PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine - feel like my personality has gone?

Katiex
15-04-18, 15:58
I started 15mg of Mirtazapine 3 weeks ago. At first it made me feel very very tired and unable to wake up in a morning followed by severe brain fog.

I then had a couple of days of feeling fantastic and then took a nosedive again. Does this mean they need to be increased?

Whats bothering my the most is that I feel like my personality has gone. I feel totally blank. My job involves having alot of creativity and coming up with new product ideas. I'm normally a very creative person. Now I just feel brain dead. Its difficult to write sentences too which makes it hard to communicate with my customers because my once chirpy replies (although very poorly and suffering severe anxiety and depression) has been replaced with robotic, emotionless and dull replies.

I just feel dull. Will this go away? Should I tell my GP to try a different medication or will this pass? They're not even making me feel good anymore and I'm still very anxious.

Mindprison
15-04-18, 16:21
Mirtazapine is a potent antihistamine at low doses, as such the start up effects are often physical and mental sedation. The reason it took a few days for those effects is due to its long half life (between 20-40 hours). It reaches a steady state in 5 days.

Stick with it for now, I had issues with tiredness for about 3 months then it evened out.

Something to note about mirtazapine is that its action changes the higher dose you go.

15mg is sedating and draws more on the antihistamine effects. The higher you go (30mg to a max of 45mg) the more it will feel like an antidepressant. Some find 30 or 45 to be quite stimulating.

It's your decision but I would say you need to give it at least a couple of months to see if it'll work for you. If there's still no improvement, you can see about changing to something else.

Katiex
15-04-18, 18:37
Mirtazapine is a potent antihistamine at low doses, as such the start up effects are often physical and mental sedation. The reason it took a few days for those effects is due to its long half life (between 20-40 hours). It reaches a steady state in 5 days.

Stick with it for now, I had issues with tiredness for about 3 months then it evened out.

Something to note about mirtazapine is that its action changes the higher dose you go.

15mg is sedating and draws more on the antihistamine effects. The higher you go (30mg to a max of 45mg) the more it will feel like an antidepressant. Some find 30 or 45 to be quite stimulating.

It's your decision but I would say you need to give it at least a couple of months to see if it'll work for you. If there's still no improvement, you can see about changing to something else.

Brilliant thank you! Will stick with it :D