PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone, new member here

Gofeur
13-04-18, 15:21
Hi, I've joined in hope of getting some help. I'm on the autistic spectrum/aspergers, and it has severely impacted my life. For a few decades, I almost never went outside and never spoke to anyone outside of my family. I'm 37, never had a job, not had any friends since childhood, etc... Over the past few years I've been trying to change things and initially made some progress.

The majority of my problems are from ASD, but I also have pretty strong anxiety and panic attacks too which don't help. I've tried ASD support groups and the like, but they've not worked for me. So I'm trying a different angle, that's why I'm here.

After a few years of effort, I can now go places if they're not too far and I know the area well. I can go further on a good day with preparation. I can talk to people in shops in a "yes, no, thank you" sort of way, but that's where I've hit a wall.

I can't get past these brief interactions. If there's any pressure, I frequently lose the ability to speak, and end up staring at the floor. I often have absolutely no idea how to interact with people. In groups I'm even worse and end up not being able to say or do anything no matter how much I want to.

I need to be able to do more than this, so I can improve my life, become independent, etc. But I have no idea how.

This forum isn't strictly the right one for this sort of problem, but I thought I'd give it a go and hope I got lucky.

venusbluejeans
13-04-18, 15:31
Hiya Gofeur and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

BikerMatt
13-04-18, 15:36
:welcome:

KK77
13-04-18, 16:03
All are welcome here, Gofeur! :welcome:

Anxiety disorders can be co-morbid with other mental health disorders and treating one will in effect be treating the other.

You seem to have made good progress with your Asp/ASD and I hope you find being here useful.