PDA

View Full Version : throat issues- please respond/help?

susie1
06-04-18, 19:34
Please can anyone help.
I started with what I thought was a throat virus 4 weeks ago. came on suddenly with a very sore throat. It lasted 10 days in all. On the 7th and 8th day I more or less lost my voice. Went to the walk in centre on the 9th day -and was told it was viral and it would burn itself out. It all sort of went away although I still had a lot of catarrh and then after 4 days came back again for 3 days. At the weekend I woke up with it yet again. This is now the end of the 4th week. I went to the GP on Thursady - she said my ear drums were dull which indicated a lot of catarrh and suggested steaming which I am doing. My sore throat is showing no signs of going.
Can you have a sore throat for this long without it being something sinister? I am really trying to keep a lid on my HA but this has thrown me again and I am thinking sinus/throat tumour. has anyone else had anything like this?
Any replies would be gratefully received - I can feel myself spiralling

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Anyone? Please?

thejohnny
06-04-18, 20:01
Hi there, is it just a sore throat or have you got other symptoms? I have ongoing problems with my throat and sinuses all of which are purely down to anxiety / panic attacks and yes they can last for weeks.

lmcc87
06-04-18, 20:06
Hi Susie, Don't worry, this time of year there's so many bugs going around and they last so long too. I would guess you started out with a virus and your HA now is telling you it's more sinister. Two and a half weeks I've had a sore throat and it feels like my neck/throat is tight and my throat is all red, my Doctor said I'm fine but that doesn't stop my mind from going into over drive. Don't google it as you know what that does and try and distract yourself. I bet when you get times when your not thinking about it you feel somewhat ok? Even if it is only for a few seconds. It will pass.

susie1
06-04-18, 20:36
Thanks for your replies. It started suddenly and I felt really rough generally for a couple of days. It felt like I had picked up a bug. My ears are constantly blocked and ache - not extreme pain just uncomfortable. The sore throat though is like swallowing glass. The GP said she felt 'nothing sinister' in my neck but my neck hurts and it feels swollen to me. I am feeling very scared as I have already done the Dr Google - even though I knew it was stupid to do so. Throat cancer is swimming round my head and I am beginning to feel complete panic

lior
06-04-18, 20:40
Hey, I live with chronic a sore throat. Whenever I get a virus, it stays bad for quite a while. I've stopped taking so much notice of it. I got used to it. There's nothing more sinister there. I just have a weak immune system and catch viruses a lot. You're comparatively lucky to just have had this for a little while :) and it's probably going to go away very soon.

If it's returning, it might be because you're not fully healing from your virus. Can you do things that make you less stressed? And get a bit more rest?

I know that I'm likely to have a sore throat if I wake up too early. Instant cold symptoms! If you have this annoying symptom for long enough, you'll start to recognise patterns, and know better how to keep it at bay. Everyone has unique bodies - listen to what yours is telling you - what brings on your sore throat?

susie1
06-04-18, 20:43
It started as a flu like virus but just never went away

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Forgot to say at night I hear my pulse really loudly in my ear. It is constant. This scares me too

Fishmanpa
06-04-18, 20:46
Forgot to say at night I hear my pulse really loudly in my ear. It is constant. This scares me too

Everyone can hear their pulse in their ears, just like everyone can see floaters and sense other normal bodily functions if they focus on them. It's a common thing with the self monitoring aspect of anxiety.

Positive thoughts

susie1
07-04-18, 14:35
I posted a couple of days ago. I had a nasty viral cold/ temp/sore throat type thing over 4 weeks ago now. the throat took over 10 days to go away but has come back twice since. My neck feels tender to touch bit my GP says it does not feel anything 'serious'. I have done the stupid thing and googled - persistent sore throat = cancer. I am now spiralling out of control. My ears are blocked too. I am feeling very scared and down. has anyone else been like this?

Elen
07-04-18, 15:09
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

susie1
07-04-18, 16:43
that's fine. I understand that. Can anyone comment? has experienced the same?

Fishmanpa
07-04-18, 16:57
Just curious... A few years ago you took a break (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=165215) from the forum as your therapy taught you that reassurance seeking was detrimental to your recovery. You went over two years without posting and started again in 2017 and it seems like you're spiraled back down the HA rabbit hole :weep:

Whatever you did during those two years must have been working. I don't know if you're still in therapy or taking meds but perhaps it's time for a refresher course?

Positive thoughts

susie1
07-04-18, 17:35
Hi .You're right. I tried really hard and thinking about that time not only put CBT into practice but had others issues to distract me. I am indeed going back down that rabbit hole but as happens when you are there I can now not see beyond throat cancer - the ' I WAS WRONG ALL THE OTHER TIMES BUT THIS ONE iS DIFFERENT'. I will see my GP about having some more CBT. Trouble is that I know the theory inside out - it is applying it that is so difficult. I keep thinking - if I can get myself past this one I'll be ok - but know the reality of the next HA just around the corner. I became a grandma 12 weeks ago and ever since have been spiralling - scared I'm not going too be here to enjoy him. I'm so desperately seeking someone who has experienced the same and it NOT be cancer. It is a very scary place

lmcc87
07-04-18, 18:07
Susie I can hear my pulse in my ear and have done since I can remember and I've just become more aware of it lately. My throat feel awful and further down feels strained and I've difficulty swallowing. My doctor said it's anxiety related. But that's not to say I don't have a virus/sinus problems... I'm just so aware of it. As I type this I've my back bunched up as I'm so anxious. Also my ears are blocked too and my eyesight is awful and I've been told that's another anxiety symptom.. so try and do something that distracts you, if you aren't well enough to go for a walk, try some meditation. Anything that will take your mind away for a bit.

susie1
07-04-18, 18:13
Thankyou for your reply. The pulsing has actually lessened a bit but my throat feels like I'm swallowing glass. \it is worse in the mornings and at night but is scaring me bacause it has been like this for over 4 weeks now

lmcc87
07-04-18, 18:39
Thankyou for your reply. The pulsing has actually lessened a bit but my throat feels like I'm swallowing glass. \it is worse in the mornings and at night but is scaring me bacause it has been like this for over 4 weeks now

It's like when you pick and pick a spot it's never going to clear up. I'm assuming that's what is happening here. My problem is going on near 3 weeks and I've diagnosed myself with everything. If I focus on the fact it's my anxiety playing tricks well then it doesn't spiral out of control.

susie1
07-04-18, 18:55
I know you're right. It's so hard though

Fishmanpa
07-04-18, 20:03
Congrats Grandma! So what are you?.. Grandmom? Mom Mom? Nanna? Names for a grandmother vary and all are endearing. Boy? Girl? Name? My daughter is dating a really great guy and it looks like it's heading for marriage so I hope I'll get the experience of being a Pop Pop in the next few years :)

If you've read my threads, you know I'm a Head and Neck cancer survivor. Trust your doctor. Nothing you posted indicates anything sinister. Remember...

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Get out those CBT worksheets and do some homework ya hear! Don't let this spoil what should be a very happy time. Best to the little one!

Positive thoughts

susie1
07-04-18, 20:13
Thankyou for your kind words. I will sort out the CBT. I will log onto the site you recommended now