PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Stress

Bigboyuk
11-04-18, 20:48
Hi Folks can anyone relate? My clock on my pc went wrong think I now know the problem the power usb skt on the device doesn't always make a proper connection and it corrupted some file(s) on my pc so couldn't start the time.windows.com service so couldn't sync my pc clock with that service, called Microsoft was on for 3 hrs :eek: they downloaded new software which took ages to download,install and configure that didn't solve the problem so they refreshed my pc which didn't take as long and has now fixed the problem
in the process (don't know why they did what they did) they deleted Thunderbird email and my 360 total security with out my permission GRRR
they downloaded Thunderbird again and was faffing about with settings so in the end I said leave it please and my ISP took me though it very quickly. So Iam drained and stressed any one else had problems when contacting Micro soft and was it drawn out like my experience? TIA :) ATB

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Bump

Magic
11-04-18, 21:25
BB. I am still on windows 7. If I down load anything my lap top goes weird so I take it back to another date. I have never had to get in touch with Microsoft.
I only have firefox and google chrome on here
I am not technically minded, but I know how stressful it must have been for you.x
Take care BB.

Bigboyuk
11-04-18, 21:54
BB. I am still on windows 7. If I down load anything my lap top goes weird so I take it back to another date. I have never had to get in touch with Microsoft.
I only have firefox and google chrome on here
I am not technically minded, but I know how stressful it must have been for you.x
Take care BB. hi Magic I remember you saying about still being on Windows 7 how come you haven't upgraded to windows 8.1 which is still supported via updates, is windows 7 being supported still? Browser I am using is IE 11 the latest version.and I have also Opera installed too. yes very stressful next time my pc clock is out of sync I will refresh my pc my self I know how to do that at least:yesyes: Thanks for kind words take care too x ATB

Bigboyuk
12-04-18, 12:06
I actually have a new problem not Pc related, and pretty sure of the answer but just need confirmation! After the pc refresh all login details for any site you have signed up for gets deleted and You Tube was one of them for the life of me I couldn't remember my password and yes could have used the lost password option but didn't as I no longer use the email account that I signed up on You Tube, so had to create a new You Tube account and use it via another email address which I still use daily. Went in to my new You Tube account and no history or watch later videos I did think cause my real name was exactly the same any history or watch later videos would be there in my new account which it wasn't. Is it possible to still use my old You Tube account once I have reset my password or is that old account gone now? Not 100% sure but I think it's still there can some one please confirm for me :) ATB

Fishmanpa
12-04-18, 12:55
Don't know if this will help but...

My computer typically gets wonky once a year or so. Slow as molasses, weird stuff happening etc. I have an external drive and save all my pertinent info, photos etc. Concerning passwords, it's wise to create a document with all your passwords as there are so many anymore and they change regularly as a security precaution. I keep that on a thumb drive and off my PC for security reasons.

That being done, I do a complete clean install of Windows and any/all updates. Then reinstall anything I need from the external drive.
Works like a charm.

And BTW... I'm getting a MAC. I'm going to be doing some home recording and they're just better suited for creative purposes. I'll keep my PC and possibly upgrade is it's 5 years old but the MAC will only be used for music.

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
12-04-18, 13:25

My computer typically gets wonky once a year or so. Slow as molasses, weird stuff happening etc. I have an external drive and save all my pertinent info, photos etc. Concerning passwords, it's wise to create a document with all your passwords as there are so many anymore and they change regularly as a security precaution. I keep that on a thumb drive and off my PC for security reasons.

That being done, I do a complete clean install of Windows and any/all updates. Then reinstall anything I need from the external drive.
Works like a charm.

And BTW... I'm getting a MAC. I'm going to be doing some home recording and they're just better suited for creative purposes. I'll keep my PC and possibly upgrade is it's 5 years old but the MAC will only be used for music.

Positive thoughts In my case all photos are on a sd card after Microsoft refreshed my pc it is now faster again there's a lot more involved with a pc as against a Android (OS) Set Top Box which I would never entertain again pretty useless especially for Catch up Tv and on demand tv services as they no longer support flash codecs. I am still learning about Windows but it's far superior OS to Android imho And like I asked some one to confirm wether I can still use my You Tube account once I log out of You Tube pretty sure I can but need confirmation please. :) ATB

Magic
12-04-18, 15:59
Hi BB. I go on Utube without signing in.
I could have upgraded to windows 8 when it was free.
I am frightend of losing stuff. loads of photos and videos on here.
I have more trouble with my mobile phone than my laptop. CRAP.
Been back to 02 shop many times with it. Even the GURU could not work it out.
They reduced my monthly bill to compensate :lac:
Is an sd card, a memory card you save photo's on?
Sorry for being a bit thick. Take care x

Noivous
12-04-18, 16:13

Works like a charm.

Positive thoughts

Hey FMP - Something we finally agree on. I do the same thing...complete factory reset on all devices. Any text messages on my phone I want to keep I take a snapshot of and save it externally. You're right...cleans things right up. Hope all is well with you.

N.

Bigboyuk
12-04-18, 17:33
Hi BB. I go on Utube without signing in.
I could have upgraded to windows 8 when it was free.
I am frightend of losing stuff. loads of photos and videos on here.
I have more trouble with my mobile phone than my laptop. CRAP.
Been back to 02 shop many times with it. Even the GURU could not work it out.
They reduced my monthly bill to compensate :lac:
Is an sd card, a memory card you save photo's on?
Sorry for being a bit thick. Take care x Hi Magic yes you can do that but history and watch later is only available once you have signed in :) Was going to suggest backing your photos up on a sd card I wouldn't trust the cloud storage as I believe its not 100% secure. I think Windows 8.1 is still free if you search on Google (lol) and supported till 2022 so worth looking in to ATB

Hollow
13-04-18, 11:11
I warn anyone against upgrading to Windows 8, it's a very badly designed Operating System just like Vista. Stay on Windows 7 as long as possible because it is solid and probably the best Windows OS of all time. If you do want to upgrade then might as well get 10.

Bigboyuk
13-04-18, 14:16
I warn anyone against upgrading to Windows 8, it's a very badly designed Operating System just like Vista. Stay on Windows 7 as long as possible because it is solid and probably the best Windows OS of all time. If you do want to upgrade then might as well get 10. I had no choice Hollow as it was pre loaded on the device when I bought it, so what now can I do? And have you any links why Windows 8 (8.1) is a badly designed OS?, Really not keen on the monthly (Microsoft)updates many go wrong take last nights update there was 90 to get through so went to bed it still had 4 out 90 to complete this morning,and then just got back in from work and it was only starting to configure those 90 updates? Also my clock was out of sync, but it synced ok after setting the time again. ATB

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Just come out of sleep mode sign in with password at the bottom of the screen it says Windows update in 1 day or force update now. WTF is going on I already updated my pc last night it doesn't seem normal for another Windows update to be available after less than 24 hrs from the last one any one else had this too? Also clock is incorrect again why ?Thanks a lot Microsoft:huh: Also why is FB on my desk top bar at the bottom and how did it end up on my pc in the first place I haven't downloaded it?? ATB

Bigboyuk
13-04-18, 23:42
I had no choice Hollow as it was pre loaded on the device when I bought it, so what now can I do? And have you any links why Windows 8 (8.1) is a badly designed OS?, Really not keen on the monthly (Microsoft)updates many go wrong take last nights update there was 90 to get through so went to bed it still had 4 out 90 to complete this morning,and then just got back in from work and it was only starting to configure those 90 updates? Also my clock was out of sync, but it synced ok after setting the time again. ATB

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Just come out of sleep mode sign in with password at the bottom of the screen it says Windows update in 1 day or force update now. WTF is going on I already updated my pc last night it doesn't seem normal for another Windows update to be available after less than 24 hrs from the last one any one else had this too? Also clock is incorrect again why ?Thanks a lot Microsoft:huh: Also why is FB on my desk top bar at the bottom and how did it end up on my pc in the first place I haven't downloaded it?? ATB so would like the you tube question answered can I still access my previous you tube account once I get a password reset? 2. why another update in less than 24 hrs? And a new problem after 5 mins of static page viewing (on any open tab) my pc will go in to sleep mode It never did this could this have been to do with Microsoft downloading a update while I was on the phone to them and it defaulted some settings some where or actually a new feature in the updates (90 in total)the other night when I allowed my pc to update while I was in bed? It's easy to start up again and pick up from where I left off but seriously it never did that a month ago any ideas folks? TIA :) ATB

Bigboyuk
14-04-18, 13:22
Anyone? ATB

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Bump :) ATB

Bigboyuk
17-04-18, 14:10
Any ideas folks?? My Pc is still going in to sleep mode when no browsing is taking place like I said before it never used to happen. TIA :)Also is there a way of checking previous/new updates and what enhancements/bug fixes are there? ATB

Hollow
30-04-18, 10:20
95% of IT “Engineers” in India Incapable, New Report Reveals

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/info-tech/95-engineers-in-india-unfit-for-software-development-jobs-study/article9652211.ece

According to a study by employability assessment company Aspiring Minds, only 4.77 per cent candidates can write the correct logic for a programme — a minimum requirement for any programming job.

India is being promoted as a "IT Giant" and the headquarters of IT experts but the reality is that Indian programmers are churning out bad quality code. Microsoft had outsourced much of the development of Windows 8 and 10 to Indian programmers. The coding was of such poor quality that American programmers had to basically rewrite the whole thing again to fix it. Indian engineers were responsible for the recent disaster with the IT systems of TSB bank going down. Also, don't forget that when driver-less cars come out in the UK, they will most likely to have been programmed by Indian engineers.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/n1FcR6fTSfQ/hqdefault.jpg

Bigboyuk
01-05-18, 11:23
95% of IT “Engineers” in India Incapable, New Report Reveals

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/info-tech/95-engineers-in-india-unfit-for-software-development-jobs-study/article9652211.ece

According to a study by employability assessment company Aspiring Minds, only 4.77 per cent candidates can write the correct logic for a programme — a minimum requirement for any programming job.

India is being promoted as a "IT Giant" and the headquarters of IT experts but the reality is that Indian programmers are churning out bad quality code. Microsoft had outsourced much of the development of Windows 8 and 10 to Indian programmers. The coding was of such poor quality that American programmers had to basically rewrite the whole thing again to fix it. Indian engineers were responsible for the recent disaster with the IT systems of TSB bank going down. Also, don't forget that when driver-less cars come out in the UK, they will most likely to have been programmed by Indian engineers.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/n1FcR6fTSfQ/hqdefault.jpg Wow thanks Hollow that is interesting :) I guess it's cheaper to use a Indian engineer than a uk trained one? It's this poor quality as you put it that can put big companies at a huge risks not to mention security problems too. As for driverless cars well to me who ever programmes these can have horrendous implications to other road users and pedestrians and not to mention when the car is switched to human mode what happens when people are under the influence of drink and drugs :eek: I for one will never want to drive one ever :) ATB

Bigboyuk
05-05-18, 13:29
Finally got the screen to go of (turn off display) by changing sleep options will the same happen when I select the power button on the start menu, and does turning off display amount to sleep mode? Thx again for all the help as usual :) ATB