PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Post Root Canal Treatment

Girl18
15-04-18, 21:55
Hi everyone. I've been having some anxiety lately after my root canal treatment. I'm supposed to be getting a permanent crown placed soon. I currently have a temporary crown and I was having slight pain biting down on that tooth. I figured it was a minor adjustment issue so my doctor adjusted it, it helped but it wasn't completely gone. He mentioned I may need a root canal. Fast forward and I had a recent root canal done, last Tuesday. Temperature sensitive is gone because the roots were cleaned out but since the root canal, I still have the sharp pain biting down. It was worse the day I got it, and it seems to be getting almost better until I bite down on it wrong again and getting a sharp pain.

My dentist said that inflammation will be present after RTC and that it will go away within a few days. Since the treatment, when I do bite down, I get a slight pain in my temple and in my ear. It almost mimics my sinus issues. Currently pollen is high where I live and I have no doubt that I have allergies. I am just concerned I have a damaged nerve or an infection is spreading to my brain. He never mentioned a sign of infection when he took x-rays before the root canal. I am just worried sick that I suddenly developed one.

Through all this, I have major anxiety. Classic sweaty palms, tingles in hands, hazy state of mind, and upset tummy. :(

WiseMonkey
16-04-18, 00:02
Hi everyone. I've been having some anxiety lately after my root canal treatment. I'm supposed to be getting a permanent crown placed soon. I currently have a temporary crown and I was having slight pain biting down on that tooth. I figured it was a minor adjustment issue so my doctor adjusted it, it helped but it wasn't completely gone. He mentioned I may need a root canal. Fast forward and I had a recent root canal done, last Tuesday. Temperature sensitive is gone because the roots were cleaned out but since the root canal, I still have the sharp pain biting down. It was worse the day I got it, and it seems to be getting almost better until I bite down on it wrong again and getting a sharp pain.

My dentist said that inflammation will be present after RTC and that it will go away within a few days. Since the treatment, when I do bite down, I get a slight pain in my temple and in my ear. It almost mimics my sinus issues. Currently pollen is high where I live and I have no doubt that I have allergies. I am just concerned I have a damaged nerve or an infection is spreading to my brain. He never mentioned a sign of infection when he took x-rays before the root canal. I am just worried sick that I suddenly developed one.

Through all this, I have major anxiety. Classic sweaty palms, tingles in hands, hazy state of mind, and upset tummy. :(

Hi,

I'm going through this at the moment, I have a temporary crown on and the tooth is now playing up, temperature sensitive and aching at night. I'm off to get an X-ray done to see if there is infection, if there is I'm in for a root canal. I'm thinking/hoping it's just nerve sensitivity.

Your dentist should give you antibiotics for a few days before starting the root canal to get rid of any infection but sometimes this doesn't help.

Unfortunately I ended up having an apiscetomy (surgical root canal clean out under general anesthetic) done 15 years ago!

Thank goodness I don't have dental HA. Good luck with it, let us know how you get on :)

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Hi Girl18

I've just been to dentist and got the new ceramic crown fitted (it's 11 am Mon morn here in NZ). He explained that sometimes air gets under the temporary crown and annoys the nerve which can be close to the surface.

The new crown should seal the nerve off completely but it may take a couple of days to settle the bite. He also put some sealant around the gum line as well.

I asked about the possibility of a root canal and he said it definitely wasn't that, which I thought it wasn't.

Maybe this is what's going on with yours.

Lesley.