PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever ‘waiting’ for symptoms to happen?

RadioGaGa
17-04-18, 10:35
Hi everyone

Well after a few months of believing my HA was in check, since last week with the toe weakness thing it’s safe to say it’s back. I spent all weekend wiggling my toes and at times noticed I definitely found it harder to wiggle on the right foot. But strength tests showed no weakness and my boyfriend said he found it more difficult to wiggle the toes on his right foot too.

I find I’m now ‘waiting’ for symptoms to happen. I knew a guy who was Dx with a brain tumour (and died of it) at age 25. I’ve also read of other people at 25 being struck down. I turn 25 this year and I’m now worried I too will get one at 25. How ridiculous does that sound?

I know I probably should take the Sertraline but I’m just worried it I will turn me into a zombie :/

KK77
17-04-18, 11:02
Sertraline won't turn you into a "zombie", but I'm not sure living with untreated HA is any better even if it did.

What dose have you been prescribed? You could take half to begin with if you're that anxious about it. Thinking you're going to die at 25 must be impacting your life - and your fears will only multiply exacerbating physical symptoms.

Mindprison
17-04-18, 12:35
Can confirm that antidepressants won't be as bad as you think, they never are. You're more likely to get worse symptoms from fearing the medication than you are actual side effects.

And as KK says, even if it DID make you a zombie, i'm pretty sure i'd prefer that short term side effect than crippling anxiety every day

Fishmanpa
17-04-18, 12:48
I took Zoloft for some depression after my 1st heart attack in conjunction with therapy. I was on 100mg. Other than a dodgy tummy now and again, I didn't have any issues. In fact, I really didn't feel any different. That being said, other's around me noticed a difference in that I was more of myself after a month or so.

I know it helped in that I realized it helped lift that depression fog of gloom off my shoulders and allowed me to focus on the therapy. It was the crutch I needed to help get me back on my feet.

If you have a physical illness or medical condition that requires medication, you take the medication to help heal from the illness or treat the condition. The same applies for a mental illness or condition. I take meds for my physical conditions. The consequence of not taking them would be grim. If this med you've been prescribed will help you live a more normal life, what's really stopping you? As KK said, living with such a horrible constant fear is not really living is it?

Positive thoughts