PDA

View Full Version : Update

Hypo27
17-04-18, 17:02
Hey everyone been awhile since I tuned in. I'm still having issues swallowing mainly food. Certain foods wanna catch like popcorn, bread, and chips. I'm worried this more neurological related because I'm also short of breath a lot too. I'm worried its als or myasthenia causing weakness in my swallowing and breathing muscles...

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

What scares me the most is my breathing. I get out of breath doing the smallest things. It takes me forever to catch my breath like I just did 20 push ups and it took like 5 minutes to fully catch my breath.. I also get these short of breath attacks at rest that make me feel smothered. I'm worried its my breathing muscles causing this because I've had a full cardiac and pulmonary workup that showed nothing. Ive also dealt with body wide muscle twitching for like 3 years which puts als on my list for possibilities...

MyNameIsTerry
17-04-18, 17:18
Having had asthma since childhood I can tell you that I've experienced what you describe with breathing many times. I'm not suggesting you have asthma but what I am saying is that if you have something that impacts on your breathing it can be natural to worry as it's so important and that you soon realise that such an impairment shows more easily when you exercise.

With that in mind as an anxiety sufferer, with muscular tension issues, I can tell you that this has affected my breathing greatly over the last approx 5 years. Just going up stairs had me worn out. Walking uphill felt like I needed to sit down.

Anxiety & depression do this. It's well known. The impact on sleep and the strain on the body causes you to struggle more physically and unless you keep fit, you will notice it more.

Now over the past few weeks I've raised my breathing issues with my asthma clinic nurse because I'm sure my Preventer inhaler is doing nothing for me as I feel no different whether I take them or go months without them (which I have tried as a test). So they have done the usual asthma diagnostic testing and found my peak flow is fine for my age and the clinical pharmacist believes my asthma has gone (it can come back, I've has it over 30 years).

I still have issues with breathing but I now know that whatever is causing them falls into age, fitness (lack of) and anxiety (causing physical issues like tight muscles, back pain, etc).

So anxiety alone can easily be causing your issues.

Carys
17-04-18, 17:20
Hiyer Hypo27,

I was only earlier looking at your threads about oesophagal cancer and brain tumour (from last month and the month before), and thinking that you must be doing ok as hadn't been back to update them. Not trying to be rude, but any chance you could update those threads - as I am interested what the outcome was from your tests and checks?

this because I've had a full cardiac and pulmonary workup that showed nothing
It showed nothing. Nothing. Anxiety and even thinking about your breathing makes your breathing shallow, the more you think about it the more you will experience it.

Ive also dealt with body wide muscle twitching for like 3 years which puts als on my list for possibilities... Snap (and others here too). However, I know mine is from stress and tension, and not ALS (MND for the Uk viewers).

Surely you can see that you are moving on from the brain tumour and the OC, to new territory - ALS and whatever the 'M' word was. Incidentally, the fact you are quoting medical terms shows that you are googling away in your spare time. :winks: Am i right ?

Fishmanpa
17-04-18, 17:21
Respectfully, you were sure you had cancer. You don't. You do have an illness, it's just not physical. Your pattern of switching to a new deadly illness is a blatantly obvious and hallmark symptom of HA and you really don't want to get sucked down the ASL rabbit hole :lac:

Until you address your real illness or at least admit that's what's causing your symptoms, the cycle will continue.

Positive thoughts

melfish
17-04-18, 17:26
Respiratory onset is the rarest form of ALS. You can't have respiratory onset AND bulbar onset at the same time, it's not possible

Carys
17-04-18, 17:29
Melfish knows her ALS ! :winks: Really, listen, shes done her research.

Kingdawson
17-04-18, 17:38
Hey everyone been awhile since I tuned in. I'm still having issues swallowing mainly food. Certain foods wanna catch like popcorn, bread, and chips. I'm worried this more neurological related because I'm also short of breath a lot too. I'm worried its als or myasthenia causing weakness in my swallowing and breathing muscles...

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

What scares me the most is my breathing. I get out of breath doing the smallest things. It takes me forever to catch my breath like I just did 20 push ups and it took like 5 minutes to fully catch my breath.. I also get these short of breath attacks at rest that make me feel smothered. I'm worried its my breathing muscles causing this because I've had a full cardiac and pulmonary workup that showed nothing. Ive also dealt with body wide muscle twitching for like 3 years which puts als on my list for possibilities...

Body wide twitching for 3 YEARS puts AlS on your list of possibilities? 3 years?

Have you done anything to reduce anxiety?

Hypo27
17-04-18, 18:16
Respiratory onset is the rarest form of ALS. You can't have respiratory onset AND bulbar onset at the same time, it's not possible

I worry more about the respiratory onset because the first symptom was shortness of breath then the swallowing has followed.

melfish
17-04-18, 20:51
Now that your posts are merged, I can see you have in the past worried about yet another onset, limb. ALS doesn't jump around like that. You are trying to shoehorn unrelated, nonspecific body-wide symptoms into a diagnosis. If you had respiratory onset, you'd be experiencing more than shortness of breath. You'd be on a ventilator.

Fishmanpa
17-04-18, 23:58
Melfish knows her ALS ! :winks: Really, listen, shes done her research.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing! :whistles: :D

But it's true... Mel knows! And if she's saying no way... it's No Way!

Positive thoughts

swajj
18-04-18, 01:12
The thread title is “update” so where’s the update?

BazB44
18-04-18, 01:24
oh ya, tell me about it. 2 weeks ago I had a few seconds where I couldn't swallow, made me panic. Felt fine for 2 weeks. Just today again had a few second episode where I couldn't swallow. Now I can. But I remember having this sort of issue as a kid, I just never panicked much over it because at the time I knew nothing about "certain" diseases. Now I do, thus why its made me fearful.

Such an usual thing, huh? like it literally feels like your throat muscles arent working for a few seconds. then I get the shortness of breathe feeling, tight throat feeling.

AMomentofClarity
18-04-18, 01:50
What’s the update, that you were cleared of 2 fears so you’ve moved on to another?

Shocking.

melfish
18-04-18, 03:40
I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing! :whistles: :D

But it's true... Mel knows! And if she's saying no way... it's No Way!

Positive thoughts

My ophthalmologist asked me yesterday what kind of medical professional I am. :shades: And no, she was not being sarcastic
:roflmao:

Carys
18-04-18, 10:20
My ophthalmologist asked me yesterday what kind of medical professional I am. :shades: And no, she was not being sarcastic

...and how did you answer Melfish? I'm interested. :roflmao:

Kingdawson
18-04-18, 10:39
I notice a lot of posters on here ignore posts when they're questioned about the steps they are taking for their anxiety.

Chris1985
18-04-18, 11:10
I notice a lot of posters on here ignore posts when they're questioned about the steps they are taking for their anxiety.

Which is strange considering they are on an anxiety forum, so must realise that they do have anxiety problems...

Hypo27
18-04-18, 14:15

I actually see a therapist at the same practice I see my pcp. Every time I have an appointment with my docor I get to see the therapist too.

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

One thing ive noticed is my shortness of breath gets really bad the next day after drinking alcohol. Its like it weakens my respiratory muscles even more...

Fishmanpa
18-04-18, 14:40
One thing ive noticed is my shortness of breath gets really bad the next day after drinking alcohol. Its like it weakens my respiratory muscles even more...

You've had an issue with this before. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=195024) Perhaps reducing your alcohol intake or abstaining is in order :whistles:

Positive thoughts

Hypo27
18-04-18, 14:43
You've had an issue with this before. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=195024) Perhaps reducing your alcohol intake or abstaining is in order :whistles:

Positive thoughts

Is it possible the alcohol is weakening my breathing muscles? Also my hands feel real disconnected too..

Fishmanpa
18-04-18, 14:48
Is it possible the alcohol is weakening my breathing muscles? Also my hands feel real disconnected too..

No, but the physical side affects of drinking are really messing with your head and ramping up your anxiety.

FMP

Carys
18-04-18, 15:11
What he said ^

melfish
18-04-18, 17:13
...and how did you answer Melfish? I'm interested. :roflmao:

I said, no, I'm just a hypochondriac :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

(In her defence, I had just asked her to check my irises for Kayser-Fleischer rings as my ceruloplasmin test came back low and I was worried about late-onset Wilson's disease ...)

MyNameIsTerry
18-04-18, 17:21
I said, no, I'm just a hypochondriac :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

(In her defence, I had just asked her to check my irises for Kayser-Fleischer rings as my ceruloplasmin test came back low and I was worried about late-onset Wilson's disease ...)

I'm imagining her embarrassment at having to pick up a reference book to understand your request :biggrin:

Annaboodle
18-04-18, 17:57

If you're the kind of person it affects badly (it doesn't work like this with everybody) then alcohol - even a couple of drinks - can ramp your anxiety up to ridiculous levels the next day. The after-effects can feel like a low level all day panic attack. I'd suggest that is what's happening here. The "my hands feel real disconnected" thing you are describing is part of that.

melfish
18-04-18, 18:12
If you're the kind of person it affects badly (it doesn't work like this with everybody) then alcohol - even a couple of drinks - can ramp your anxiety up to ridiculous levels the next day. The after-effects can feel like a low level all day panic attack. I'd suggest that is what's happening here. The "my hands feel real disconnected" thing you are describing is part of that.

That's how it effects me. Not worth it. Guaranteed low-level panic attack for the entire next day

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

I'm imagining her embarrassment at having to pick up a reference book to understand your request :biggrin:

She knew straightaway what I was talking about. Her poor MA who saw me beforehand, though, was like, how do you spell this? and how do you spell that? lol

Hypo27
18-04-18, 18:48
It’s really bad today I feel like I’m suffocating and my breathing feels like its Completely manual. My breathing muscles feel really fatigued like that tired feeling you get in other muscles like lactic acid..

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

I’m really concerned that it’s my respiratory muscles being weak :(

Hypo27
18-04-18, 20:13
It’s not the alcohol though because I have when I don’t drink too

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

I guess I need to get an emg done since it’s the golden standard for this type of stuff..

WiseMonkey
18-04-18, 22:35
Hypo27[/COLOR]
I guess I need to get an emg done since it’s the golden standard for this type of stuff..[/QUOTE]

Yes, excellent idea, make sure you get it done, then hopefully you can put this aside and get on with your therapy and living your life.

melfish
18-04-18, 23:46
I disagree. The OP does not need an EMG. And no self-respecting neurologist would send someone for one without signs of clinical weakness or abnormal reflexes. This is just feeding the dragon. (And when it comes back clean, it will have been done too early, or in the wrong place, or the person performing it won't have been paying close enough attention and on and on, because that's how HA works ...)

KK77
18-04-18, 23:51
I disagree. The OP does not need an EMG. And no self-respecting neurologist would send someone for one without signs of clinical weakness or abnormal reflexes. This is just feeding the dragon. (And when it comes back clean, it will have been done too early, or in the wrong place, or the person performing it won't have been paying close enough attention and on and on, because that's how HA works ...)

Our chief NMP diagnostician has spoken :D

AMomentofClarity
18-04-18, 23:57

Or he’ll move onto a completely new illness. His post history suggests this wouldn’t be the first time.

BazB44
19-04-18, 00:18
id caution on abnormal reflexes by the way. Several anxious people and BFS people have them, and are just fine. Actually a long time ago I had asymmetrical reflexes, one knee kicked far the other not so much (this was right after a panic attack in docs office). Doc laughed and said it was just anxiety.

melfish
19-04-18, 00:25
I didn't say it was necessarily pathological to have abnormal reflexes, just that a neuro is not going to refer a case of twitching without other symptoms. The main two are clinical weakness and hyperreflexia

---------- Post added at 16:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

Actually, I correct that. In the US, it seems people are often referred for needless testing smdh

BazB44
19-04-18, 00:31
we don't have universal healthcare in the US, so everything is for profit. People are without a doubt given unnecessary referrals. I was referred once for an ultrasound for a pelvic hernia. Once I got to the office, even the radiologist looked at me and said "no way, you wouldn't be able to walk right if you had a pelvic hernia....and you ran in here". I was so bummed out, almost wasted 800 bucks.

Hypo27
19-04-18, 01:24
Couldn’t the shortness of breath be classified as clinical weakness if my respiratory muscles were weak?

---------- Post added at 00:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:22 ----------

Also Myasthenia Gravis causes the fatigue in the breathing muscles couldn’t that be a possibility too? I do have muscle fatigue really bad when doing things.

melfish
19-04-18, 02:09
Feeling tired isn't the same as clinical weakness. You don't *feel* clinical weakness, you just can't do something you used to be able to do. It's not a sensation, it's an inability

MyNameIsTerry
19-04-18, 03:11
we don't have universal healthcare in the US, so everything is for profit. People are without a doubt given unnecessary referrals. I was referred once for an ultrasound for a pelvic hernia. Once I got to the office, even the radiologist looked at me and said "no way, you wouldn't be able to walk right if you had a pelvic hernia....and you ran in here". I was so bummed out, almost wasted 800 bucks.

The radiologist had ethics, the one referring you for the test clearly didn't...

Over here no way would someone get an expensive test like a MRI without something pointing towards needing one. Too expensive and too many people already needing them for legitimate reasons.

I bet our private sector is just as bad as your though.

---------- Post added at 03:11 ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 ----------

Feeling tired isn't the same as clinical weakness. You don't *feel* clinical weakness, you just can't do something you used to be able to do. It's not a sensation, it's an inability

Yep, and...as we all know fatigue and mental health issues go together.

Same with breathing issues. With my asthma there was a difference between struggling to breathe and having trouble with normal breathing in anxiety. One needed medicating, for instance.

I agree with you over the test. All that will do is help towards a new Porsche for someone :winks:

Hypo, you need to spend less time reading about lung disorders and more time reading about the impact of anxiety disorders on breathing. There are tons of threads on here by people with breathing problems due to anxiety. When fatigue hits, breathing feels harder to keep doing.

AntsyVee
19-04-18, 03:59
OMFG. The OP obsessed about ALS for years on another site. He was actually banned from the ALS boards. Last we heard, on that other site, he had an appointment with the Mayo clinic for it.

B, what happened with that Mayo clinic appointment? You told me you learned from that ALS bullcrap, but have you really learned anything? How many more years of your life are you going to waste this time?

melfish
19-04-18, 04:02
OMFG. The OP obsessed about ALS for years on another site. He was actually banned from the ALS boards. Last we heard, on that other site, he had an appointment with the Mayo clinic for it.

B, what happened with that Mayo clinic appointment? You told me you learned from that ALS bullcrap, but have you really learned anything? How many more years of your life are you going to waste this time?

NO WORDS

Carys
19-04-18, 05:28
I told you about this via a PM Hypo (when you contacted me to give an update on your other two threads - Brain MRI you had recently showed no problem and the swallowing/stomach issues were now improved). I said about how you can feel weak and breathless by focusing on the breathing process. You then take shallow breathes, once scared of your breathlessness, which makes you feel more fatigued and as if the body isn't working properly. I explained about how breathing can become 'manual' feeling, when you become overly mentally sensitised to a usually automatic function of the body. Anyway........you still think you have ALS.

You are wasting your life - illness, after illness after illness.

One day in the future, probably when you are old, you will be right about having something serious. You will probably have something that needs treating (we all do eventually, as nobody gets out of living alive). However, you will have wasted your whole life fearing things that weren't there. What a way to live.

I honestly can't believe that doctors keep giving you test after test for any manner of serious health condition. I don't get how this can happen? As has been said above, on our NHS there is no way there would testing done like this for absolutely no medical reason. It seems like your chronic HA is being enabled, and that just seems so wrong. Why are you not receiving intensive and serious mental health assistance?

Hypo27
19-04-18, 16:33
The past two days I’ve been having off and on stomach pains. It’s mostly in the center of my stomach radiating into my back. It’s brief sharp pains they don’t last very long. What do you all think this could be? I’m contemplating going to the Er to make sure it isn’t something serious but idk. I have been really lightheaded off and and on to but don’t know if it’s related.

AMomentofClarity
19-04-18, 16:43
How’s the ALS doing today? Or are you already on to the next thing?

Hypo27
19-04-18, 16:51
Well this is something that came out of nowhere.

AMomentofClarity
19-04-18, 17:08
It always does, right? As soon as one HA fear is resolved, a new one “comes out of nowhere.” You know what’s always constant though? The HA. Think about it.

Hypo27
19-04-18, 17:48
Yeah your right.

Emc
19-04-18, 18:16
I think the fact that you’re asking this on an anxiety forum means it’s probably related to your anxiety. If the pain isn’t particularly severe & is coming & going on its own I think it’s reasonable to wait and see what happens over the next few days. Are you eating normally? Are bowels moving ok?

Shadowhawk
19-04-18, 18:28
Following Emc's question, keep in mind that even totally normal things like excess gas can cause stomach pain and cramping ( can think of countless times i have had those pains). Dietary changes, or even just food that doesn't agree with you can cause problems for a little while, as can things like mild food poisoning.

Don't sweat it, and don't overthink it. Your body will let you know if there is a real problem to be concerned with, so try not to dwell on it.

Emc
19-04-18, 18:29
Oh absolutely I was asking those questions more in terms of constipation can cause pain, gas can, eating the wrong foods can etc so lots of harmless explanations!

nomorepanic
19-04-18, 18:49
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.