PDA

View Full Version : When you have a medical condition but get HA from other symptoms that could be relate

jray23
15-04-18, 23:05
Hi everyone,

I am a long time HA struggler, lurked on here a lot. Long story short, I have had vestibular neuritis (dizzy, off balance, nausea, brain "fog", fatigue) for over 2 months (diagnosed by a GP and an ENT) and have been going through rehab for it. I keep getting 'other' symptoms though, that could have explanation related to the VN, could be 'just anxiety', or potentially something unrelated. For example, right now I'm feeling:

- Tingling/pins and needles in my lower left leg for a few days, especially when sitting or standing. It COULD be from the rehab exercises of standing on one foot a lot (and using all the muscles there to try and stay upright!).

- Tingling in left lip corner. It COULD be related to the left inner ear weakness (maybe?) or could be from TMJ (been clenching my teeth a lot for sure with VN and HA!).

- Elbow, wrist and fingers sore. It COULD be from holding my phone a lot since I've been less active now and using it a lot more than usual.

And there are other things that come and go too. You get the idea. I'm not asking for diagnosis as that would be absurd, but what I am asking is what tips anyone might have for not getting anxious over symptoms that could be related to a real thing, but HA makes us think is "no this is separate, you're going to die now/soon because you're not getting treated for the right or different thing!". I'm having trouble chalking these things up to anxiety (although it's highly probable) since it could also be a related symptom (and therefore 'real')

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

nivekc251
16-04-18, 07:06
Stay busy! Get a hobby start working out of u haven't done so. I could sit at home and find all kinds of things wrong with me but I choose not to lol. I use to do just that and I made my life a living he'll. Constantly worrying and googling and paying doctors to tell me I'm ok. You know what your norm is and leave it at that. Try to stay occupied when you're feeling anxious.

bulan
16-04-18, 11:01
I'm in the same boat as you. I have several diagnosed conditions, plus other undiagnosed symptoms that make me worry. Tingling can be caused by numerous things, and one of them could easily be stress. Have you felt more stressed than usual because of the vestibular neuritis? I've learned that stress burns through important minerals, like magnesium, and vitamins, like the B vitamins. If some of these are off balance, they can mess with our nervous system. I've had a lot of tingling in the past all over my face and body, and even inside my mouth. Lately I've had a lot of twitching too. So I've been focusing on stress management, and on nutrition. I drink coconut water to balance my electrolytes, I take vitamin B complex and magnesium malate supplements, and try to eat potassium-rich foods as well. I highly recommend consulting with a Naturopathic doctor with good reviews who's familiar with neurological conditions. Mine has helped me navigate the many options for treating my neurological issues, and has helped me find good quality supplements that I can buy at my local health food store. (Avoid NDs who want you to buy supplements through their office.) I hope this helps, and I wish you well!

jray23
16-04-18, 23:42
Thanks guys. I can't do a lot of exercise at the moment due to the dizziness I get, but even just walking for a little ways provided some temporary help.

I too was having a lot of muscle twitches about 3 weeks ago, and my doctor told me the same thing about magnesium that you mentioned. Then the twitches stopped so I never took any! Maybe I still need it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ellecee
17-04-18, 05:06
I have no advice, but can offer my sympathy. I have daily issues from several autoimmune disorders. I’ve come a long way, and for the most part I stay positive. But, sometimes things change or get worse, and I start to lose the fight with panic.

anom
17-04-18, 06:50
Like my lower left bowel ache which is defo bowel cancer

Then I developed an upper abdomenal ache and bloating to go with it. I think it's gas/ibs/anxiety

But no its obviously my tumour spreading to my liver, or even the headaches.. Cancer spreading? Unlikely it'll just be the stress and fear.

I have some sort of issue down in my bowels but everything else I've developed since can either be a symptom of the cancer spreading (kind of).. Or it can just be stress/anxiety. It's difficult to know which is which but yes it's a bit of a nightmare.