PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics not working as they should, getting scared

EmmyDay
11-04-18, 11:09
Nearly a month ago now I found a lump under my arm, I've been back and forth and ended up seeing 4 doctors and a nurse in total who've all said it's a reactive lymph node and they weren't concerned. I had to see so many doctors because of an issue with the antibiotics, originally I was prescribed a low dose one which barely had any impact on the lump so a higher dose one was prescribed, but that one apparently wasn't as good for soft tissue infection so I had to get examined and prescribed a different one. All in all, I've been on two courses of flucloxicilin now, one 250mg (low dose) and one 500mg.

My issue is however that when I was on the antibiotics, it shrunk a lot, to the point you couldn't even really get hold of it or anything, it was probably 1-2mm. Since coming off of the antibiotics about three days ago, it has gotten way more prominent and enlarged. It feels very close to the skin to the point you can feel it without pressing on it (you had to press on it to feel it when it was smaller), and I'd say now it's somewhere between 4-6mm. My partner agreed it had gotten bigger so called the pharmacy and they said it was probably that the infection hadn't gone and I should go back to my GP for different antibiotics (I've booked an appointment), but I'm freaking out. It's basically doubled in size in three days, I'm starting to panic again it may be more sinister [emoji17]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

swajj
11-04-18, 11:16
If it was something sinister the antibiotics would have done nothing. You say that it became much smaller so it responded to antibiotics and that is great. Your GP will sort it out and it may just take a longer course of a different antibiotic. Just keep telling yourself that it responded to antibiotics because that is a very positive sign.

EmmyDay
11-04-18, 11:35
If it was something sinister the antibiotics would have done nothing. You say that it became much smaller so it responded to antibiotics and that is great. Your GP will sort it out and it may just take a longer course of a different antibiotic. Just keep telling yourself that it responded to antibiotics because that is a very positive sign.Thank you for your kind words, yeah I suppose you're right actually. It did respond to the antibiotics and as soon as they stopped it got bigger.
Thank you again [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk