PDA

View Full Version : Odd thoughts...

Benjammin69
07-04-18, 09:21
Hi everyone hope you are all thriving and not just surviving.... quick one. I had a relapse in depression and anxiety in January and upped my meds (45mg mirtazapine and 300mg quetiapine) that was back at the start of February.. the issue I have is I still have fear of dark thoughts. I just went on holiday which was an hours drive away and all I could think of was opening the door to the car on the motorway.... I’m currently sitting on a train to work and keep thinking about what if I was underneath it! I’m not suicidal it’s just these thoughts which cause me to panic and worry..... does anyone else struggle? Is this a therapy thing or medication? I’m on top dosage of mirtazapine and don’t want To increase quetiapine so any advice much appreciated

Cheers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EKB
07-04-18, 11:17
There was a fellow on here who had some good words on intrusive thoughts: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189873

Since you are going through a med adjustment it is wise to talk to your doc about it, but in the meantime just accepting them just as odd thoughts and letting them be can help. It’s totally understandable to be worried, but it could also be fear of the fear of something bad happening that’s making these thoughts pop into your mind.

Hope things work out okay!

Benjammin69
07-04-18, 11:19
There was a fellow on here who had some good words on intrusive thoughts: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189873

Since you are going through a med adjustment it is wise to talk to your doc about it, but in the meantime just accepting them just as odd thoughts and letting them be can help. It’s totally understandable to be worried, but it could also be fear of the fear of something bad happening that’s making these thoughts pop into your mind.

Hope things work out okay!

Thanks mate I’ll have a read of that it’s annoying. I know they are not me but they normally set me Up for a relapse which is worrying I think the fear of fear itself is worse x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimetoTurn
07-04-18, 22:45
Hey there, I've suffered with intrusive/troubling thoughts before, I know they are a definate anxiety and depression symptom. One thing I have found helpful is knowing that -if you the thoughts trouble you then you know it's not 'you' - as in, you know it's just your anxious/depressed mind giving you grief.
I think applying that thing of just kind of letting them come and go and labelling them as what they are -just horrible thoughts -fears really -it's trying to break that cycle of fear that is hard. Have you read Clare Weeks books as they talk about that quite a bit.

Really hope you feel better soon, it will pass. (by the way do you know the band Switchfoot? -as they have a song with those exact lyrics 'I want to thrive not just survive' -just reminded me! :) )

MyNameIsTerry
15-04-18, 02:54
Meds can dial these things down, Ben, but ultimately working on changing reactions to these thoughts yields real change.

I'm yet to come across someone with OCD on here who says their intrusive thoughts don't worsen as their overall anxiety increases and that they calm down as their overall anxiety does. Given intrusive thoughts have a differential diagnosis for depression it makes sense worsening depression could do the same in those people. And dark thoughts, harm based thoughts, are certainly part of those disorders.

There is also the potential issue of other neurotransmitters in play such as Glutamine which makes thoughts race and have you bouncing off the walls.

So, this means their are multiple ways to attack this. Work on the reaction and work on reducing the anxiety symptoms. I found in therapy it was only when I addressed my primary disorder, GAD, that the OCD started to shift. Not just intrusive thoughts but all my compulsive activity.

Mindfulness really helped me with the intrusive thoughts.