PDA

View Full Version : How to stop checking and googling - terrified...

MaggieTulliver
16-04-18, 10:53
I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder but in the last couple of years or so have been plagued by severe health anxiety too. I'm specifically worried about getting cancer and every new lump or spot sends me into a complete panic to the degree that I experience depersonalisation and panic attacks and find it impossible to concentrate. I can't seem to watch and wait to see if whatever it is goes (which it normally does) and I google obsessively. Usually I'll run to the doctors almost immediately (have been twice in the last week) to hopefully get the reassurance I crave.

The latest is a small sore in my mouth which I think is down to cheek biting (exact position where lower and top teeth meet) but of course I've convinced myself it's oral cancer. I can't get an appointment with the dentist for nearly 2 weeks. I know the best thing to do is limit the checking (I'm doing this every half an hour or so) and definitely stay off Dr Google. I'd really welcome some support in how to do this so the next 2 weeks aren't a living hell. Reading this forum does give me some relief as I know I'm not alone.

pulisa
16-04-18, 13:10
If you resort to Dr Google I can guarantee that you'll immediately diagnose yourself with a terminal case of oral cancer and having this belief running through your brain 24/7 for the next 2 weeks will be unbearable.....and totally unnecessary.

Cheek-biting is really common with anxiety and you're going to give yourself some soreness if you continue doing it subconsciously. (I do it all the time!!) If you try and limit the cheek-biting if you can until your dental appointment you may find that the lesion gets better and disappears by itself?

I hope this helps but if not, PLEASE don't give in and google all those horrible pictures of oral cancers?!!