PDA

View Full Version : Anyone experienced so-called 'leisure sickness'??

dorabella
07-04-18, 19:17
I was wondering whether anyone else on these forums has experienced what some now call "leisure sickness"?

I suffer with anxiety and depression although it's much more under control than it used to be - but still find that when I eventually manage to fit in annual leave from my demanding job, I spend the time just feeling unwell - without being able to put my finger on why. The first day or so is fine, but then I experience what I can only describe as being a tightly strung elastic band that has suddenly gone slack.....

The past week I've had physical aches and pains, fast pulse with a background feeling of anxiety (over what I don't know), increase in fibromyalgic niggles and pains, increased tinnitus and just feeling wound up, unable to relax even though I'm on vacation.

It usually ends up in me actually being glad to get back to work since then my system resumes its normal functioning ... and I'm probably too busy to notice the depression that has built up whilst I'm on leave..

Does anyone else not cope when they are on leave?

TimetoTurn
09-04-18, 20:40
I don't work (stay at home mum) so I can't answer for that, but I do find that when we visit my husband's parents and I get a good chance to relax (meals made, washing done etc!) I often seem to have some problem, as if the symptoms were just waiting for me to relax!
I have read that it is common with anxiety (and no doubt depression too!) Like my first panic attack happened out of the blue when I was apparently relaxed.
It's a pain, I hope you can enjoy some of your break!

Scass
09-04-18, 21:11
I know that it seems every time my hardworking OH used to get leave, he’s be sick. Or at the beginning of the last Easter, Christmas & summer holidays my daughter (and then me) got sick.

But I also know, because I work part-time, that my anxiety rarely bothers me at work, but it does when I’m at home with lots of free time to wallow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk