PDA

View Full Version : tick bite-trying to decide whether to visit doctor

Anxiousamyj
11-04-18, 15:07
Hi all,
I suffer from health anxiety, but have been doing well the last 2 months or so thanks to CBT and a change in my behavior. On Sunday night, I was getting into the shower, when a glance in the mirror showed a black dot on my underneath upper left arm. A closer look showed it was a lone star tick and was embedded into my skin. I had my husband pull it out with tweezers and we confirmed that the head was still attached it it, so I think we got it all. Since then, it has been super duper itchy, and had a blister in the middle, which I accidentally scratched off yesterday. Now it's got a little crater in the middle and is slightly swollen and SO itchy. Is this worth a visit to doc? I don't want to overreact, as I do tend to do that, but the itching is driving me crazy. I know these kinds of ticks do not transmit Lyme disease, so I'm not worried about that at all. The tick clearly had a white dot on it and was a lone star tick. Would any of you visit the doc for this, or try to let it run its course?

bulan
11-04-18, 15:24
It's always worth seeing the doc to be on the safe side. If he offers antibiotics, I would take them.

Iwant2bhealthy
11-04-18, 17:14
I agree it's always a good idea to visit the doctor, and them for advice. I'm not sure anymore but if the tick was attached for less than 24 (or maybe 48?) hours it's a good idea to get some antibiotics.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

NervUs
11-04-18, 23:13
Yes, at least speak to the doctor.

My husband got a tick bite over the summer and he was prescribed antibiotics. He did have the ringed rash appear, but you don't really want to play around with lyme or the other tick borne diseases.

I don't know what the protocol is with regard to bite with no rash. But, I'm sure they have an advice line?

Anxiousamyj
11-04-18, 23:33
I went to the doctor, was prescribed an antibiotic as a precaution. She thought I'm just really allergic to ticks, though and it is an allergic reaction. I'm glad I went to I can not start worrying and obsessing over it

bulan
12-04-18, 00:43
I went to the doctor, was prescribed an antibiotic as a precaution. She thought I'm just really allergic to ticks, though and it is an allergic reaction. I'm glad I went to I can not start worrying and obsessing over it
Good news! Taking antibiotics as a precaution is the most worry-free option when dealing with ticks. :)