PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack with chest pains

Nyan-nyan
05-04-18, 13:08
Hi all, I originally posted in the palpitations forum because I panicked from palpitations, but can I have some advice? I can't see to shake this panic attack. I am trying to breathe to the 4-7-8 count but have random pains coming in my chest and back and sides, moving around, so I panic again and renew the cycle.

It has been about an hour, can a panic attack last this long? I feel like I am still hyperventilating even though my heart isn't beating fast anymore. Pain coming into my chest and leaving, back pain coming and leaving, then the chest again. Then I can't breathe normally.

I can't seem to shake the dread that this Is something serious. Help.

jrcoleman
05-04-18, 15:41
Ask yourself a couple of questions. Am I in good health (other than panic disorder)? Have I seen a doctor and gotten a clean bill of health? Have I been straining my back while in panic mode (muscle tension in the back can radiate to the front because the muscles wrap around)? Can I notice tension that maybe I can try to release? Do I have any other symptoms besides the chest and back pain? Is the chest pain deep or feel more on the surface? Answer those questions and see if you can figure out that what you are suffering from is stress on your back and chest causing pain.

PatriUCLA
05-04-18, 20:33
Generally speaking, hyperventilating involves not normal muscles contractions and distentions that's where pain may come from.

Nyan-nyan
05-04-18, 22:16
Thank you for your replies. I didn't realise the same muscles in the chest wrap around so could also hurt from hyperventilating or anxiety.

I managed to calm down and sleep, but I woke up tense and still thinking about it. There is still Pain ere and there but I guess it is muscle tension left from before I slept. I woke up worried about it all over again upon waking though Inslept eight hours.

I am currently going back and forth to a doctor to investigate that everything is ok with my heart. Apart from the pain and the initial palpitations that set off my panic, I didn't have any other dangerous symptoms, no dizziness or nausea. It was pain that moved around.

When it happens, I feel like I have to tell someone immediately in case it is dangerous, but I live alone. I end up pacing the apartment and looking in mirrors to see if my face is turning grey. Really the past seven days is the first time I have ever been this anxious over my body to the point of getting pain from the panic episodes. I had a few issues with hyperventilating but then since last weekend maybe my tension got worse and it comes and goes all day sometimes. I am embarrassed about it even while it is happening.