PDA

View Full Version : Think I have oral cancer

HopeI'mWrong:P
16-04-18, 11:06
Hi, I'm posting because I'm concerned bthat I have oral cancer but (again) I don't know whether my health anxiety is causing me to worry more than I should.

Basically, I've drank more alcohol than I should, most days, for about 10 years. I'm 28 now. I've also had HPV for at least 3 years, but possibly longer.

I've been experiencing an itchy roof of mouth for about 3 months. Now, I have a painless white patch on my tonsil that has been there for 2 weeks. I don't have a sore throat but when I yawn, the back of my throat feels bruised. My jaw has also been clicking on one side recently, again usually when I yawn. I've also been getting wuite a lot of headaches recently, which is new for me.

I've read on the Cancer Research website that incidence rate per year in my age range are 1.7 per 100,000 females, so about 1 in 58,823 (I know how crazy I sound right now!). So those odds are very low. However, the main risk factors for oral cancer include excessive alcohol consumption and HPV.

So, based on this info, am I overreacting or are my worries justified? (Honesty appreciated).

Thank you

MaggieTulliver
16-04-18, 11:22
Dear Hope, I think I've got oral cancer too! (just posted). I've never heard about itchiness having anything to do with cancer or white patches on tonsils but if I were you, I'd get down the dentist/doctor so they can have a look. Clicking jaws can start at any time and are usually due to TMJ.

It really does sound like your HA is contributing to your worries and your risk of anything is incredibly low but no-one here can give you a proper diagnosis so let a clinician reassure you. Good luck, I know how horrible the obsession is....

WiseMonkey
16-04-18, 11:24
Hi, I'm posting because I'm concerned bthat I have oral cancer but (again) I don't know whether my health anxiety is causing me to worry more than I should.

Basically, I've drank more alcohol than I should, most days, for about 10 years. I'm 28 now. I've also had HPV for at least 3 years, but possibly longer.

I've been experiencing an itchy roof of mouth for about 3 months. Now, I have a painless white patch on my tonsil that has been there for 2 weeks. I don't have a sore throat but when I yawn, the back of my throat feels bruised. My jaw has also been clicking on one side recently, again usually when I yawn. I've also been getting wuite a lot of headaches recently, which is new for me.

I've read on the Cancer Research website that incidence rate per year in my age range are 1.7 per 100,000 females, so about 1 in 58,823 (I know how crazy I sound right now!). So those odds are very low. However, the main risk factors for oral cancer include excessive alcohol consumption and HPV.

So, based on this info, am I overreacting or are my worries justified? (Honesty appreciated).

Thank you

Hi,
I doubt you have oral cancer (at your age) or that alcohol has anything to do with your symptoms. The white patches on your tonsils could be an infection or maybe thrush. Either of these conditions need medical treatment so it's best you see your Dr.

The clicking jaw is unrelated, I get this sometimes when I yawn. The headaches sound like they're stress related.

You mention you've had HPV for 3 years, is this in your throat or vaginal/cervical? HPV often clears after a few years but it's good that you're aware of it.

16-04-18, 12:22
Dear Hope, I think I've got oral cancer too! (just posted). I've never heard about itchiness having anything to do with cancer or white patches on tonsils but if I were you, I'd get down the dentist/doctor so they can have a look. Clicking jaws can start at any time and are usually due to TMJ.

It really does sound like your HA is contributing to your worries and your risk of anything is incredibly low but no-one here can give you a proper diagnosis so let a clinician reassure you. Good luck, I know how horrible the obsession is....

Thanks for your reply. I just read your post and I'd say it does sound like it's just from biting. I know how frustrating it is though when you have to wait for your appointment. When you're feeling that worried, it seems like ages! My dentist appointment isn't for 3 weeks :/

Good luck with everything!

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

Hi,
I doubt you have oral cancer (at your age) or that alcohol has anything to do with your symptoms. The white patches on your tonsils could be an infection or maybe thrush. Either of these conditions need medical treatment so it's best you see your Dr.

The clicking jaw is unrelated, I get this sometimes when I yawn. The headaches sound like they're stress related.

You mention you've had HPV for 3 years, is this in your throat or vaginal/cervical? HPV often clears after a few years but it's good that you're aware of it.

Thanks for your reply. You're right, it is very unlikely.

I found out I had HPV last year when I had a cervical smear test. I was then tested again 8 months later and it stil hadn't cleared. However, the first smear I had done (4 years ago) was negative for HPV and I've only been with one person since, who I met 3 years ago. I'm not sure whether that means I only have it in my cervix, but I thought, as it's a virus, it's probably just in my body as a whole (but that might be rubbish)

Fishmanpa
16-04-18, 12:41
I'm an OC survivor. You can put it out of your head I assure you.

Positive thoughts

16-04-18, 13:03
I'm an OC survivor. You can put it out of your head I assure you.

Positive thoughts

Thank you. Hope you're doing well!