View Full Version : Augmentin/Amox-Clav not working?

hypochondricat
06-04-18, 15:40
This is gonna be a long thing to explain but basically about two weeks ago I got check for UTI and wasnt given treatment til the weekend past and was given Macrobid which I am now allergic too despite not having reactions to it for a previous UTI. My doctor didnt want to give me other medication and instead wanted me to continue the course and take Benadryl just in case and go to an ER if my allergy got worse. Its stupid really stupid but I didnt want to risk a severe reaction so I called after a day or two after taking one more pill and getting even more itchy rashy and my doctor msgd back that she couldnt provide anymore treatment regarding my UTI but also told me the urine exam found nothing but a small amount of bacteria?

Eventualy I started getting back pain and on and off elevated temperature and nausea. I went to the ER and they did a urine sample and told me I had a bladder infection, I asked about my kidneys and the doctor tapped my back and I had no pain and said what I was going to take would take care of that even if I had one so I was prescribed Augmentin 875 mg. I've taken 3 tablets so far and after the first two I was urinating more frequently while drinking fluids then before when I would have hrs between urinating. However around 24 hrs of usage, I noticed an odor forming whenever I peed - my pee appears yellow but it smelled - I looked up if people have had odor with Augmentin and found reports of it but a call to a nurseline said its not on the side effects listed. Today in the morning when I urinated I had pain in my right abdomen - is it possible the medication isnt working? I'm also constipated and the pain while urinating isnt consistent.

I haven't vomitted or had a fever but I know you can have kidney infection without fever and my back pain has been relatively minimal or just gone. Should I cobtinue the course for a 3rd day? Do hospitals have a number to call for thess concerns if you prescribed something from them?

Emc
06-04-18, 23:08
I would keep going for now. It doesn’t sound like the infection has moved to your kidneys at this stage so just try to drink plenty to make sure your urine is dilute (should help with the colour & smell). If no improvement over the next few days I would contact the GP in the first instance.

hypochondricat
07-04-18, 05:00
I would keep going for now. It doesn’t sound like the infection has moved to your kidneys at this stage so just try to drink plenty to make sure your urine is dilute (should help with the colour & smell). If no improvement over the next few days I would contact the GP in the first instance.

Im just concerened since before I found out it was a bladder uti I was getting congestion that settles but comes back - i mentioned congestion to the ER and I'm worried thats its going on while I have this UTI - it gets runny around evening along qith pleghm and some coughing here and there and some temple pain . I havent had chills, sore throat or fever but I cant help but be scared about how flu like symptoms with a kidney infection if it is in my kidneys means something really dangerous. I know you can have a kidney infection without fever but I dont have any consistent back pain

Idk if its just all sinus related.

Emc
07-04-18, 06:53
I would think the two things are entirely unrelated tbh. Flu like symptoms with kidney infections means fever, muscle aches, headache, nausea rather than congestion etc. Try not to overthink this. X

hypochondricat
07-04-18, 17:42
I would think the two things are entirely unrelated tbh. Flu like symptoms with kidney infections means fever, muscle aches, headache, nausea rather than congestion etc. Try not to overthink this. X
Im trying not too but just now Im starting to get the diarrgea side effect and I know Ive been constipated but I found tiny dark clots after wiping but theres no blood on my stools, theyre a normal color. I'm hobestly worried the infection isnt responding much to the medication. Also the nurseline told me kidney infections dont always present with fever. I also noticed last night blue veins up my fore arm

Emc
07-04-18, 18:53
Veins are always blue - you’re probably just a bit dehydrated. If you don’t have a fever I would doubt you have infection in your kidneys tbh - just lower urinary tract. That’s one of the big signs of pyelonephritis. Even if you did have infection in your kidneys co-amoxiclav is a good antibiotic for most bugs that grow there - it’s the usual step down antibiotic from IVs. As for the stools I can’t think of how bleeding there could come from a kidney infection. An infection in your bowels would also be covered by the co-amoxiclav. Having said all of that if you really aren’t feeling well getting some reassurance wouldn’t hurt.

hypochondricat
08-04-18, 17:07
Veins are always blue - you’re probably just a bit dehydrated. If you don’t have a fever I would doubt you have infection in your kidneys tbh - just lower urinary tract. That’s one of the big signs of pyelonephritis. Even if you did have infection in your kidneys co-amoxiclav is a good antibiotic for most bugs that grow there - it’s the usual step down antibiotic from IVs. As for the stools I can’t think of how bleeding there could come from a kidney infection. An infection in your bowels would also be covered by the co-amoxiclav. Having said all of that if you really aren’t feeling well getting some reassurance wouldn’t hurt.

I get its a good one and by a step down from IV antibiotics, do you mean my infection was that far it may have needed IV treatment? It's not thatI'm not feeling well, its more that my UTI symptoms come and go while I'm taking this course.

Emc
08-04-18, 18:44
No. I mean that usually for a bad kidney infection people will have a couple of days of IV antibiotics & then once they’rE better (to the level you seem to be at now) co-amid is a good oral alternative.