PDA

View Full Version : Ingested mosquito! Can you get viruses??

Samy
17-04-18, 05:44
Hi, today i was sitting in my room when i saw a mosquito on my desk so i killed it with some plastic thingy, didn't think much about it until i accidentally laid my vape on the desk exactly where i killed the mosquito.

Now im absolutely panicking that maybe the mouth piece touched some left over blood/squishy stuff from the mosquito and the mosquito had previously bitten some animal with rabies and somehow gotten that animals saliva in its guts by biting that rabid animal on the mouth ( i know i sound crazy) or other virus and...now i swallowed that blood etc maybe too :/ i have no idea if you can get infected this way! i don't want too google again because boy was that a mistake, please if any advice / knowledge let me know! because im having a really hard time dealing with these thoughts

calmmedown
17-04-18, 07:17
I think you have more chance of winning the lottery! Seriously, what you have described is such an unlikely scenario that you really don’t have to be concerned.

Samy
17-04-18, 07:32
I was wondering if its actually possible though. or if it has happened :/

calmmedown
17-04-18, 08:49
Mosquitos cannot transmit rabies to humans - I just checked. Please be reassured.

Annaboodle
17-04-18, 09:04
I have more chance of becoming Mrs Ryan Gosling than this. It just can't happen.

Carys
17-04-18, 09:14
Your stomach acid will very quickly kill anything that 'might' have been in the squished mosquito, bacteria or viruses. However, the chances of a part of a vape coming in contact with a tiny bit of tiny weeny dead mosquito and then (without drying out) going into your mouth is almost at the point of impossible. It may interest you to know that we all eat 'bugs' during our lives, without knowing. I'm not talking the urban myth here, of spiders you eat in your sleep, but tiny little flies and bugs that get in or on food. You may have put squished mosquito in or near your mouth before, but this time you are certain and think you KNOW you have, this is what is causing the anxiety.

Bigboyuk
17-04-18, 09:50
This is clear to me that the problem lies with your HA you need to tackle this so you can recover mate :) ATB

Samy
17-04-18, 10:20
I absolutely appreciate all of you guys for giving me your input, im trying my hardest to ignore my fears,
But whats bugging me the most is that i keep thinking that this mosquito somehow did ingest saliva and/or blood infected with rabies.

Now i forgot to mention i had a really bad sore throat that just started healing now! and i remember spitting up blood a couple of times, which mean i must have small cuts in my throat...that is making me freak out even more if anything from the mosquito came into contact with the cuts in the throat or whatever irritation caused me to cough up bloody mucus, sorry for the tmi.
But yeah.. im afraid i basically either swallowed blood/saliva from a rabid animal or whatever the mosquito digested or had in it system, and now with the cuts or irritation in my throat.. im afraid of contracting the disease...ugh i hate having HA, i haven't even started seeing a therapist yet due to the ridiculous charge rate here in the US...very soon hopefully though :/

Carys
17-04-18, 10:33
I know it's illogical isn't it, and once something gets in your head...

Right I've done googling on your behalf, as I have no fear of rabies at all. Rabies doesn't transmit via mosquitos. I've read a couple of long articles that describe the process how and why rabies doesn't live in mosquitos, which are too long to replicate here - but essentially the disease has evolved to practically always only transmit through animal saliva and bites. I've read a few things, and NO, there is no risk at all. NOne. HIV doesn't and can't transmit this way either.

Bigboyuk
17-04-18, 10:43
I absolutely appreciate all of you guys for giving me your input, im trying my hardest to ignore my fears,
But whats bugging me the most is that i keep thinking that this mosquito somehow did ingest saliva and/or blood infected with rabies.

Now i forgot to mention i had a really bad sore throat that just started healing now! and i remember spitting up blood a couple of times, which mean i must have small cuts in my throat...that is making me freak out even more if anything from the mosquito came into contact with the cuts in the throat or whatever irritation caused me to cough up bloody mucus, sorry for the tmi.
But yeah.. im afraid i basically either swallowed blood/saliva from a rabid animal or whatever the mosquito digested or had in it system, and now with the cuts or irritation in my throat.. im afraid of contracting the disease...ugh i hate having HA, i haven't even started seeing a therapist yet due to the ridiculous charge rate here in the US...very soon hopefully though :/ Samy No,no absolutely no chance of that happening, so that's my reassurance done, not being mean or harsh but by continually seeking reassurance and getting it will only keep the cycle going and you don't want that ;) Have you got your name on the list for a therapist? Please follow it up A.S.A.P and let us know how you get on :) ATB

Carys
17-04-18, 10:45
I think we need to give him a bit of a break Bigboy, he is trying to rationalise, and is a new member who hasn't asked much here at all. I think he realises this is HA, and the need for some help with it with some counselling, in the meantime we can teach and help with learning about how to reassure yourself (rather than ask for it). :)

Forgive me for saying it, I mean this respectfully, but I do think that a standard response of 'get therapy' isn't constructive for everyone, all the time. That will be done on an individual choice basis, as and when someone gets to the point of wanting it/being able to have it.

Bigboyuk
17-04-18, 10:53
[QUOTE=Carys;1785383]I think we need to give him a bit of a break Bigboy, he is trying to rationalise, and is a new member who hasn't asked much here at all. I think he realises this is HA, and the need for some help with it with some counselling, in the meantime we can teach and help with learning about how to reassure yourself (rather than ask for it). :)[/QUOTE I understand that Carys I am certainly not giving him a hard time but the reassurance thing wont help him we know that :) Yes that's great idea by giving him the tools of the trade to help him through this Thx Carys ATB

Carys
17-04-18, 10:58
Here is the link to a really good article Samy, its from our UK NHS but still it all applies to your situation. The second half focuses on 'coping with your HA'.

http://www.cpft.nhs.uk/Downloads/DVD-Documents/Leaflets/Coping%20with%20health%20anxiety2%20final.pdf

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

BB....but sometimes you need to give reassurance to show people how to do it themselves. An added bonus of adding some reassurance is that the person can look back and read the thread when they fear the same thing, and this can teach them to repeat the same ideas back to themselves. I agree that it reaches a point where reassurance becomes spiralling and counterproductive, if it continues. Many people can and do deal with their HA without the need for psychological professional intervention, with self-help articles, books, advice and so on...

Please don't take this as a personal insult to you BB, you are so giving and caring towards people and I know you want everyone to be free of this horrible problem. I was just kinda mentioning a different perspective.

Bigboyuk
17-04-18, 11:05
Here is the link to a really good article Samy, its from our UK NHS but still it all applies to your situation. The second half focuses on 'coping with your HA'.

http://www.cpft.nhs.uk/Downloads/DVD-Documents/Leaflets/Coping%20with%20health%20anxiety2%20final.pdf

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

....but sometimes you need to give reassurance to show people how to do it themselves. An added bonus of adding some reassurance is that the person can look back and read the thread when they fear the same thing, and this can teach them to repeat the same ideas back to themselves. I agree that it reaches a point where reassurance becomes spiralling and counterproductive, if it continues. Many people can and do deal with their HA without the need for psychological professional intervention, with self-help articles, books, advice and so on...Absolutely Carys Iam not against giving some reassurance, like you say there has to be a 'cut off point though being proactive about ones MH condition is important!! ATB

Carys
17-04-18, 11:07
Absolutely, agreed, but sometimes proactive isn't about professional therapy. Sometimes that isn't possible, or the person isn't ready to admit they need it, or the person hasn't yet reached the point where it affects them enough to care, or they can't afford it, or or or......

Anyway, I've started a debate on Samy's thread. Sorry Samy. :D

Bigboyuk
17-04-18, 11:30
It's like thinking you can get an STD from sitting on a public toilet seat - it's unlikely to happen. I've had that worry in the very distant past though, lol. It's exactly like that always the worse case scenario and yes very, very unlikely to happen
:) ATB

Fishmanpa
17-04-18, 12:09
In your previous thread (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=215546) about your rabies fear, you said you were starting to see a therapist. Now you're saying it hasn't happened? What gives?

Positive thoughts

Samy
17-04-18, 17:22
Thank you all again for your input and dealing with my crazyness .
Bigboy and Cary’s I appreciate you guys taking extra time to reply and reassure me.
No worries about the whole therapist thing, it’s something I even know myself I need to start getting on before this gets worse and worse.
And the crappy thing is this whole Rabies fear just started to pass :/ sigh

I’m gonna take your guys advice and just try to simply ignore these irrational fears as well as read up on that link.

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 ----------

In your previous thread (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=215546) about your rabies fear, you said you were starting to see a therapist. Now you're saying it hasn't happened? What gives?

Positive thoughts

I did for one session which was mostly just the Dr evaluating me.
It ended up being way too costly for me at the moment so I’m trying a a different route

Fishmanpa
17-04-18, 17:23
I did for one session which was mostly just the Dr evaluating me. It ended up being way too costly for me at the moment so I’m trying a a different route

What specifically is that route?

Positive thoughts

Carys
17-04-18, 17:27
I’m gonna take your guys advice and just try to simply ignore these irrational fears as well as read up on that link.

I think you need to more than ignore them Samy, I think you really need to work on building the skills of self-reassurance. That isn't easy, but if you read up about HA, or get some other materials to help, that would be a good start (as therapy is too costly for you right now).