by professor Google, I do such statements in my head. I think I know things better. :doh:

So, what do you do when doctors or other healthcare professionals tell you to monitor some lump, bump, spot or symptom? How do you make your trust in them better?

Leslie735
04-04-18, 18:02
I struggle with this terribly!!!

unsure_about_this
04-04-18, 18:09
One thing I cannot handle. my trust in gps is not always good.

kroppb
04-04-18, 18:13
I struggle with this terribly!!!

Common thing and kind of the underlying cause of HA, I suppose?

We need to find a way to admit we are not educated enough on these areas...

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

One thing I cannot handle. my trust in gps is not always good.

Seems like a common thing. My work mates do not seem to have HA problems BUT they constantly complain how bad public health care is and how GP must be there just to get the salary and not actually care. This also makes me feel really anxious as I need to listen to this...

Fishmanpa
04-04-18, 18:18
"Keep an eye on it" is doctor talk for "I don't think it's anything to worry about". They'd be foolish not to mention if anything changes for the worse to let them know.

I'm not a sufferer so this doesn't faze me in the least. But of course, to the HA sufferer, I can see how that would incite additional anxiety and self examination. I've seen it thousands of times here.

What to do is get help for the real reason this is an issue for you. Your anxiety!

Positive thoughts

Leslie735
04-04-18, 18:22
Common thing and kind of the underlying cause of HA, I suppose?

We need to find a way to admit we are not educated enough on these areas...

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Seems like a common thing. My work mates do not seem to have HA problems BUT they constantly complain how bad public health care is and how GP must be there just to get the salary and not actually care. This also makes me feel really anxious as I need to listen to this...

I admit, I've gotten better than I use to be about it. Not perfect by any means but I'm learning to trust my doctors more and more. Its just so difficult when we HAers go and google and read stories about doctors missing things or tests missing things. I know we shouldn't be googling in the first place, believe me I know that, but its just not that simple for us. Its a real challenge. One thing I did do for myself that has helped is I made it a New Years resolution, last year, to find a group of doctors I felt I could trust. Not sure if that is something you can do where you are at but here we pay privately with health insurance so we can do that sort of thing. I found myself a new GP, new OBGYN, and a new Dentist. I adore my OBGYN and I love my Dentist but I'm not thrilled with my GP so that is something I plan to work on later this year. But I made a HUGE difference in my anxiety finding doctors I felt comfortable with. Not saying I don't still struggle but because I do, I just know in the back of my head they are the doctor, I am not. Now I need to repeat what I JUST said to myself a thousand times because I'm having to heavily rely on my ENT right now (who I really like and trust) about a lymph node.

kroppb
04-04-18, 18:36
I admit, I've gotten better than I use to be about it. Not perfect by any means but I'm learning to trust my doctors more and more. Its just so difficult when we HAers go and google and read stories about doctors missing things or tests missing things. I know we shouldn't be googling in the first place, believe me I know that, but its just not that simple for us. Its a real challenge. One thing I did do for myself that has helped is I made it a New Years resolution, last year, to find a group of doctors I felt I could trust. Not sure if that is something you can do where you are at but here we pay privately with health insurance so we can do that sort of thing. I found myself a new GP, new OBGYN, and a new Dentist. I adore my OBGYN and I love my Dentist but I'm not thrilled with my GP so that is something I plan to work on later this year. But I made a HUGE difference in my anxiety finding doctors I felt comfortable with. Not saying I don't still struggle but because I do, I just know in the back of my head they are the doctor, I am not. Now I need to repeat what I JUST said to myself a thousand times because I'm having to heavily rely on my ENT right now (who I really like and trust) about a lymph node.

Glad to hear you have found a way to cope.

I cannot really pick the doctor I want to visit unless I pay to see a private doctor, which is extremely expensive here in Scandinavia. When I make an appointment in a hospital I am given a date and time and then then the name of the doctor. Also, when you make an appointment, usually a nurse will make an assessment of your symptoms. They will make a brief exam on you. If you, for instance, had those swollen glands, a nurse checks them and other relevant places and factors and assesses if a doctor's appointment is required. This is why I have not seen many doctors for my nodes. The assessing nurse had told me to "stay reassured", "keep an eye on it" and said that "If I had those in my neck, I wouldn't care and worry. I wouldn't even notice."

This system is good on one hand but on the other, for HAers like me, it triggers anxious thoughts; What if the nurse missed something because they are not as educated on such things as doctors are. Nurses usually check them for flu and cold. Docs have an idea on their mechanisms and such... I know, this is totally accountable for HA but just putting this out. :)

megan91
04-04-18, 18:39
The worst. I go to the doctor to find answers or alleviate my anxiety, this just makes it way worse. Better off not going at all at that point.

kroppb
04-04-18, 18:41
"Keep an eye on it" is doctor talk for "I don't think it's anything to worry about". They'd be foolish not to mention if anything changes for the worse to let them know.

I'm not a sufferer so this doesn't faze me in the least. But of course, to the HA sufferer, I can see how that would incite additional anxiety and self examination. I've seen it thousands of times here.

What to do is get help for the real reason this is an issue for you. Your anxiety!

Positive thoughts

Thank you once again. I appreciate your positive thoughts and really pay tribute to how you are contributing to this community! :D

You have made me feel better so often and reassured me. Also you have pointed out that probably I should seek help for HA. I just need to find the best way. I have no idea how to see a therapist in my area, for instance. I have heard that to see one, I would need a referral from a GP. :huh:

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

The worst. I go to the doctor to find answers or alleviate my anxiety, this just makes it way worse. Better off not going at all at that point.

Yeah, I have also tried to avoid going to the doctor's but sometimes I just end up there. Also, when I go to the hospital, I instantly feel sick because I am surrounded by people who are there for PROPER reasons. Not to mention how the visits just give temporary reassurance... :shrug:

EmmyDay
04-04-18, 20:07
They usually say to keep an eye on it as a blanket term for "This looks fine, but if by any chance it suddenly looks worse, do come back."
But yes, I really do sympathise with you. I myself have a lymph node up at the moment and the amount I'm checking it is becoming obsessive [emoji17] it's very difficult to just wait and see, I've found the best way to do this is to measure things. I'm trying to limit myself to only measuring it every few days, but this way you can effectively monitor it. If it's not changing, there shouldn't be any reason to worry!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kroppb
04-04-18, 20:19
They usually say to keep an eye on it as a blanket term for "This looks fine, but if by any chance it suddenly looks worse, do come back."
But yes, I really do sympathise with you. I myself have a lymph node up at the moment and the amount I'm checking it is becoming obsessive [emoji17] it's very difficult to just wait and see, I've found the best way to do this is to measure things. I'm trying to limit myself to only measuring it every few days, but this way you can effectively monitor it. If it's not changing, there shouldn't be any reason to worry!

It really sucks when it becomes an obsession. For me measuring seems to make it worse. If it grows, it grows quickly. That's what a nurse told me, said that I don't need to consult a doctor and sent me home. :)

In the rare occurrence of a node being something sinister, it wouldn't become much worse in a week or two though. I think checking them every now and then is a good idea. Gosh, I wish I could do that myself! :winks:

Oh and one thing doctors say came to my mind: "Come back when it's large/worse". Of course they don't imply it will ever become bad or anything but the wording can really have a big impact on one who suffers from HA.

"Now I need to constant check and monitor it because the doc said it will at some point become bad and then I need to see them asap!!! Wait? Is it 1mm larger? Did I account for skin thickness?"

EmmyDay
04-04-18, 20:26
It really sucks when it becomes an obsession. For me measuring seems to make it worse. If it grows, it grows quickly. That's what a nurse told me, said that I don't need to consult a doctor and sent me home. :)

In the rare occurrence of a node being something sinister, it wouldn't become much worse in a week or two though. I think checking them every now and then is a good idea. Gosh, I wish I could do that myself! :winks:

Oh and one thing doctors say came to my mind: "Come back when it's large/worse". Of course they don't imply it will ever become bad or anything but the wording can really have a big impact on one who suffers from HA.

"Now I need to constant check and monitor it because the doc said it will at some point become bad and then I need to see them asap!!! Wait? Is it 1mm larger? Did I account for skin thickness?"Ah, different tactics work for everyone I suppose! For me, monitoring it so I know it's either maintaining size or getting smaller makes me feel better, but I can totally see that for others it might turn into something that makes the fear worse.
You're right, the wording really makes a difference. They often say stuff to me and I'm sat there thinking "Wait, what does that mean? Does that mean that I actually SHOULD be worried?!" And I feel worse than before I went. It's a viscous cycle!

Emc
04-04-18, 21:15
Doctors say this so you know you can come back if there is any change. It isn’t because they think there’s a problem. It’s to safety net & protect them as much as the patient.
I think checking things like moles & nodes daily is pointless - only time will tell whether something that looks normal will stay normal or not. Maybe you could have a. Heck day once a week when you’re allowed to measure & examine but otherwise try to ignore it? It won’t make any difference at all if you don’t notice your mole having grown for a couple of days but it might help your anxiety.

kroppb
05-04-18, 11:51
Doctors say this so you know you can come back if there is any change. It isn’t because they think there’s a problem. It’s to safety net & protect them as much as the patient.
I think checking things like moles & nodes daily is pointless - only time will tell whether something that looks normal will stay normal or not. Maybe you could have a. Heck day once a week when you’re allowed to measure & examine but otherwise try to ignore it? It won’t make any difference at all if you don’t notice your mole having grown for a couple of days but it might help your anxiety.

Thanks for the reply.
True that. Now I need to tell my anxiety that. :blush:

Also, due to my age (20) I don't think frequent checks on moles or even nodes are required. My accumulated amount of sun exposure is extremely low because I have preferred to stay inside and up here in Scandinavia we dont get much sun anyway! :yesyes:

When it comes to nodes, it is quite funny how I started to poke them. A doctor actually made me aware of them... I have known about them but never really paid attention to them. Then a doctor pointed out there is a node inside of my cheek and referred me to an US scan. That made me more aware of their existense around my body and thus, I started checking them daily. This has been going on for 6 months now! :scared15:

Hmm. This forum has given me a lot of reassurance but it won't help long term. I will try to avoid poking them and even thinking about them for a month and then see once, really lightly palpating them, check the nodes. If they haven't grown, then they are all fine. What a nurse once told me: "Come back when there is ping pong ball sticking out of your neck."