PDA

View Full Version : Terror of any medical proceedure

countrygirl
13-04-18, 12:21
I imagine this goes hand in hand with health anxiety. Despite having ha since childhood and now 56 have never got better of it. I am anxious full stop.
I have genuine heart arythmia (svt) not life threatening but can have huge effect on quality of life. I was living with it ok fir 6 yrs when after flu it worsened and both runs of ectopics or racing heartbeat set the svt off and i had 2 hospital stays. The svt causes very very fast heartbeat.
I have been offered ablation to try and burn away the faulty pathway in heart but you are awake whilst they do it as they have to trigger an attack to be able to find the pathway.
I am on a drug that i was hoping would stop the svt attacks but i am still having very short ones as well as lots of ectopics and sudden fast heartbeat episodes. I go back in july and have to have decided by then.
I would love to have the threat of svt attacks removed although i know the ectopics and sinus tacycardia will not be improved but am so rotally terrified of the proceedure and being awake.
Because it is my choice whether i have tge ablation i find it much harder than if i was told i had to have it.
Any help or thoughts please.

Pmrr
13-04-18, 12:48
Hey, I also have SVT and I’m scared to have ablation! I’m on bisoprolol for it. Having said that, I know people who’ve had the ablation and highly recommend it.

countrygirl
13-04-18, 19:17
Wow i have found someone else with it. I cant take betablockers as was bad asthmatic as a child and when i tried i felt very breathless which is a shame as they stopped the tachycardia as well.
Is your drug stopping any svt attacks.
My svt attacks never last long but i can get multiple attacks with tachycardia in between over 6-8 hrs. Like 15 svt attacks lasting about 30 sec to a minute and tachy of 130-140 in between.
The drug i am on verapamil is not working perfectly as i am still getting one few seconds svt attacks daily and still getting tachy episodes of up to 120 bpm every few days lasting up to hour.

Pmrr
13-04-18, 20:19
Hey. I haven’t had any episodes since taking bisoprolol. Mine generally lasted 10 minutes or so at 200+ bpm. I tried to stop them with the valsalva manoeuvre but could never get it to work.

countrygirl
13-04-18, 20:39
I can stop mine with valsalva although can take a few attempts. My problem is the multiole attacks. Higgest i got to was 196bpm .
Great the betablocker is working for you