PDA

View Full Version : Worried about daughter... large tummy?

kirstynic
09-04-18, 13:44
Hi I hope you don’t mind me posting. My daughter is 9, nearly 10. She has a perfect bmi and is not overweight. However she does have a tummy like a pot belly, it reminds me a little of how toddlers tummy’s are only a bit bigger. She has always had a tummy but it seems to have got bigger, I thought at approaching 10 it would have gone. We get plenty of exercise and eat healthy. I am just wondering if anyone experienced similar? I wasn’t too concerned and was going to continue exercise and healthy eating however I googled and read a forum where someone mentioned cancer and this has got me so worried 😢

Emc
09-04-18, 14:26
If she has always had a bit of a tummy I would doubt it’s anything to worry about. If she’s otherwise well it’s highly unlikely to be cancer.

Carys
09-04-18, 14:38
Your daughter isn't unwell ? She is healthy and happy ? She's not complaining of anything untoward? (be careful not to alert her to your concerns and thoughts, as I'm sure you don't want her hyper sensitive about her body shape) Then it'll be her normal child body shape, and I bet you once she reaches puberty and beyond it changes considerably.

kirstynic
09-04-18, 15:08
Thank you for your replies. It just worries me as she isn’t overweight and if she was then that would explain the tummy.

Carys
09-04-18, 15:27
I might be wrong here, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am....but I thought that once hips widened during puberty and the necessary body changes took place....internal organs moved and the stomach changed shape. I know what you are referring to in terms of shape, toddlers and pot bellies, usually they become flatter by school age. It would be very simple to get her checked, a palpate by a GP :D That shows up things even like constipation, so anything hardened about the stomach area would be really obvious. The bottom line is though....she is healthy and well ?

kirstynic
09-04-18, 15:45
She is otherwise healthy no complaints, the tummy doesn’t hurt. We have just moved so waiting to be a registered as a new patient at the doctors.

Carys
09-04-18, 16:02
She is otherwise healthy no complaintsShe isn't 'otherwise healthy', that is written to sound as if her tummy is a health issue - just saying. :blush: She IS healthy by the sound of it. Then really, try not to worry, it sounds like her normal shape.