PDA

View Full Version : Changing Medication to Propranolol ?

Astrid
16-12-04, 14:06
Hello everyone!
I don't know if you have read any of my previous e-mails, but I have now moved to London and settled in a new job. Just went to register with the NHS and tell them about my panic attacks, etc.
I was originally on both Buspar and Xanax, but now the doctor thinks that Xanax is not good for me (although I think it always did the job in stoping the attacks?) and has told me to stop the Xanax, continue with the Buspar and start taking Propranolol?!
Does anyone know what this drug is and if there are any side-effects? I read the side-effects leaflet (oh yes.. just to make sure that I'm not allergic to anything.. typical hypocondriac I am!) and it said that it could lead to one stop breathing???????????????????? I'm stratring to get real worried now and am just looking at the box trying to make up my mind what I need to do and when I should take the pill!

Any comments on this drug, etc?
Hope to hear from you all soon!

Astrid

Cookie
16-12-04, 15:10
Hi Astrid,
Propanalol is a beta blocker. I started taking it a few months ago. I was absolutely terrified of taking it at first, as, like you, I read the side effects! But, a few months on and I'm still here!
The only bad side effect I got with it was extreme tiredness for the first few weeks. I was shattered. Could hardly open my eyes in the morning.

I'm feeling good on them now though. Panics are a lot less, and its helping to keep my racing heart under control.
What dose are you being started on? I take 40mg- 3 times a day. 120mg in total.

vernon
16-12-04, 15:11
Hi, I don’t take this med but know lots on the site who do and haven’t heard any bad feedback from it. I read the leaflet to meds too lol and the things it says could effect u really scary, but if u read any med leaflet they say the same to cover themselves? If we had an infection and was given an antibiotic we would just take it and not worry? But read the leaflet and it says same as any other med. that’s just us anxious people worrying too much and then we imagine we got the side effects of meds that feel so real. Take care Vernon

seh1980
16-12-04, 15:52
hello Astrid,

Propanolol is a beta-blocker. Although it does say that it can cause difficulties with breathing, this is really just true for people who have a history with breathing problems. You have nothing to worry about!!

Sarah :D

razocaine_07
16-12-04, 20:55
hi, i was on inderal which is a beta blocker for two years. The side effects i got were sickness and really bad fatigue in the mornings. It did help me in the worst days but i only took one pill a day everyday. Dont worry, they have about the least side effects out of all the drugs used for anxiety

Karen
16-12-04, 23:27
Hi Astrid

As others have said, Propranolol is a beta-blocker. I took it for a while, for thyroid problems not anxiety, but I didn't have any side effects from it.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
17-12-04, 16:24
Astrid

Asthmatics can't take beta-blockers hence the warning about breathing problems. I took Dothiepin (another beta-blocker) once and ended up in hospital with breathing problems but nothing serious.

If you are not asthmatic then you will be fine.

Nicola

malificent
21-12-04, 21:12
Hi astrid,

Propranolol is a betablocker and it's basic job is to slow your heart rate. (among other things, i'm not a doc!) i take 10mg whenever i go out or i know i'm about to be in a nervous situation, i can take them up to three times a day, obviously prescriptions differ from person to person. I have found it really works great, i wear a heart rate monitor anyway so i can see that my heart rate is so much better when i take them. I would definately recommend them, just remember they can effect different people in different ways.

good luck!
Lucy